WARNING - major errors on 3rd flight after firmware update

Reaction score
Took it out to the golf course to do a second test flight to get my camera settings perfected.. Compass error right off the bat. OK.... So I try to calibrate and 4 new errors come up, "error your compass has interference" "error your firmware needs upgrading" "error your app is not up to date with latest version" "error irregularities with calibration (or something like that) " same spot I've flown for over a year to test my phantoms... Firmware is updated and was tested twice. App is up to date, flown it twice since Monday... ? And as for the compass... It wouldn't even let me calibrate. Weirdest thing... Nothing worked. Worst part in my eyes was this.. The camera gimbal was on when I poured up and , as soon as I hit calibrate it went straight LIMP with no motors and all blinking red lights.

Should I panic? Any helpful steps? Please be easy on me because I don't want a lecture on what I did wrong, moreso a way to fix it and not be completely depressed as I have a major shoot this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: TulsaReiner
Tried a cool down.. Turned it on. Compass error right off the bat. And this just says compass error. All red. Will not let me even calibrate. Gimbal still limp after it does its normal routine. Tried IMU recalibration. Normal except compass is reading 0-0-0 and nothing.

Please someone help a guy out. Even if you don't want to respond but might have a possible solution.. Please help. I can't find anything on this.

Starting to think this product is a high percentage lemon POS with minimal/delayed warranty claims.

Can you upload your firmware update logs?

Can you upload your firmware update logs?
Thanks soso much for responding. I much I can't at the moment.. But any ideas on what it might it MIGHT be so I can sleep? I seem tons of Internet questions about "abnormal compass errors" but no real solutions that seem relevant.. Or troubleshooting options? I tried every recalibration I could find. Won't stop doing...
Red yellow green light. Nothing.

Try an IMU calibration. I believe that needs to be calibrated after each firmware update. Maybe also relinking remote controllers? I can't think of anything else...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
This is what happened to my camera after the update. Very pissed I did the update....

Reactions: AbsPapa
Try an IMU calibration. I believe that needs to be calibrated after each firmware update. Maybe also relinking remote controllers? I can't think of anything else...
+1
If that fail...
Are you wearing an apple watch??
Did you leave the phantom near a large magnet in your car or home??? The compass may need degaussing before it can recalibrate..

Screen shot the compass values from your device.

+1
If that fail...
Are you wearing an apple watch??
Did you leave the phantom near a large magnet in your car or home??? The compass may need degaussing before it can recalibrate..

Screen shot the compass values from your device.
To the above posters. I flew great yesterday after update. I got home today.. Decided to take it out to the same open field and fly I... Why not do an IMU since I haven't since the update. Did IMU. Looks good. Pack up go to open area. As I've done 50 times. Turn on.. Compass error...gimbal starts, levels, then go limp on its own. OK, Do compass calibration.. Red green yellow all lights. Restart etc, same thing. No chance to calibrate. Says I need new firmware... Then immediately switches and says firmware up to day. Then back to "no firmware" .. Back and forth.. Once that settles, the compass goes nuts and says compass error.. OK.. Let's go to a very safe imu place (not that I've ever needed to?) and do that... Imu numbers look good Except that compass #s are all zero. Not the normal range. Nothing.

This all stems from firmware update, then IMU calibration the next day. Any chance I can safe my P3?

To the above posters. I flew great yesterday after update. I got home today.. Decided to take it out to the same open field and fly I... Why not do an IMU since I haven't since the update. Did IMU. Looks good. Pack up go to open area. As I've done 50 times. Turn on.. Compass error...gimbal starts, levels, then go limp on its own. OK, Do compass calibration.. Red green yellow all lights. Restart etc, same thing. No chance to calibrate. Says I need new firmware... Then immediately switches and says firmware up to day. Then back to "no firmware" .. Back and forth.. Once that settles, the compass goes nuts and says compass error.. OK.. Let's go to a very safe imu place (not that I've ever needed to?) and do that... Imu numbers look good Except that compass #s are all zero. Not the normal range. Nothing.

This all stems from firmware update, then IMU calibration the next day. Any chance I can safe my P3?

What does the firmware log say? Upload or paste here. Did you update both bird and controller?

What does the firmware log say? Upload or paste here. Did you update both bird and controller?
I successfully updated both the controller and the p3. I checked both text documents, all successfull. I confirmed the correct firmware on the device when powered up. Flew it twice. Then did imu calibration 2 days later, then all went to hell. I'm at work now so can't paste the log, but it's all up to date.

Are there any steps to take to fix this? Like for example, is there a reset method to start over? Any way to fix a compass that has been magnetized?

Last question.. Is a compass acting like this the contributing factor to the limp gimbal

I dont' know the answer to that-- the compass information is collected by the Phantom hardware and the processors use all of this information for systems operation. This is a trial and error answer. For now, try it and see if it works and solves your issues-- :)

Reactions: YolevonALLin
I dont' know the answer to that-- the compass information is collected by the Phantom hardware and the processors use all of this information for systems operation. This is a trial and error answer. For now, try it and see if it works and solves your issues-- :)
So just trying to be super safe.. The O ly videos I can find of people degrousing the compass is a P 1... Same exact way?

So just trying to be super safe.. The O ly videos I can find of people degrousing the compass is a P 1... Same exact way?

Let us know if the problems still exist after you degauss the compass and recalibrate it in a location where there is no electrical or magnetic interference. I cant fly in my back yard without getting compass errors-- chain link fences on three sides. Over head power lines, towers, fences, rebar or wire in concrete will all affect the compass

Yes. A compass is a compass. Unless a comet the size of the moon appears, magnetic fields are what they are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.