Vision+ is awesome

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My Phantom Vision+ arrived about a week ago and I've been really been intensively flying the Phantom during that time (at least 90 minutes per day particularly early mornings and during my lunch break at work).

I've read every flyaway story on this forum, on RC Groups and others and have been VERY particular in having a detailed pre-flight check list, careful selection of flight area, safe flying practices and constant vigilance and monitoring of any abnormalities. I've been very safety conscious and treat this as a test platform.

I've got to say that after about a week, the Phantom Vision+ has been absolutely FANTASTIC. No glitches at all and I'm surprised just how well the whole system works together. I'm pretty happy with the results of the smooth video quality and results of the RAW stills (although the lens isn't to the same caliber as my $2500 Nikon wideangle prime lens).

My only concern at the moment is that my vision+ is running flight computer firmware v1.08. That is the firmware that I've been running from Day One and I have NO intention to update it.

However, it seems likely that DJI will be releasing an update to the Vision app for my iPhone, I just hope that it doesn't require me to update my flight computer software.

The only issue with v1.08 is that " FPV mode" in the Vision app doesn't work, as my gimbal is always stabilised. Has anybody noticed this?

Yes the fpv doesn't work but that doesn't bother me. I have had 1.08 running since day 2 and will not update no way no how. Mine has been flawless as well after some 20 flights. Simpler is just better IMO.

I as well am on 1.08 (downgraded before my first flight) and currently have no intention of updating and limiting/crippling my bird. Mine flies beautifully with zero issues encountered so far. *knock on wood*

You may want to turn off auto updates on your phone. You will still get notices of updates but you can select which ones to install.

Geo

HunterSK said:
Hi everyone,

My Phantom Vision+ arrived about a week ago and I've been really been intensively flying the Phantom during that time (at least 90 minutes per day particularly early mornings and during my lunch break at work).

I've read every flyaway story on this forum, on RC Groups and others and have been VERY particular in having a detailed pre-flight check list, careful selection of flight area, safe flying practices and constant vigilance and monitoring of any abnormalities. I've been very safety conscious and treat this as a test platform.

I've got to say that after about a week, the Phantom Vision+ has been absolutely FANTASTIC. No glitches at all and I'm surprised just how well the whole system works together. I'm pretty happy with the results of the smooth video quality and results of the RAW stills (although the lens isn't to the same caliber as my $2500 Nikon wideangle prime lens).

My only concern at the moment is that my vision+ is running flight computer firmware v1.08. That is the firmware that I've been running from Day One and I have NO intention to update it.

However, it seems likely that DJI will be releasing an update to the Vision app for my iPhone, I just hope that it doesn't require me to update my flight computer software.

The only issue with v1.08 is that " FPV mode" in the Vision app doesn't work, as my gimbal is always stabilised. Has anybody noticed this?

I am curious, I keep my Vision+ updated and have had zero problems except for the few weeks where the FPV with app would freeze but with app update works 100% now. I had a Vision before my Vision+ and have flown with v1.08. Besides the ability to rapidly descend now regulated by updates which is actually a positive thing to avoid descending to quickly and crashing, what's the big hype with v1.08 versus running current version?

Geoelectro said:
You may want to turn off auto updates on your phone. You will still get notices of updates but you can select which ones to install.

Geo

We are talking about flight control firmware on the Phantom. Good recommendation nonetheless if one has also downgraded the phone app from the latest.

HunterSK said:
Hi everyone,

It's all smiles till the bird flies the coup. Good luck and may the force be with you [WINKING FACE]

I don't think I have read of any flyaway or lost control or whatever you label it with the plus running 1.08. Correct me if I am wrong. I thing that speaks volumes fir very 3.0+

Edit. **** spellcheck. For version 3.0+

My P2v flew away running 1.08 Been flying it since January, learned a lot and like the OP really enjoyed it and had zero issues with loss of control (except for a couple ring vortex incidents and a crash that may have been due to some bad solders). My bright side is that I really wanted the Plus and will get one at some point but I will not fly without a tracker again.

jimdenburg said:
My P2v flew away running 1.08 Been flying it since January, learned a lot and like the OP really enjoyed it and had zero issues with loss of control (except for a couple ring vortex incidents and a crash that may have been due to some bad solders). My bright side is that I really wanted the Plus and will get one at some point but I will not fly without a tracker again.

I think this speaks volumes about the PV+....if you own one, it's only a matter of time [POUTING FACE]

jimdenburg said:
**** you spoiling my party. I don't know your p2v flyaway saga. Can you point us to the thread?

offtosleep said:
I think this speaks volumes about the PV+....if you own one, it's only a matter of time [POUTING FACE]
So you think every plus sold and out there flying will flyaway at some time. I am sorry you lost yours but don't curse the rest of us. I hope you are not anxiously awaiting the next disaster story!!!

I actually buried my story in someone elses thread http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16780&start=10

Not trying to rain on everyone's parade, just saying that it can happen and I kick myself from not getting a tracker! It think with this technology being so new and with the whole concept of agile development, things like this are bound to happen, from user error, interference, Divine Intervention etc. And I'm not dissing anyone's DJI, I'll get one again...and a tracker. Here's where I think mine went...

Attachments

• misfits.jpg
    misfits.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 293
BlackTracer said:
offtosleep said:
So you think every plus sold and out there flying will flyaway at some time. I am sorry you lost yours but don't curse the rest of us. I hope you are not anxiously awaiting the next disaster story!!!

I guess I am a bit on the angry side. I guess I should rephrase and say, "if you own one, I'm hope you're in the lucky crowd."

I guess I am a bit on the angry side. I guess I should rephrase and say, "if you own one, I'm hope you're in the lucky crowd."[/quote]

and I was trying to say that if you own one, a tracker is cheap insurance if it fly away on you (a lot cheaper then a tracker and a second Phantom!).

Yes it is awesome. I wish I could get out more and fly everyday like I used to. So far over 130 flights with the P2V and almost 20 with P2V+. No fly aways or problems like that. A few weeks ago with the P2V, I suddenly lost power far out over a lake - it behaved like it was at 15% and trying to auto-land. But it was really at 60%. I throttled up and flew it back ok. That particular battery is a little problematic although since then I've flown with it (carefully) a number of times. It is from early December and has 65 flights on it now and was conditioned every 20 flights as recommended.

I'm thinking about a tracker though after reading all the sad stories here and on facebook. I fly carefully and have had good luck so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl