Vision+ versus Iris+

Reaction score
3D Robotics Iris+ looks really interesting. Has anybody tried it? How does it compare to the Vision+ ?

From what I can tell, the Iris+ has these advantages:
1. Point of interest.
You can designate a POI and fly nice smooth arcs around it while keeping the camera focused on the POI.

2. Follow me.
It can follow you (or anyone carrying a GPS enabled android device) while keeping the camera focused on you.

3. Better ground station. Much better.

On the other hand the Iris+ seems to have these disadvantages:
1. Two axis gimbal.
Since I've only every flown a Vision+ (3-axis) I don't really know how much of a disadvantage a two axis is for aerial videography.

2. Shorter flight time.
They claim 15 minutes, but that probably means 9 or 10 in the real world.

3. Harder setup and confusing documentation.
DJI's docs aren't great either, but the vision+ is definetly ready to fly out of the box.

Dont forget that the iris is X2 the price...and Im not sure its 2x better...If I can find the cash to get a quick disconnect and a Hero4 I'm not sure I will ever change quads.

lsteigerwalt said:
Dont forget that the iris is X2 the price...and Im not sure its 2x better...If I can find the cash to get a quick disconnect and a Hero4 I'm not sure I will ever change quads.

Seems like its about the same price. $750 base unit. Approx $1,300 - $1,700 with add ons (FPV system, gimbal, etc).

I think one of the negatives against the Iris+ I should have included was range. I don't think you can fly very far away. At least that's what I read somewhere in some review, but I am not sure.

At first I thought the lack of FPV would be a big negative for the IRIS but actually if you think about it, you probably don't want FPV. If this thing is following you around then presumably you are doing something interesting. Like jumping out of a burning building while rescuing a kitten. So you really don't have time to be looking at a screen anyway.

It has FPV. Its an add on, but it comes with an FPV monitor.

I think some of the confusion here might be that I am talking about the Iris+ (PLUS) not the older Iris.

http://3drobotics.com - then click the Iris+ and check out the configuration options. The first option is for "3DR FPV Live View" - it looks pretty nice. It comes with a monitor that attaches to your controller... but it seems like you have to install it - which is a hassle.

I was trying to make that decision not too long ago and went for the vision+

All the pros were listed already so I will just comment on my own cons

- Feels little flimsy and mickey mouse-ish of some sort around battery compartment .
-The LEDs are weak
- Looks like a giant spider in the air ( I like good looking quads :)
-Instead of a clumsy follow me feature , I'm better off teaching someone else ( wife or girl friend ) to fly and film me .
Phantom is the best platform for it
- Portability . Phantom hands down .

Apologies if this gets a little O/T, but I just hate to see 3DR stumble the way they are. I really like 3DR as a [American] company and have seen a whole lot of interaction with the community on their part. They've got an open system which they and they alone are responsible for providing to the community. I'm not a big fan of APM as a FC right now, primarily due to rather poor GPS flight characteristics (IMO), but many many thousands of people are satisfied with it, and it keeps improving. Their software however, is only available on Android, which further limits their market. DJI is multi-platform and multilingual.

But I fear they just aren't able to capture people's imaginations and aesthetic tastes the way DJI can. The Iris, for all of it's merits, just doesn't have that much going for it compared to a Phantom, much less something like an Inspire (which I'll grant may not be a fair comparison based on price). Iris really need to step up their game in terms of hardware design and utility. They're still selling quads with Tarot 2D gimbals, FFS. They don't even HAVE a 3D gimbal option. Yeah, you can get one yourself, but that's not the point; They're not thinking about what people want and they're not catching up to this huge "drone" wave. They may have had a part in starting it, but that's not going to keep them alive. By the time GoPro and God knows who else enters the market, they're going to be nothing more than a fond memory if they don't start playing hardball.

I would not recommend an Iris+ over a P2 with a 3D gimbal, and the only advantage to it over a P2V+ would be the GoPro capability. Even then you'd still have to go out and find and attach a 3D gimbal somehow. In that case, you might as well get a P2 with a Zen, not an Iris. Iris is less capable in terms of flight times, less portable and an arguably inferior flight controller for photographic and video applications. Oh yeah, and it's fugly.

I might sound like a huge hypocrite, but the "follow me" feature isn't there yet, IMO. It's a selling point, but after a brief search on YouTube and there aren't many videos featuring those features aside from 3DR themselves. I wonder why?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFwvITl8o8[/youtube]

At this rate, I still would prefer my hand controls over autopilot until it gets better than this. Just my opinion though. But I still recommend 3DR when someone asks me what other brands of UAVs are out there.

lsteigerwalt said:
Dont forget that the iris is X2 the price...and Im not sure its 2x better...

??? ... IRIS+ = $750 ... How does that equate to 2x the price?

erikgraham said:
I think one of the negatives against the Iris+ I should have included was range. I don't think you can fly very far away. At least that's what I read somewhere in some review, but I am not sure.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending upon one's perspective, in the US we are required to maintain LOS while flying. IRIS+ has no trouble reaching these distances, plus more!

IRIS+ specs:
Payload capacity: 400 g (.8 lbs)
Radio range: up to 1 km (.6 miles)
Flight time: 16-22 minutes, depending on payload

P2V+ specs:
Communication Distance (Open Area)
FCC: 800m or .497 miles

It appears that 3DR put their focus on The Cult of Personality rather than technical and mass market innovation.

Most of us has seen the videos of Collin Guin and Chris Anderson chumming around with Richard Branson. Does that really mean anything to the mass market ?

Unless 3DR uses some of Bransons war chest money and apply very forward thinking innovation... rapidly... they could very well loose momentum in this fast moving market.

3DRs control systems is its real core competency. A mass market system solution (eg flying platform solution) is a different animal.

Does the 3DR Robotics provide any telemetry? One of the features about the Phantom 2 V+ is the real time telemetry data.

cmhorka said:
lsteigerwalt said:
Dont forget that the iris is X2 the price...and Im not sure its 2x better...

??? ... IRIS+ = $750 ... How does that equate to 2x the price?
$750 exclusive camera and gimbal!! And exclusief tilting controlle, FPV, GS ETC ??

Draettig said:
Does the 3DR Robotics provide any telemetry? One of the features about the Phantom 2 V+ is the real time telemetry data.
yes-comes with telemetry installed.

erikgraham said:
lsteigerwalt said:

Seems like its about the same price. $750 base unit. Approx $1,300 - $1,700 with add ons (FPV system, gimbal, etc).

I stand corrected...I was thinking about the inspire1...wasnt aware of this bird...looks interesting...lets hope that some keen software folks can give us those functions with our extended flight times...ya baby that would be sweet.

varmint said:
Apologies if this gets a little O/T, but I just hate to see 3DR stumble the way they are. I really like 3DR as a [American] company and have seen a whole lot of interaction with the community on their part. They've got an open system which they and they alone are responsible for providing to the community. I'm not a big fan of APM as a FC right now, primarily due to rather poor GPS flight characteristics (IMO), but many many thousands of people are satisfied with it, and it keeps improving. Their software however, is only available on Android, which further limits their market. DJI is multi-platform and multilingual.

But I fear they just aren't able to capture people's imaginations and aesthetic tastes the way DJI can. The Iris, for all of it's merits, just doesn't have that much going for it compared to a Phantom, much less something like an Inspire (which I'll grant may not be a fair comparison based on price). Iris really need to step up their game in terms of hardware design and utility. They're still selling quads with Tarot 2D gimbals, FFS. They don't even HAVE a 3D gimbal option. Yeah, you can get one yourself, but that's not the point; They're not thinking about what people want and they're not catching up to this huge "drone" wave. They may have had a part in starting it, but that's not going to keep them alive. By the time GoPro and God knows who else enters the market, they're going to be nothing more than a fond memory if they don't start playing hardball.

I would not recommend an Iris+ over a P2 with a 3D gimbal, and the only advantage to it over a P2V+ would be the GoPro capability. Even then you'd still have to go out and find and attach a 3D gimbal somehow. In that case, you might as well get a P2 with a Zen, not an Iris. Iris is less capable in terms of flight times, less portable and an arguably inferior flight controller for photographic and video applications. Oh yeah, and it's fugly.
I agree. The Phantom looks pretty sleek. The Iris looks like a bug. I'd like to see a good competitor for the Phantom, but haven't seen one yet.
Maybe Parrot will get there, eventually.

walkera scout x4 is a pretty good looking turkey ..
The phantom is still hard to beat .

Attachments

• Thanksgiving.jpg
    Thanksgiving.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 437

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik