Visiting Punta Cana in Nov. Drone?

Reaction score
My cousin is getting married in Punta Cana in mid Nov of this year. Anyone have any tips on flying my drone their? I have sent a message through UAV Systems International to the Dominican Republic asking permission or for a permit. Anyone on here know if this easy to get or expensive? Thx for the help!

Reactions: Suhail78
I'm trying to translate the Spanish application right now. Have to fill it out and send it in to them. Said I could also apply online but that I had to first show up to one of 3 locations to get my username and password to do it! LOL. So it's gonna be a runaround sounds like. The permit is free if I ever get it.

are you the guy who lost the drone in Louisville on to of the building and ended up getting it back weeks later?! that was an awesome thread in this forum, i think your famous now ;-)

are you the guy who lost the drone in Louisville on to of the building and ended up getting it back weeks later?! that was an awesome thread in this forum, i think your famous now ;-)
Yep I'm that famous guy! LOL! I ended up with two P4's at one time. Sold both of those and now am on the P4P.

Well I have downloaded the application from the Dominican Republic and it's all in Spanish. So I translated the PDF's to English. But the last 3-4 pages that I fill out did not convert. So now I don't know what to do?

Thanks so much for the link to this thread Suhail! That helped a bunch. I'm def gonna forget the Permit route. Sounds like you just need to make sure it's cool with the resort.

Let me know how it goes man! I might be heading down that way at the end of march and if its just that easy then i'll take my P4 along for the trip!

Just a heads up, according to the link posted below, it doesn't sound like you even need a permit if the drone weighs less than 4.4 pounds. I have a P4, and they only weigh about 3lbs.

It states (in Spanish which I'm translating, so sorry if it's not word for word what it says), "UAV's that weigh less than 4.4lbs do not need authorization from the IDAC Dept of Operations but should still follow certain conditions. They should be constructed from flexible materials, that when coming in contact with people or objects it could break. It should not exceed 1,500 feet/455 meters, flight distance from the operator."

“IDAC emite Resolución para regular su uso en el país” - IDAC

Condiciones especiales

Las aeronaves no tripuladas de peso menor a 4.4 libras no necesitarán de autorización del Departamento de Operaciones del IDAC, aunque sí deberán cumplir con algunas condiciones. Como el hecho de ser construidas con materiales flexibles, que al contacto con objetos o personas se puedan romper, o distorsionar. Y no deben exceder los 1,500 pies, 455 metros, de distancia en vuelo con su operador.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just returned from Bahia Principe Ambar Blue in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

Note:
- I did get a free Dominican Republic IDEC permit through [email protected] The application is only available in Spanish. A friend helped me complete the application. The process took about 3 1/2 weeks after I sent my completed application. I completed the application process through email. The IDEC also has a office at the PUJ airport - open week days during the day.

- I also requested and received written permission to fly my drone from the resort where I was staying. I kept a printed copy of both the IDEC permit and resort permission with me when I flew.

Here is my travel vlog with drone content.

♦♦♦I'm open to your feedback♦♦♦

What did you like?

What should I do better?

Drone content in this video:
0:13 Brief drone content
0:52 Brief drone content
1:44 Main drone content
5:58 Brief drone content

Just returned from Bahia Principe Ambar Blue in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
♦♦♦I'm open to your feedback♦♦♦

What did you like?

What should I do better?
Very nice work Doug. Great job at persevering and actually getting a permit and written permission from the resort. That might be a first. I hope antnyp85 is correct as I will be bringing my P4 without a permit for the second time next week. An excellent job of getting set up shots, cutaways, and other staged shots that often get overlooked. Great job of mixing up the camera style. Hand help, timelapse, drone, and so on. As a professional editor, I will be happy to provide some constructive criticism as it seems that is what you are looking for.

Length: With the exception of very close family (which very well might be who the video is for) it is way too long for most viewers to digest. 2-3 minutes is a good length.

Nat sound: Natural sound is the important other half of what makes video's compelling. With a few exceptions, the majority of the video has no sound at all other than music. I like the old quote off the top but the rest of the opening sequence has no nat sound. A few now boarding, fasten your safety belts, Bong, engine roar, etc would help make people feel like they are there. You clearly put a lot of time and energy into putting this together don't skimp on the audio.

Drone shots: Level to the horizon. Not sure about the P3 but you probably can adjust the gimbal horizon levelness in app. If not punch in on the video and level it in edit. Spinning shots while the drone stays stationary should be avoided. Try to avoid getting your propellers in the shot, and a personal preference I don't like seeing the drone operator in the video.

That's all I got.
Good job.

Reactions: DougAles
Very nice work Doug. Great job at persevering and actually getting a permit and written permission from the resort. That might be a first. I hope antnyp85 is correct as I will be bringing my P4 without a permit for the second time next week. An excellent job of getting set up shots, cutaways, and other staged shots that often get overlooked. Great job of mixing up the camera style. Hand help, timelapse, drone, and so on. As a professional editor, I will be happy to provide some constructive criticism as it seems that is what you are looking for.

