VPS and Next Phantom Version

Reaction score
With all the hub-bub about the announcement of a potential release of a P4 and talk about internal VPS, I have to ask, why even have VPS?

How many of you use it and how often?

To me it seems like the space for the VPS could be used for other practical features or just not include it and save the weight.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I tend to agree with you "gringorio" - VPS is a very sophisticated unit and that can at times create more problems than its intent.

Really when you think of it most people have it turned off when flying outside (especially over water) since it has been blamed for a lot of crazy activity when flying!

The intent is for this unit to allow the Phantom to hover when there is no GPS lock at a variable height of .3- 3.0m (indoors) - I find it hovers well without VPS also. Even indoors there are a lot of variables that need to be considered as to the surface you are flying/hovering over etc.

Of note what I found out is you have to turn VPS off each time you start up for flying - once is not enough since it starts up each time when everything is turned on. Even if nothing is added to replace VPS it would make the Phantom a little lighter. The P3S is 2.68lbs (without VPS), P3A/P is 2.8lbs (with VPS), so one could assume the VPS weighs 0.12lbs?

Maybe the next Phantom will give us the option of VPS or not - replacement cost for the VPS is $95.00 US - so there is a perk for saving some dough without it!

Reactions: gringorio
Of note what I found out is you have to turn VPS off each time you start up for flying - once is not enough since it starts up each time when everything is turned on. it!

Is this true? It doesn't remember the OFF setting between power off and ons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gringorio
Is this true? It doesn't remember the OFF setting between power off and ons?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked mine today because I was wondering about this too... It is still off since I first turned it off a long while back.

No need for VPS here!

Reactions: arizeda
To me a short range VPS is not much use, I never use mine.... but if they improve that in favor of true obstacle avoidance that might be worth a pause to look.

I could see something that could be adjusted to say 50 feet to 10 feet could be useful in many lines of work. The machines at CES that had obstacle avoidance were a combination of sonar and IR cameras... and pretty complex software I'd imagine, but there were a couple units that showed this off pretty well... of course they were in smaller indoor controlled areas, an outside demonstration would have been nice.

I would however say that it would be nice if it was a accessory add on, not just automatically installed. If you are not going to use it then why add the weight/battery drain...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20