Vision Positioning Comes with a lot of warnings.

Reaction score
If you take the time to read the manual about the VPS, you should be aware they list a ton of warnings about where it might cause problems. Like inclined roof lines, over water or monochromatic surfaces like concrete or waving tall grass caused by the wind. Putting your hand under the hovering Phantom may cause a problem, dogs going under it may cause a problem. Turning it off outside may be a good idea, in my opinion. If flying indoors make sure you change your mode switch so the Phantom doesn't get confused when it gets close to windows or sliding glass doors and captures GPS satellites indoors. If you have set the mode switch correctly for indoors flight, it will ignore the GPS inputs.

Other problems mentioned, reflections, in and out of shaded areas on the ground, identical repeating tablets like brick sidewalks, roof tiles, sound absorbing surfaces, sound reflecting surfaces..... moving water surfaces. So, take all of these factory warnings, and I assume there are ten more that will be added as the accident reports come in, like flying low over a sudden drop, like the edge of a retaining wall or cliff or flat roof, or top of a table. If the outcome of these problems was it didn't work, not a big deal. But if the outcome of these issues, is to crash your Phantom, you will be very pissed if you start reading this section of the User's Manual after your new Phantom is laying busted on the ground.

The question you might ask yourself, given all of these areas of risk, should you turn off the VPS system until you find a flying situation where you need it. For example, when you want to try flying indoors. Buzzing around outside the VPS may pick up false indications over a roof, or tree and influence your flight path when you don't expect it, or want it to change your altitude. P2 pilots never had it, and also did not report any of the crazy crash reports coming in from the P3 when it is flying over inclined roofs, or sharp drop-off cliffs while flying close to the ground.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 7.09.55 AM.png

Last edited:
Have you read the warnings in your paracetamol packet? You might die

I'm turning VPS off and using that space for my tracking device

I can think of 101 shots I'd like to make (and intend to) that all fall into the bracket Don't do it!

But isn't that what the Phantom is all about? Taking a calculated risk to get the images you want? When the weather settles and the light is right, I still intend to try for that shot under the bridge crossing the river. At this stage in my life, I'd much rather try these things and fail, than sit at home wondering.

Reactions: dirkclod and Bigdz
I'm turning VPS off and using that space for my tracking device

Ditto; I have gotten along fine before we had VPS. I can always turn it back on if I decide to do some indoor flying. I am waiting for my replacement P3P so I can at least test it to see for myself whether it has any redeeming value for outdoor flying. But I think I would rather have that spot available for the new P3 Flytrex when they come out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic