Visiting Punta Cana in Nov. Drone?

I just got this from Dominican Republic yesterday. I sent in a request for info and then dropped the ball on it. But others earlier had said that I should not have a problem flying all around our resort area in Nov. Like you Doug, I can't read Spanish. So I translated it. And I still don't know what this last letter means. LOL. Should I continue to deal with trying to get a permit to fly in Nov when I am there for my cousins wedding? Was there any problem at the airport in Dominican Republic at all?

PDE RAD 20 - Sanciones Administrativas

A TODOS LOS OPERADORES, OPERADORES AÉREOS NACIONALES y AERONÁUTICOS PERSONALES

Por este medio, el Instituto Dominicano de Aviación Civil (IDAC), la conformidad con los requerimientos de Consulta establecida en el Reglamento sobre la Emisión y la Enmienda del RAD, Reglamentos, Manuales y otros Documentos Técnicos, RAD-22, , Operadores Aéreos Nacionales y Aeronáuticos Personales, que están disponibles en la Página Web del Instituto Dominicano de Aviación Civil (IDAC) www.idac.gob.do http://idac.gob.do/reglamentacion-y-registro-nacional-De-aeronaves/pde-y-borradores-rad/, el Proyecto de Enmiendas del siguiente Reglamento:

• PDE RAD 20 - Sanciones Administrativas

Con agrado,

Annis Agramonte

Coordinadora de Gestión DRRNA

Enc. Control de Reglamentos y

Documentos Técnicos

Auditora Lider IRCA, ISO 9001

Translation is:
PDE RAD 20 - administrative sanctions

to be imposed on all operators, aircraft operators and national aeronautical personal

By this means, the Dominican Civil Aviation Institute (IDAC), compliance with the requirements of query set in the regulation on the issue and the amendment of the RAD, regulations, manuals and other technical documents, RAD-22, National and aeronautical air operators, which are available on the website of the Dominican Civil Aviation Institute (IDAC) www.idac.gob.do http://idac.gob.do/reglamentacion-y-registro-nacional-De-aeronaves/pde-y-borradores-rad/, The Draft Amendments to the following regulations:

PDE RAD 20 - Administrative Sanctions

With pleasure,

Annis Agramonte

DRRNA

Enc Management Coordinator. Control of regulations and

Technical Documents

Leading auditor IRCA, ISO 9001

I speak Spanish and I am Dominican... that statement does not mean anything for drone operators. It does not said specifically that drones are not allow. Been a Dominican myself I can guarantee you that you are not going to have issues just be aware that in the airport, the customs like to steal some money from tourists. Make sure your phantom is with you at all times.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I speak Spanish and I am Dominican... that statement does not mean anything for drone operators. It does not said specifically that drones are not allow. Been a Dominican myself I can guarantee you that you are not going to have issues just be aware that in the airport, the customs like to steal some money from tourists. Make sure your phantom is with you at all times.
Thank you so much for the reply macoman! I have carried on my Phantom here in the states with no issue at all. Do you think I will be good with that for the flight to Dominican Republic? As far as coming into the country with it? I will also contact the resort that we just booked with as well to see if they are cool with me flying around the area.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply macoman! I have carried on my Phantom here in the states with no issue at all. Do you think I will be good with that for the flight to Dominican Republic? As far as coming into the country with it? I will also contact the resort that we just booked with as well to see if they are cool with me flying around the area.
I think someone in this forum I read the other day asked the hotel there if he can fly and they let him with no issues, so you will be all right. Now if I was you, I will ask or find out if the TSA have issues when you returning back from Dominican to the states with your phantom. The US customs or TSA may give you some issues.

I think someone in this forum I read the other day asked the hotel there if he can fly and they let him with no issues, so you will be all right. Now if I was you, I will ask or find out if the TSA have issues when you returning back from Dominican to the states with your phantom. The US customs or TSA may give you some issues.
Regarding US customs - if you're concerned about this simply bring your original receipt showing that you already purchased it in the USA. Technically, you do not need to declare it since you owned it when you left USA, just like all the other items you packed.

Reactions: macoman
Just returned from Bahia Principe Ambar Blue in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

Note:
- I did get a free Dominican Republic IDEC permit through [email protected] The application is only available in Spanish. A friend helped me complete the application. The process took about 3 1/2 weeks after I sent my completed application. I completed the application process through email. The IDEC also has a office at the PUJ airport - open week days during the day.

- I also requested and received written permission to fly my drone from the resort where I was staying. I kept a printed copy of both the IDEC permit and resort permission with me when I flew.

Here is my travel vlog with drone content.

♦♦♦I'm open to your feedback♦♦♦

What did you like?

What should I do better?

Drone content in this video:
0:13 Brief drone content
0:52 Brief drone content
1:44 Main drone content
5:58 Brief drone content

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When arriving to Punta Cana do you have to show your drone? when leaving Punta Cana do you need to open your drone case?

