WATCH your Watch B4 you fly.

Reaction score
SOMETHING TO REMEMBER B4 FLYING

Today I visited a close friend of mine who is a retired CSM of the Green Berets and I took him out and flew my Phantom 3 Standard for him, over his neighborhood, which he was surprised to see from 150 feet up. I use an iPAD Air 2 because of the size and it is easier for me to see.

Initially, I took the P3S out, turned everything on and could not get the screen to register the P3S or get clearance to fly. I knew from past experience that the flight location was ideal and could not think, at first, what was the problem. Then I remembered my old days of flying a P2 and that anything metal on me or close to me would mess up the P2 and controller big time. I also remembered that I was wearing a brand new Timex watch that cost over a 100 bucks and does amazing things, so I took the watch off and put it in my Jeep. Then started all over again with the controller, P3S and iPad and it worked perfect. So I have no doubt in my mind that my watch was causing some major interference with the controller. The flight went perfect.

Long story short, be DAMNED sure you are not wearing some high dollar watch or silver jewelry on your hands or wrists, especially a watch with GPS or other electronics.

K.M.Harp ----- Did ya try it again with the watch to confirm this was an issue - might be worth at test and interesting to know!

I know my Rolex doesn't bother it - LOL!

No idea, you might have had to do a gew tests to get some resolution like put it back on and even if it takes off fly no more than 10 feet hight to see how it behaves

100 Bucks for a Timex, is a high dollar watch, I have owned Seiko's, Tag's and a few others from Switzerland. This Timex is the Tide, Temp Model and therefore uses Sat's to figure **** out depending on time of day. It all boils down to electronic interference that your watch can cause if it has the capability to do so. A plain Rolex, self winding, would probably have no effect whatsoever. Regardless, I put this out there to help people and hopefully keep them flying safe, if people are going to argue the point, then load your arms up with all kinds of electronic **** and have fun flying. It was just something I found out again, today and for me personally, I will remove my watch before flying. You do what the hell you think is right for yourself and more power to you.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
100 Bucks for a Timex, is a high dollar watch, I have owned Seiko's, Tag's and a few others from Switzerland. This Timex is the Tide, Temp Model and therefore uses Sat's to figure **** out depending on time of day. It all boils down to electronic interference that your watch can cause if it has the capability to do so. A plain Rolex, self winding, would probably have no effect whatsoever. Regardless, I put this out there to help people and hopefully keep them flying safe, if people are going to argue the point, then load your arms up with all kinds of electronic **** and have fun flying. It was just something I found out again, today and for me personally, I will remove my watch before flying. You do what the hell you think is right for yourself and more power to you.

Agreed - No disrespect intended K.M.Harp - I wasn't arguing or disagreeing on the point at all - I was serious about wondering if you tried the watch again to see if it was repeatable - maybe not worth the risk though! Appreciate you posting the info since any findings by anyone with regard to safe flying is a good thing to make others aware of (the Rolex reference was just a joke)!

Interesting on the Timex you have - never knew that even existed and sounds like for certain could interfere! Thank you for the info. Safe flying my friend!

So call me "CHEAP"! No way I can justify a watch that cost more than my first truck! Never thought to look up a Rolex. Hundred dollar Timex sounds PERFECT!

Agreed - No disrespect intended K.M.Harp - I wasn't arguing or disagreeing on the point at all - I was serious about wondering if you tried the watch again to see if it was repeatable - maybe not worth the risk though! Appreciate you posting the info since any findings by anyone with regard to safe flying is a good thing to make others aware of (the Rolex reference was just a joke)!

Interesting on the Timex you have - never knew that even existed and sounds like for certain could interfere! Thank you for the info. Safe flying my friend!

Let me apologize myself for being so thin skinned. But after a year of posting not only on this forum or website and many others, I get tired of being criticized or jumped on when all I try to do is to help and help others learn from what I have learned. People are just so quick to go negative on just about anything written nowadays, they fail to look beyond at what is the reasoning behind a story or information provided.

I haven't worn a watch since I retired at 60. I do consult my phone occasionally when necessary. The time is just a curiosity now.

Hey Skywalker,
You did not specify your chronological age, which is cool brother. But wrap your head around this: TIME is a CONSTRUCT of the HUMAN MIND and ONLY of the HUMAN MIND. There is nothing else on this planet that we call EARTH, that can tell TIME, as we, as humans, know and understand it. Animals, fish, and such things are doing things based on instinct, the phase of the moon, polarity of the sun to the earth, so on and so forth. But, TIME itself, only has value if you as a Human Being, personally, wants to assign it value. I would venture to guess that the majority of the Human Race does assign TIME a value, because their lives and existence are based on TIME. So your not wanting to look at a WATCH, is admirable in my opinion. But remember this, if your flying a DJI PHANTOM, regardless of model, or model of Quad Copter, you had better keep you *** looking at the flight time or you'll be buying a new QUAD. All Quad's, regardless of size have a time based length of operation and for everyone's safety, please be sure to stay totally aware of your flight time. END OF LINE.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20