Video Quality question

Reaction score
I still get confused about all the different video formats etc. Why so many? Anyway, I basically know the difference between 720 p and 1080 p like on my Gopros. I bought a Sony SR-82 video camera in about 2007. Nice camera with 25 optical zoom and other features. About $700 then. I'm not sure of the video quality. If I check properties of a video it says width is 720 and hight is 480. I thought it was a 720p camera. When I check properties of my 1080 go pro video , it says width is 1920 and height is 1080. Sony is MPG files. Gopro studio does not support MPG format as I hear. I did a test video with Sony and wanted to see if YouTube would accept. At first YouTube rejected the upload. Not sure why. Tried a second time and it uploaded. At first, video would only play in 360 but now it's at 480. I think it looks terrible. Does the height number signify the resolution? Is my Sony camera just equal to a 480 p camera? Any explanations would really help. Thanks.
Nick.

The SR is an excellent video camera. The movie files are MPEG-2 (.MPG). Standard MPEG-2 is full frame rate (23.98–29.97 fps) and full-screen resolution (720 x 480 for NTSC and 720 x 576 for PAL). It is the format most favored for video on demand, DVD, and is the format for transmitting digital television, though that is beginning to change!

The SR is an excellent video camera. The movie files are MPEG-2 (.MPG). Standard MPEG-2 is full frame rate (23.98–29.97 fps) and full-screen resolution (720 x 480 for NTSC and 720 x 576 for PAL). It is the format most favored for video on demand, DVD, and is the format for transmitting digital television, though that is beginning to change!
So, is it considered or equal to a 720p or a 480p camera? The numbers confuse me. The video doesn't look that sharp. Kind of like I was shooting through a dirty window. I have it set at highest quality.

So, is it considered or equal to a 720p or a 480p camera? The numbers confuse me. The video doesn't look that sharp. Kind of like I was shooting through a dirty window. I have it set at highest quality.
Here's an example.....
The lens is perfectly clean.

As noted, your camcorder is only capable of SD video files along the lines of a DVD. As you’ve seen yourself, it cant compete with more current video equipment. Perhaps the chart below will help with visualizing the large difference between DVD quality and today’s 4K video. Your camcorder is the purple in the upper left.

As far as your upload to YT. Its normal for an uploaded video to slowly increase its max resolution as the file is processed at YT after uploading. Since 480 is the max for the file you uploaded, it stopped there. Had the file been HD or higher, those options would have also eventually appeared.

105A79B4-20E5-4FD4-9D4D-1E7EDD7BCAA4.png

Reactions: JoBe and LarBear360
As noted, your camcorder is only capable of SD video files along the lines of a DVD. As you’ve seen yourself, it cant compete with more current video equipment. Perhaps the chart below will help with visualizing the large difference between DVD quality and today’s 4K video. Your camcorder is the purple in the upper left.

As far as your upload to YT. Its normal for an uploaded video to slowly increase its max resolution as the file is processed at YT after uploading. Since 480 is the max for the file you uploaded, it stopped there. Had the file been HD or higher, those options would have also eventually appeared.

View attachment 100677
Thanks guys for the info.

Reactions: JoBe
I guess since I am not happy with the video quality of the Sony camcorder, I'll have to move on. Too bad as it's such a nice camera. I've been looking at some camcorders. I think my taste would get me into the $1000 area. Not sure. Then I had a thought. I have a Canon T2i that shoots 1080p video. I bought it in 2010 but never used it. Maybe took about 50 stills. This thing looks like it just came out of box. I also have the Canon 430 EX Flash that was about $330 at the time plus many extras. So, I thought...if I'm just trying to fill the void to where I want decent video to edit in with my gopro stuff, this may work. More control with a DSLR than a fixed focus action cam. I do a test and shoot about 15 seconds of video to see the image quality. All on manual. Loads to computer fine. Image is better than the Sony SR82. I do have an issue though. When I play the video all is well with sound. But..when I import it into Gopro studio...picture is fine but there is no audio. No idea why. Any ideas why. Another question. The video is on my computer twice. One is an AVI file and again as MOV file. The 15 second AVI file is 279 mb while the same MOV file is 87.2 mb. There is some symbol attached to the bottom corner of the AVI file. No idea what it is. Any ideas? Now the sound is not that big of a deal because most on camera mics sound like crap anyway. I do have a DR-05 digital sound recorder and a variety of mics .

I guess since I am not happy with the video quality of the Sony camcorder, I'll have to move on. Too bad as it's such a nice camera. I've been looking at some camcorders. I think my taste would get me into the $1000 area. Not sure. Then I had a thought. I have a Canon T2i that shoots 1080p video. I bought it in 2010 but never used it. Maybe took about 50 stills. This thing looks like it just came out of box. I also have the Canon 430 EX Flash that was about $330 at the time plus many extras. So, I thought...if I'm just trying to fill the void to where I want decent video to edit in with my gopro stuff, this may work. More control with a DSLR than a fixed focus action cam. I do a test and shoot about 15 seconds of video to see the image quality. All on manual. Loads to computer fine. Image is better than the Sony SR82. I do have an issue though. When I play the video all is well with sound. But..when I import it into Gopro studio...picture is fine but there is no audio. No idea why. Any ideas why. Another question. The video is on my computer twice. One is an AVI file and again as MOV file. The 15 second AVI file is 279 mb while the same MOV file is 87.2 mb. There is some symbol attached to the bottom corner of the AVI file. No idea what it is. Any ideas? Now the sound is not that big of a deal because most on camera mics sound like crap anyway. I do have a DR-05 digital sound recorder and a variety of mics .
Bingo. You win! I own a T3i and I just love it. In addition, there are literaly hundreds of videos on YouTube to help you with settings.

I suspect your audio issue and the duplicate files may be related to Gopro Studio. My T3i does not create two files so I doubt the T2i does either. It could be related to the import settings in Gopro Studio. I don't own Gopro so I really can't say for certain.

Download a free trial of Cyberlink Power Director and see if you like it.

And you figured out the audio solution. I have an outboard recorder as well but leave the on-camera mic open to aid in synching later with the audio.

Bingo. You win! I own a T3i and I just love it. In addition, there are literaly hundreds of videos on YouTube to help you with settings.

I suspect your audio issue and the duplicate files may be related to Gopro Studio. My T3i does not create two files so I doubt the T2i does either. It could be related to the import settings in Gopro Studio. I don't own Gopro so I really can't say for certain.

Download a free trial of Cyberlink Power Director and see if you like it.

And you figured out the audio solution. I have an outboard recorder as well but leave the on-camera mic open to aid in synching later with the audio.
The double files is not just with the Canon T2i. Here is a pic of thumbnails

Attachments

• 7-1-18 screen shot of thumbnails.JPG
    7-1-18 screen shot of thumbnails.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 212
This is odd. I loaded the video clip to youtube and the sound is there but not when in the Gopro Studio program.
. Compare this T2i video with the Sony.

This is odd. I loaded the video clip to youtube and the sound is there but not when in the Gopro Studio program.
Did another test with the zoom lens. Lighting sucks but I just wanted to see the quality. Just a quick video out the door. This may work for me.

From what very little I know about this program, it does not play well with anything other than GoPro videos.

With regard to audio, look at your export settings in Gopro Studio. Could be audio is muted.

If you're going to edit video other than GoPro, try another video editing program. Most, if not all, accept GoPro files.

From what very little I know about this program, it does not play well with anything other than GoPro videos.

With regard to audio, look at your export settings in Gopro Studio. Could be audio is muted.

If you're going to edit video other than GoPro, try another video editing program. Most, if not all, accept GoPro files.
I'm still learning man. I don't like to sit still. Today is hot and I have beer, so I can do it for awhile in front of computer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl