Vision+ camera and and possibility to edit bitrate?

Also installed latest firmware: everything seems to be OK. Made in house video test: 15mins. at 1080p30 and 15mins. at 720p60. Camera working OK, no video recording problems. Camera seems to be hotter, but if it is OK after 2x15min continuous filming, then heat should not be an issue during flight. Now will test camera outside, in real flight, in same wheat field as with modified firmware v.1 and compare results: the only problem is rainy here again, but IMHO picture looks nicer (compare with modified firmware v.1), especially at 720p60.
Of course it's always trade-off: always is tempting to use 1080p resolution, but, in my opinion, 720p60 is the best quality video settings which we can get from Phantom 2 Vision+ camera.

Big thanks to Falsificator, Jarkko, StevenQX and all others forum members.

Also installed latest firmware: everything seems to be OK. Made in house video test: 15mins. at 1080p30 and 15mins. at 720p60. Camera working OK, no video recording problems. Camera seems to be hotter, but if it is OK after 2x15min continuous filming, then heat should not be an issue during flight. Now will test camera outside, in real flight, in same wheat field as with modified firmware v.1 and compare results: the only problem is rainy here again, but IMHO picture looks nicer (compare with modified firmware v.1), especially at 720p60.
Of course it's always trade-off: always is tempting to use 1080p resolution, but, in my opinion, 720p60 is the best quality video settings which we can get from Phantom 2 Vision+ camera.

I'm back from holidays and tomorrow I'll test the 2nd firmware version. I was wondering if through firmware editing is possible to achieve 1080p at 60fps...i think the answer is no but if jarkko would be so kind to ask Falsificator would be great to know what he think about

Nerius have you tried the new version on both wide and narrow field of view?

Ok tested: for me it was better the previous version. True hd effect is only enabled on narrow FOV and produce noisy (grain) pictures that are worst than before. No improvment for me with bitrate at this time but i've to check deeply in the firmware because even if falsificator says 24mbit the resulting mp4 is 20mbit bitrate. I'm now at home and i'm trying to understand how to edit values and what they do.

I don't know if i'll be able to upload the firmware this evening because the resulting firmware using the toolbox to compile at a closer look is different from the original and i'm afraid it will brick the cam. Falsificator don't use the tool to mod the firmware, i'm sure about that. I asked him about that but at the moment don't answer, i hope the application owner will answer soon to be able to compile a working firmware with my bitrate table editing.

I don't know if i'll be able to upload the firmware this evening because the resulting firmware using the toolbox to compile at a closer look is different from the original and i'm afraid it will brick the cam. Falsificator don't use the tool to mod the firmware, i'm sure about that. I asked him about that but at the moment don't answer, i hope the application owner will answer soon to be able to compile a working firmware with my bitrate table editing.
I noticed too that AFT made firmware file is slightly smaller than Falsificator's Fw. So we have to wait for Falsificator's guide (IF he is willing to tell how he makes P2V+ fc200 firmwares). I believe that we need to alter bitrate values for all resolutions, not only one. The original values are something like 15,12,10....

I noticed too that AFT made firmware file is slightly smaller than Falsificator's Fw. So we have to wait for Falsificator's guide (IF he is willing to tell how he makes P2V+ fc200 firmwares). I believe that we need to alter bitrate values for all resolutions, not only one. The original values are something like 15,12,10....
Yes is smaller and different so dont use it. The 2nd one imo is worst than the first while for you the first has a bad contrast. I didn't notice that, have you tried to use average meter instead of center or spot in the ae settings?
Ps: i don't think falsificator would like to share his knowledge because has been online today and never answered. I think he prefer to make firmwares instead of tell us how to do it. Anyway I'm trying to understand by myself and I'm close to a solution (i hope) :D

Wait wait wait wait...i've discovered an interesting thing 1920 x 1080 at 60 fps progressive is listed in the resolution list of the cam! And many other resolution too...now we need to discover if is possible and how to activate it...;)

This Is my modded firmware with maximum bitrate range 21-18-16

http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/MqiMbGyt/file.html

Thanks to Falsificator that helped me

Last edited:
Wait wait wait wait...i've discovered an interesting thing 1920 x 1080 at 60 fps progressive is listed in the resolution list of the cam! And many other resolution too...now we need to discover if is possible and how to activate it...;)

Thank you. Can we get a changelog: I'm very interesting what kind of others changes you made ? Or it's just adjusted bitrate (and which camera resolutions are affected) ?

Thank you. Can we get a changelog: I'm very interesting what kind of others changes you made ? Or it's just adjusted bitrate (and which camera resolutions are affected) ?
Only bitrate i change for all the (main) resolutions. I increased by 6mbits each value of bitrate. 15->21 12->18 10->16 and so on.
I'll try it when back from work :)

Wow! It would be nice to hear how did you manage do build right size fw .bin... ;) How did you come up with those bitrate numbers? Is 21Mbps really the absolute maximum for fc200 cam? If we are gonna try to activate 1080p60 it will sure need much higher bitrathe than 21Mbps?

Last edited:
Wow! It would be nice to hear how did you manage do build right size fw .bin... ;) How did you come up with those bitrate numbers? Is 21Mbps really the absolute maximum for fc200 cam? If we are gonna try to activate 1080p60 it will sure need much higher bitrathe than 21Mbps?
Simply editing the bin file without using AFT to decompile it. I don't know if is the maximum but is a test because i noticed that on latest fw from falsificator even if he set 24mbits video recorded were at lower bitrates...so i decided to proceed in this way to test. The best way to try is to fast move the camera from 0° to 90° and viceversa...in original firmware the resulting video is poor quality, we've to check if with these modifications is better

@Jarkko Sydänmaanlakka have you discovered exactly which ambarella chipset is in vision plus camera? We need to know that information before to continue investigation on how to enable 1080p 60fps

Last edited:
Can we not just keep flashing new firmware indefinitely? If that's the case, what's the worry with testing out even higher bitrates? I can't forsee why testing out a higher bitrate could brick the camera. If anything it would experience a write error because the write speed of the SD card reader/writer wouldn't be able to keep up.

I wonder if then we can enable such things as 1080p at 60fps.

Edit: I've got a spare vision plus camera at home. I'm going to open it up and see exactly what Ambarella chipset is inside. I'm also wondering to what extent I'd be able to just replace the camera and sensor with a next gen Ambarella model...if it would work. A shot in the dark anyway.

Hi @ilovecoffee have you open the camera to check what is the chipset inside?

Flashed @StevenQX version firmware in the morning. Will try to test after work if weather conditions permits ;)

Reactions: StevenQX

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl