Washington DC SFRA edge flying

Reaction score
I’m visiting a friend who lives on the very edge of the outer ring of the Washington DC SFRA. Shamefully, I admit in spite of being an instrument rated pilot for 20 years, I cannot determine the exact set of regs to apply when determining if I can even fly UAV flight under 200’ at the edge of this airspace.
How would one go about determining the jurisdictions in play here? My initial thought is no flight is permitted at all. But upon a deductive process of looking at the area of proposed flight and gradually adding airspace filters in the Dronebuddy app, it really only seems the local airport is in play.
However, using another app it seems it is really a prohibited flight.
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg

Ive attached a map indicating roughly the area of proposed flight. Any thoughts on the airspace and flight?

Where on the map are you wanting to fly specifically?

Are you flying as a hobbyist of Part 107 operator?

As hobbyist if it's 5 miles or less from the tower and if it's not Class BRAVO you just call the tower and "notify" them of your intentions. You aren't asking for approval but they can DENY your flight for safety reasons.

If it's Class BRAVO then you must get approval prior to any flight into that airspace.

AS Part 107 you'll fly according to the airspace. If it's anything but GOLF you'll need to request and get an Authorization or Waiver for the specific are of flight.

Where on the map are you wanting to fly specifically?

Are you flying as a hobbyist of Part 107 operator?

As hobbyist if it's 5 miles or less from the tower and if it's not Class BRAVO you just call the tower and "notify" them of your intentions. You aren't asking for approval but they can DENY your flight for safety reasons.

If it's Class BRAVO then you must get approval prior to any flight into that airspace.

AS Part 107 you'll fly according to the airspace. If it's anything but GOLF you'll need to request and get an Authorization or Waiver for the specific are of flight.

Thanks. I’m a hobbyist. I’ve completed the part 107 course as a pvt pilot but haven’t turned in the certificate to my instructor for sign off.
Location of flight is Edgewater, MD right on the South River. Lee county airport is definitely in play. My biggest question is really the edge of the outer ring of the SFRA. General Aviation can fly in the outer ring with flight plans, two-way communication/clearance and appropriate transponders...but where does that leave to drone pilot who typically is lacking all three of the above?

Thanks. I’m a hobbyist. I’ve completed the part 107 course as a pvt pilot but haven’t turned in the certificate to my instructor for sign off.
Location of flight is Edgewater, MD right on the South River. Lee county airport is definitely in play. My biggest question is really the edge of the outer ring of the SFRA. General Aviation can fly in the outer ring with flight plans, two-way communication/clearance and appropriate transponders...but where does that leave to drone pilot who typically is lacking all three of the above?

The sUAS operator (aka drone pilot) doesn't take any of those into consideration because we have very specific guidelines that only pertain to sUAS operations in and around controlled airspace.

As it stands right now (and this is likely to change at some point in the not too distant future) hobbyist only worry about if they are 5 miles from the airport and make contact only if they are within that 5 miles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4