My husband & I will be traveling to Puna Cana April/May 2018 for our honeymoon & anniversary. Wanted to double check if we need to get a permit for our personal drone. My husband has a DJI Phantom 3. I tried to go to the website but its all in Spanish and can't translate it. We are vloggers and I want to make sure we are able take the drone. any troubles at the airport with drones?

My husband & I will be traveling to Puna Cana April/May 2018 for our honeymoon & anniversary. Wanted to double check if we need to get a permit for our personal drone. My husband has a DJI Phantom 3. I tried to go to the website but its all in Spanish and can't translate it. We are vloggers and I want to make sure we are able take the drone. any troubles at the airport with drones?
I just got back from there in November from my Cousins wedding.I also tried the FAA equivalent through emails. And I could not make and sense out of it at all. I took my P4P in my backpack and carried it on. Never had one issue at all. They had no problem with me flying over our resort at all. We were at Sanctuary Cap Cana btw. Also, I ask one of the guides on our boat day trip that we did. He said they love it when people bring their drones on those excursions. Anything goes the way it seemed from everyone down there. It was an awesome place.
DJI_0188 fb.jpg

Please help, thank you very very much.

Need to get the paperwork done ASAP as my flight is on the 15th February.
I have contacted the email address and got the documents they sent in spanish.

How to fill this out? I only understand english. Also is it necessary for me to have drone liability insurance or so? they had asked for a list of places I would be flying as well.

Please help, thank you very very much.

Need to get the paperwork done ASAP as my flight is on the 15th February.
I have contacted the email address and got the documents they sent in spanish.

How to fill this out? I only understand english. Also is it necessary for me to have drone liability insurance or so? they had asked for a list of places I would be flying as well.

MavicPilot180,

Thank you for joining this free forum. As a bit of disclosure, we are all simply volunteer members, just like you.

I noticed you have chosen to not identify your country of origin. Since I am from the USA, I am going to assume you are from the USA.

What drone do you intend to bring to the Dominican Republic and what is its weight?

Just a bit more disclosure, its debatable as to weather or not you even need a permit for light weight personal drones such as a DJI Phantom. I had a Dominican Republic IDAC permit, printed resort permission, and kept both plus a $20 UDS bill in a “Dominican Republic Sandwish” in my pocket. This gave me comfort, but in the end, no one ever asked to see it during my stay, including at the airport.

As to document translation, find someone who is fluent in Spanish or put yourself through the process of using a translating service such as the free Google Translate app. I tried Google Translate, but I made too many errors on my first request so my first application was rejected. A friend / colleague fluent in Spanish and specifically fluent in Dominican Republic slang, helped me complete the form. Possible sources for translations could include your travel agent, friends, family, co-workers, insurance agent, or bank. If none of those work, try a Internet based fee service.

As to insurance, they are not asking about drone insurance so you are protected from loss, they are asking about liability insurance so damage you may cause with your drone to people or property are covered.

I carry a seven figure personal blanket umbrella liability policy and the IDAC accepted this insurance. I’ve carried that policy for all of my adult life. You could contact your insurance provider about starting such a policy.

I’m in the final stages of finishing my preparations for another international vlogging trip, including drone content. So I’m right there with you on pre-trip excitement. Since my trip to the Dominican Republic in the below video, I’ve upped my filmmaking and editing experience as well as done some equipment upgrades. The drone I’m taking on this next trip is a DJI Mavic Pro. Its small size is simply conveneient to me. I’m going to try to have more narration, have a story with a beginning middle and end that has some sort of conflict and happy resolution, and break it into smaller bite-size videos with stable shots and clear audio. I’m also super excited about the return flight, my first ever flight in a pod. I’ve dreamed about pod flying ever since I saw the YouTube video where Casey Neistat flew in a pod onboard a Emerits Airbus A380, although I’m paying a very small fraction of the cost he referenced in his video.

Best wises on a wonderful and safe adventure. Please share your video once you renturn.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
When arriving to Punta Cana do you have to show your drone? when leaving Punta Cana do you need to open your drone case?

All I can tell you is flying into PUJ Punta Cana airport in the Dominican Republic airport, with my drone inside my carryon luggage, I was not asked to open my luggage comming or going.

Be warned, thefts at PUJ, which is a a private airport, are unfortunatly common. Theft is your primary risk in my opinion. Once you leave the airport secure area as you make your way to the luggage area or transportation area, keep your group together, keep moving, get into your transport, trust no one. Assume any friendly person offering to help you with your luggage is a thief trying to seal from you. Give a loud, clear “no, gracias” as you keep moving. They may try to grab luggage from you. Retrun that with a very loud “NO GRACIAS!” then physically pull your luggage away from them. Discuss this with your entire party ahead of time so your party does not think you are being rude. You are being safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31