Length: With the exception of very close family (which very well might be who the video is for) it is way too long for most viewers to digest. 2-3 minutes is a good length.

Nat sound: Natural sound is the important other half of what makes video's compelling. With a few exceptions, the majority of the video has no sound at all other than music. I like the old quote off the top but the rest of the opening sequence has no nat sound. A few now boarding, fasten your safety belts, Bong, engine roar, etc would help make people feel like they are there. You clearly put a lot of time and energy into putting this together don't skimp on the audio.

Drone shots: Level to the horizon. Not sure about the P3 but you probably can adjust the gimbal horizon levelness in app. If not punch in on the video and level it in edit. Spinning shots while the drone stays stationary should be avoided. Try to avoid getting your propellers in the shot, and a personal preference I don't like seeing the drone operator in the video.

That's all I got.
Good job.

Wow! I'm honored that you took the time to provide such detailed constructive feedback.

All of it is awesome. What's even more awesome is I can put this feedback to use right away.

My only head scratcher is the technical aspect of leveling the horizon. I'll do some reading on this. My drone, a humble Phantom 3 Standard, has been giving me error codes, compass errors, calibration errors, failed calibrations, locked compass, strong interference, etc. Its presently back at DJI for what they already told me will be a warranty repair. Who knows, maybe I'll get it back and it will be level. Most likely that is wishful thinking.

Some day I hope to get a more sophisticated drone, but I will not use that as an excuse. I can do a lot of improving with my current equipment, even if the horizon level needs to wait for an upgrade.

Again, thank you. Your feedback is most helpful.

Good fun video Doug! So did you ever even get ask about having a permit for your drone? I'm still going the first week of Nov and I don't have time or want to mess with getting the stupid forms they sent me filled out. It's all in Spanish as you said. LOL. So I'm hoping just the ok from the resort will be fine for me.

Reactions: DougAles
Good fun video Doug! So did you ever even get ask about having a permit for your drone? I'm still going the first week of Nov and I don't have time or want to mess with getting the stupid forms they sent me filled out. It's all in Spanish as you said. LOL. So I'm hoping just the ok from the resort will be fine for me.

To answer your question, no one ever asked me for a form or anything. Several resort guests did try talking to me as I was flying, general curious type questions. I make all reasonable attempts to position myself away from people, but they came to me after take-off. I politely said for their safety I need to focus on the drone operations but would be happy to answer their questions after I land.

I just got this from Dominican Republic yesterday. I sent in a request for info and then dropped the ball on it. But others earlier had said that I should not have a problem flying all around our resort area in Nov. Like you Doug, I can't read Spanish. So I translated it. And I still don't know what this last letter means. LOL. Should I continue to deal with trying to get a permit to fly in Nov when I am there for my cousins wedding? Was there any problem at the airport in Dominican Republic at all?

PDE RAD 20 - Sanciones Administrativas

A TODOS LOS OPERADORES, OPERADORES AÉREOS NACIONALES y AERONÁUTICOS PERSONALES

Por este medio, el Instituto Dominicano de Aviación Civil (IDAC), la conformidad con los requerimientos de Consulta establecida en el Reglamento sobre la Emisión y la Enmienda del RAD, Reglamentos, Manuales y otros Documentos Técnicos, RAD-22, , Operadores Aéreos Nacionales y Aeronáuticos Personales, que están disponibles en la Página Web del Instituto Dominicano de Aviación Civil (IDAC) www.idac.gob.do http://idac.gob.do/reglamentacion-y-registro-nacional-De-aeronaves/pde-y-borradores-rad/, el Proyecto de Enmiendas del siguiente Reglamento:

• PDE RAD 20 - Sanciones Administrativas

Con agrado,

Annis Agramonte

Coordinadora de Gestión DRRNA

Enc. Control de Reglamentos y

Documentos Técnicos

Auditora Lider IRCA, ISO 9001

Translation is:
PDE RAD 20 - administrative sanctions

to be imposed on all operators, aircraft operators and national aeronautical personal

By this means, the Dominican Civil Aviation Institute (IDAC), compliance with the requirements of query set in the regulation on the issue and the amendment of the RAD, regulations, manuals and other technical documents, RAD-22, National and aeronautical air operators, which are available on the website of the Dominican Civil Aviation Institute (IDAC) www.idac.gob.do http://idac.gob.do/reglamentacion-y-registro-nacional-De-aeronaves/pde-y-borradores-rad/, The Draft Amendments to the following regulations:

PDE RAD 20 - Administrative Sanctions

With pleasure,

Annis Agramonte

DRRNA

Enc Management Coordinator. Control of regulations and

Technical Documents

Leading auditor IRCA, ISO 9001

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members