Video shaking with even intervals - need help please

Reaction score
Hi all, so I had a small crash that I described in this thread when my gimbal separated from the body. I did replaced the vibration absorbing board which broke, and everything appears to be back to normal visually. The gimbal does it's usual calibration dance and no other damage was done to the aircraft that I can see. Yet my video has periodic shaking which I can't get rid of. So far I did the following:

- Calibrated IMU several times
- Calibrated gimbal several times
- Replaced the white shock absorbers with new ones even though the previous had no damage
- Replaced the previous props with brand new set and calibrated them
- Checked that yaw arm screw is tight and aligned
- Checked that camera is aligned properly and no obstruction
- Checked the flat cable, no issues there

The fact that this vibration comes and goes at what seems to be even intervals when aircraft is still, and when I am moving it it actually smoother - I suspect that one of the motors may have vibration issue... but they all seem to be fine and I can't figure out how to trace this issue. The video is unusable in this state and I miss the smooth like butter video when I just got it. Any help or advice on what could e wrong would be appreciated.

Video:

Thanks

Last edited:
Even though the yaw arm set screw is tight, doesn't mean that the arm can't wobble on the shaft.
Turn the bird upside down and see if there is any movement (side to side perpendicular to the set screw direction) of the yaw arm on the yaw motor shaft.
I had a similar shaking in my video, and found that my yaw arm could be wiggled even though the set screw was tight.

Are you using zip ties on the gimbal dampeners or the actual clear posts from dji?

Even though the yaw arm set screw is tight, doesn't mean that the arm can't wobble on the shaft.
Turn the bird upside down and see if there is any movement (side to side perpendicular to the set screw direction) of the yaw arm on the yaw motor shaft.
I had a similar shaking in my video, and found that my yaw arm could be wiggled even though the set screw was tight.
Thanks, I will check again. I had to replace the WiFi antennas so I took the gimbal off and when I put it back on I thought I checked to make sure the arm is secure and not wobbly. But I will check again for sure.
Are you using zip ties on the gimbal dampeners or the actual clear posts from dji?
I had dampeners and when I couldn't cure this issue, I removed them and put small zip ties instead (very loose) since I've read that it could help. Didn't change anything in my case, but i am keeping zip ties on instead of dampeners.

Last edited:
Reminds me of when your in a car and some of the tires are out of balance, the vibration will come and go repeating over and over same length of time if holding the same speed.

Rod

Right, that's why I am leaning towards something with motor rather then with gimbal. I just checked the yaw screw/shaft again and there is no movement. I did lossen it up and re-tightened for a good measure, but I don't think it is the issue in this case.

Seems like you would be able to feel it though, in the past somebody was talking about out of balance props, they would hold the landing gear, and run the props speed up, and he could tell / feel the vibration if it was a prop. :rolleyes:

Rod

Reactions: 805hd
I just tried it, I can't tell any difference. There is some light vibration which I assume is normal no matter which side I hold. This is a puzzle.

Seems like you would be able to feel it though, in the past somebody was talking about out of balance props, they would hold the landing gear, and run the props speed up, and he could tell / feel the vibration if it was a prop. :rolleyes:

Rod
I would imagine that if you are holding the Phantom, and throttle up, you would feel a lot of vibration due to the bird fighting to lift. Especially if it were not being held 100% stable, since any movement allowed would cause the bird to counter the movment.

I had a similar issue with camera shake recently, drove me insane. Thought it was the props first then the gimbal. Turns out the zip ties I was using on the dampeners which I thought were loose and set perfectly were apparently a little snug and ended up being the issue. Switched back to the clear posts and the vibration was gone. Worth a try if you have some of those sitting around or at least try some new zip ties as loose as possible. Remember you only need 2. Take a deep breath, you will figure it out! [emoji482]

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with camera shake recently, drove me insane. Thought it was the props first then the gimbal. Turns out the zip ties I was using on the dampeners which I thought were loose and set perfectly were apparently a little snug and ended up being the issue. Switched back to the clear posts and the vibration was gone. Worth a try if you have some of those sitting around or at least try some new zip ties as loose as possible. Remember you only need 2. Take a deep breath, you will figure it out! [emoji482]
I tried it, unfortunately it doesn't help in my case. In fact, I had the clear posts first and thought maybe one of them is touching the body and causing this vibration - which didn't make sense since when it was new it didn't have this issue. But I decided to try zip ties and it didn't change a thing, so I am pretty sure it is not it in my case. You are right though - it does drive me insane. I am kinda giving up hope at this point. Thanks everyone for suggestions.

I tried it, unfortunately it doesn't help in my case. In fact, I had the clear posts first and thought maybe one of them is touching the body and causing this vibration - which didn't make sense since when it was new it didn't have this issue. But I decided to try zip ties and it didn't change a thing, so I am pretty sure it is not it in my case. You are right though - it does drive me insane. I am kinda giving up hope at this point. Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Dang. I had a feeling you are having a different problem because the video looked like the vibration was in and out. Mine was constant.

Best of luck.

Before anything else, have you tried with 4 brand-new props?
I have, two new sets actually and I balanced one of them just in case. Purchased the Du-Bro balancer specifically for that task... so that's definitely not due to props. I took the whole gimbal apart yesterday, verified that flex cable is nice and tight in all connections, checked gimbal motors, made sure nothing is touching anything, and recalibrated IMU and gimbal again. Went out today and same issue - wobble wobble. I can see the quad vibrating while hovering few feet of the ground. I did a long flight around the area while recording and had same shaking footage. I have another used body I picked up so I am putting the camera on that other body which will help me narrow it down to the body or gimbal/camera issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl