Walkera g2d power question

Reaction score
I see that the power connector for the walkera won't connect to the balance plug on the regular phantom 1 battery.

I have a power connector from a burned up cheap chinese gimbal that fits the battery, can I splice it onto the walkeras red/black wires? I don't feel like taking apart the phantom yet for the pitch control or to power it that way yet.

Doesn't your bird have a couple power leads hanging out the hole at the top of the right front landing gear? You could hook up to that. Might want to test it first, make sure it's 12 volts.

I don't see any reason you could not do what you suggest. Just make sure you are getting the proper voltage to your gimbal.

I found out through trial and error that you don't really need the power connection to operate the gimbal. The Naza will provide power through the pitch control servo lead.

I use a separate 7.4 850 ma battery from a small quad I have. It has the same JST connector as the lead on the G2D. You could probably even use a 9 volt battery. The aux power lead from the phantom is in one leg corner. There is enough sticking out to grab and pull out some without taking the quad apart..

Doesn't your bird have a couple power leads hanging out the hole at the top of the right front landing gear? You could hook up to that. Might want to test it first, make sure it's 12 volts.

I don't see any reason you could not do what you suggest. Just make sure you are getting the proper voltage to your gimbal.
It does, but unfortunately they're not hanging out. There's maybe like .1mm sticking out :p. So I guess I'd have to take it apart. If I did do that do I just splice the wires together?

It does, but unfortunately they're not hanging out. There's maybe like .1mm sticking out :p. So I guess I'd have to take it apart. If I did do that do I just splice the wires together?
Do what Monte55 just said, give it a little pull, they should come out a couple inches. Peek inside from the battery opening if you need to cheat a little.

Yep, just splice them together... AFTER you figure out which one is hot, should be RED HOT.

Ok awesome! I just used some tweezers to get them out.

So before I do this I'll just confirm, cut off the red jst to the walkera, splice them, red to red black to the gray wire coming out of the Phantom? And then when i plug in the battery all should be good?

Remember to have your quad level when powering up the gimbal. Once it settles down, pitch and level can be adjusted with the little plastic screwdriver with pots V1 and V2

Get a fire extinguisher and have a phone handy. I've heard of gimbals going crazy and scratching fingernail polish a little.

If you elevate your Phantom by putting each landing gear on a book, of equal height, the gimbal won't keep banging into the ground and freaking out.
The gimbal needs the camera in place to balance itself.

Don't forget the shrink tubing.:eek:

Get a fire extinguisher and have a phone handy. I've heard of gimbals going crazy and scratching fingernail polish a little.

If you elevate your Phantom by putting each landing gear on a book, of equal height, the gimbal won't keep banging into the ground and freaking out.
The gimbal needs the camera in place to balance itself.

Don't forget the shrink tubing.:eek:
Good point. I also suggest balancing the camera in gimbal with no power. I have the Gopro 3 white. I had to tape a nut to the battery side of camera to balance better. I also have the camera upright.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Good point. I also suggest balancing the camera in gimbal with no power. I have the Gopro 3 white. I had to tape a nut to the battery side of camera to balance better. I also have the camera upright.

Another good point Monte55. Some of the simplest stuff never crosses my mind. Balance the camera on the gimbal before adding power. No wonder my gimbal has to work so hard to keep up, I start out listing to port. Duuh... o_O

I have my GoPro upright as well. Gonna try flipping it over and see if it balances better on my cheap Chinese gimbal.

Got it all figured out. Looks a bit ghetto with electrical tape but I know nothing about soldering nor have a soldering gun. It works well now.. I wish I had wired my cheap chinese gimbal like this. It wouldn't be dead. I tried to connect it to my battery and it was a bit dark, and the leads just barely connected and only for a millisecond and it was dead.

Cant wait to test it and see if it vibrates as much as the cheap chinese gimbal

Walk around with it powered up. Or sit at the table and put the bird the normal flight attitudes. You don't have to fly to test it's performance. Chase the cat around the house with it running without props. The motors will go crazy though, trying to maintain it's position at start.
Maybe not such a good idea about the cat.

Glad to hear you've got it squared away. Some crimp connectors might be a good idea.

The motors don't even need to be started. Sup widdat

Thanks Nick, you're right and I don't want to scare the new guy too much.

Here's how my mind works:
Powered up = plugged in.
With it running = motors started.

Yeah it's so much easier. I was so used to having to plug in the other gimbal.

Went on a test flight already, 2 actually. Can't see much(because it's 11pm) but overall it seemed to be working okay. I can see the camera rolled a few times because I yawed quickly, but it straightens itself out eventually. I can also see there was a tad bit of vibration certain times during the videos. I'll balance it tomorrow while it's off like you said.

One cool thing is now I can turn on my blue lights I have on it while the gimbal is running.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

I installed my walkera G-2D on my Phantom 1.1.1 and the connector for the pitch (3- wires) actually provided power
for the gimbal. Is this ok or do I still need to connect the dedicated power connector? Please advice, thanks in advance!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic