Viewing file names in-flight?

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of discussion (frustration, really) about DJI's file-labeling system, but I can't seem to find an answer to a related question: Is it all possible to view recorded file names in-flight? Either after capture or during (video)?

I have a HUGE yard of shipping containers to inspect with my P4P. They are nicely organized in rows and uniformly painted (blank--no labels) on their tops, which is the surface I'm to document. I'm struggling to determine the best method for keeping my files organized, since the container rows all look nearly identical and will be easy to confuse once I'm back at my office downloading the images/videos to a computer. If I can have someone quickly mark up a site map with file names while I fly/capture, that seems easy enough. But I suspect it's not possible in DJI GO 4.0?

If the file names aren't available, I'm open to suggestions. I've never played with the audio features for cached images but not sure that could help when gathering so many videos/images of over 800 container units...? And I don't trust attempting to keep track of the order the rows are documented knowing the sequence starts at DJI_0001 on my SD card. Too often a random capture takes place and just one will throw everything off. I need to be precise on this.

Thanks all.

I've seen a lot of discussion (frustration, really) about DJI's file-labeling system, but I can't seem to find an answer to a related question: Is it all possible to view recorded file names in-flight? Either after capture or during (video)?
You can view the captured images during a flight, but no file names are shown.

If you are taking a series of images, one trick that might help to keep keep track would be to turn the camera up and catch a sky image at the end of each row or anywhere you wanted to mark.
That way you could keep count of the number of images after each sky shot?

There might be some better ways to approach the problem.
What data are you hoping to collect?

You can view the captured images during a flight, but no file names are shown.

If you are taking a series of images, one trick that might help to keep keep track would be to turn the camera up and catch a sky image at the end of each row or anywhere you wanted to mark.
That way you could keep count of the number of images after each sky shot?

There might be some better ways to approach the problem.
What data are you hoping to collect?
Or hold a cardboard cut out with a different letter or number in front the camera before each shooting.

I had posted the same question because I am photographing rock cliffs for an archaeology team. At least the rocks are distinctive and I can match up the numbering and coordinates afterwards. I wish DJI would fix this so that the numbering can be checked during the mission and that the numbering would correspond to the KML file numbering (which is A,B.C,D, etc. Terrible. Should be numeric.) I have brought a laptop on some missions, but it is a real pain to do that.

If the reason for the inspection is to note containers that have some issue then forget keeping a record of the location of the good containers and focus on a way to make note of the location of the bad ones. That's assuming the vast majority aren't going to have an issue.

Thanks for the thoughts. I like the idea of pointing the camera skyward between each set to delineate between rows of units. Will take some discipline, of course. I think the yard is too large and the units too many to bring down the P4P and capture a placard, though that had crossed my mind as well and might be the most fail-safe.

Reactions: WhoUtink

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj