Vr goggles

If you want super clear resolution, VR isn't the way. With VR your 720 feed isn't 720 on the screen anymore because you duplicate the view and put two images on the screen, virtually reducing the resolution by half. The Litchi app does this duplication to put two images on one screen, an image for each eye.

With the Headplay HD goggles ($250) you're looking at one image that's a full 720 resolution. It's like you're in an Imax theater.

A very nice upgrade for Headplay HD is the RHO optical replacement lens ($46) to replace the standard Fresnel lens, making things even more clear. Once you experience the Headplay clarity you'll be amazed, way better than fatsharks at twice the money.

Reactions: Jussaguy and IBV
If you want super clear resolution, VR isn't the way. With VR your 720 feed isn't 720 on the screen anymore because you duplicate the view and put two images on the screen, virtually reducing the resolution by half. The Litchi app does this duplication to put two images on one screen, an image for each eye.

With the Headplay HD goggles ($250) you're looking at one image that's a full 720 resolution. It's like you're in an Imax theater.

A very nice upgrade for Headplay HD is the RHO optical replacement lens ($46) to replace the standard Fresnel lens, making things even more clear. Once you experience the Headplay clarity you'll be amazed, way better than fatsharks at twice the money.
The Oculas CV1 will run at 1200x1080 per eye.

It is actually more than half that it cuts off for some reason I can't remember but some of the VR gear when it shows its specs (including the CV1) shows the per eye specs so if it says 1080p, almost legally it has to mean per eye or its false advertising so check the specs of the item before you think "1080p, It must be getting 480 per eye".

Also keep in mind that 480P against your eye ball is NOT the same as 480p on a television or something. Food for thought. Also, the 720p downlink can be blown up but it might cause latency. Not sure.

Yeah, personally I have no desire to control the bird with my head. I'll keep the controls. Just me.
I Talked too soon.. Litchi was either listening to me or I'm just in luck. Litchi just released beta head tracking with yaw movement. It's midnight here.. gonna test it out tomorrow.

The Oculas CV1 will run at 1200x1080 per eye.

It is actually more than half that it cuts off for some reason I can't remember but some of the VR gear when it shows its specs (including the CV1) shows the per eye specs so if it says 1080p, almost legally it has to mean per eye or its false advertising so check the specs of the item before you think "1080p, It must be getting 480 per eye".

Also keep in mind that 480P against your eye ball is NOT the same as 480p on a television or something. Food for thought. Also, the 720p downlink can be blown up but it might cause latency. Not sure.
1200X1080? What kind of format is this??? o_O

Another question:
Whenever you use any of these apps, (VR goggles, Litchi) the DJI app does not run at all, meaning, you do not have any registration of your flight time, date, etc. and neither does it accumulate on the DJI flight data for the drone?
I guess that is a bit of a bummer for me, which I really like to keep (in one easy place) all the data of the drone.

Last edited:

I agree!

My VR's just came in. I must say I am quite impressed. I thought they would feel much cheaper than they do for $20 bucks. They actually seem like decent quality. And they came with the Bluetooth remote to access my phones a post settings without pulling it out. Testing it in my office with my S5 Edge and Litchi it seems to work great. I'll be taking it for a test flight tonight and will report back on my experience and thoughts. I did see someone is selling a Head play unit in the classifieds. If I end up liking the FPV experience, it will probably be my next purchase. I already installed the HTML module so I might as well :).
I just wanted to make sure I liked flying this way. Plus, with an HTML pair, I can let others wear them while I fly via my tablet or iPad.

1200X1080? What kind of format is this??? o_O
1080p.

Read about what VR does to pixels and making them appear like actual standard resolutions. It's off but I might have quoted the wrong numbers but I don't think so but they are off standard.

1080p.

Read about what VR does to pixels and making them appear like actual standard resolutions. It's off but I might have quoted the wrong numbers but I don't think so but they are off standard.
I can tell you from testing them they are not high res. Are they bad, no. I think anyone wanting to try fpv out to make sure they like it, make sure they don't get motion sickness, before dropping 200+ on a high res pair, will be pleasantly surprised and quite happy. I mean for 20 bucks?
Well worth it. I was actually impressed and I haven't even flown with him yet. That was just watching YouTube videos in VR mode and testing it with my Phantom with litchi and carrying it around my office like an idiot. :)

I can tell you from testing them they are not high res. Are they bad, no. I think anyone wanting to try fpv out to make sure they like it, make sure they don't get motion sickness, before dropping 200+ on a high res pair, will be pleasantly surprised and quite happy. I mean for 20 bucks?
Well worth it. I was actually impressed and I haven't even flown with him yet. That was just watching YouTube videos in VR mode and testing it with my Phantom with litchi and carrying it around my office like an idiot. :)

What do you mean from "testing them"?

If they are just viewers, they are as high as your phone will go. If they are real VR headsets, you can get an HDMI output at extremely high resolutions.

Their StarVR headset is an HMDI that is capable of a 5,120 x 1,440 pixel resolution and an even more ridiculous 210-degree viewing angle.

I use some vr googles, with the program drone VR. Would say that, for the price, it is an ok option. I use my iphone6 on it, and notice that it drains the phone battery like a energizer bunny going uphill!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What do I mean when I said testing them? I mean I tested them hooked to my phantom in my office. But had not flown with them. Tested them to make sure I had them working properly. I know they are not high resolution, I knew that going in. I got these to make sure I enjoyed using FPV before dropping cash on a higher end, high res, headset.

What do I mean when I said testing them? I mean I tested them hooked to my phantom in my office. But had not flown with them. Tested them to make sure I had them working properly. I know they are not high resolution, I knew that going in. I got these to make sure I enjoyed using FPV before dropping cash on a higher end, high res, headset.
Mine seem to work well gonna attempt to try them with my drone tomorrow just depends on weather. So far YouTube is pretty legit with the VR goggles lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1080p.

1080p is correct.
The note 4 is 1280x1440 per eye in resolution. The question is how much of the 720 is resized for FOV and how much of that is rescaled to meet processing speeds.

1080p is correct.
The note 4 is 1280x1440 per eye in resolution. The question is how much of the 720 is resized for FOV and how much of that is rescaled to meet processing speeds.
To me I don't think is worth the extra cash . It's clear enough specially with my range extenders hardly gets choppy

I got the headplay right off the bat and I love them. Go app still runs on my tablet and that's my big reason for the headplays. The view is great and all the telemetry I need is right there. I need reading glasses and the image was a bit blurry so I got a pair of round reading glasses that fit in the headplays and permit me to see all the screen. My regular square glasses would cut off the bottom telemetry so a cheap pair of amazon glasses did the trick. Yes they look gooffy but are light and reasonably comfortable. Installing the hdmi was easy. Now I take my family and friends for a ride and they love it.

Reactions: IBV
I got the headplay right off the bat and I love them. Go app still runs on my tablet and that's my big reason for the headplays. The view is great and all the telemetry I need is right there. I need reading glasses and the image was a bit blurry so I got a pair of round reading glasses that fit in the headplays and permit me to see all the screen. My regular square glasses would cut off the bottom telemetry so a cheap pair of amazon glasses did the trick. Yes they look gooffy but are light and reasonably comfortable. Installing the hdmi was easy. Now I take my family and friends for a ride and they love it.
They make ones with diopters (sp?) but I'm glad you like the one you have!

Last edited:
The headplays I got had a second diopter lens but it was not quite enough, comes with age and wisdom I guess. I had to throw in the wisdom, dang I hope I learned a few things by now.

Reactions: Jussaguy
does the litchi vr work with the standard? I have goggles but still deciding whether to buy litchi

I have both Litchi and 3D FPV. Like them both. 3D FPV allows full 360 headtracking when the phantom is stationary. It also allows you to view with the phone front camera to check surrounding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav