Videos

Reaction score
How does this sound, and is it acceptable? I love flying my phantom, if i did this in a field and recorded the video and gave it my client, would i be in trouble?

Considering i do the following -

I dont charge for the video

I have the field owners permission

I stay away from people and animals by a minimum of 50m

I dont fly near other buildings which i dont have the owners permission

Would i be in trouble and be breaking the law? Would i be open to prosecution?

Just wondering as this would be a great selling point on my business as long as i stuck to the above rules?

I would have thought that as long as i have the owners permission and keep a safe distance, no one can stop me? And i dont charge.

The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization. For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation.

Just the fact that you mentioned the word "client" makes it sound like you're running a commercial operation. If you're just doing it for fun though, then it should be fine.

Last edited:
How does this sound, and is it acceptable? I love flying my phantom, if i did this in a field and recorded the video and gave it my client, would i be in trouble?

Considering i do the following -
I don't charge for the video
It doesn't matter if you say you don't charge for flying, f you charge your client, the CAA would deem that to be obtaining a valuable consideration and that makes your venture commercial use.
I have the field owners permission
I stay away from people and animals by a minimum of 50m
I dont fly near other buildings which i dont have the owners permission
All irrelevant to whether the flight is commercial or not.
Would i be in trouble and be breaking the law? Would i be open to prosecution?
Just wondering as this would be a great selling point on my business as long as i stuck to the above rules?
I would have thought that as long as i have the owners permission and keep a safe distance, no one can stop me? And i dont charge.
The CAA would take a dim view of commercial flying without the appropriate licensing.
Would you be in trouble? Only if you came to the attention of the CAA.
But if you did ... none of the above would make any difference to the CAA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31