Void Volume

Reaction score
In maps made easy in determining volumes there is also a "void volume" measurement. What does that mean?

I thought it might be in determining an area that was carved out or a "hole" but what does "void volume" mean when measuring a pile on a flat surface?

That is correct it is for determining volumes of holes.

The same process is repeated for the airspace in this volume or the "Void Volume" and is useful for measuring the air volume of a hole or pit. The "Void Volume" is measured downwards from the "Maximum Height". The sum of the "Calculated Volume" and the "Void Volume" is roughly equal to the "Area of Measurement" multiplied by the difference between the "Maximum Height" and the "Base Plane".

Thanks but what does this measurement mean when measuring a pile?
According to their volume support page, it appears that they calculate a few things to get the total material volume. First, they determine the minimum and maximum elevations for the area of interest, then they break the AOI up into 4"x4" pixels. Those pixels (voxels might be a better word) stretch from the base elevation to the maximum elevation and the program measures how much material and how much void make up the 4"x4" column. Your total volume is the sum of all of the material and your void volume is all of the empty space in the AOI between the min and max planes. You could use this void volume to measure how much material would be needed to fill an excavation or other similar use.

OK, so if I understand this correctly, if there were a wall around the base of the pile extending upwards to to the height of the top of the pile, the "void volume" would be the space inside? The void volume would be what would be necessary to solidly fill up the container to the maximum height of the pile?

OK, so if I understand this correctly, if there were a wall around the base of the pile extending upwards to to the height of the top of the pile, the "void volume" would be the space inside? The void volume would be what would be necessary to solidly fill up the container to the maximum height of the pile?
You got it, "Area of Measurement" multiplied by the difference between the "Maximum Height" and the "Base Plane".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20