Video: Installing a Tilt Control Knob on Stock Transmitter

Reaction score
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hStYq2vatM[/youtube]

A few notes:

-I removed the original pot with pliers, just rocked it back and forth until it came loose. It is thin metal.

-I rushed through this, but you have to use a metal saw to trim the metal shaft of the pentiometer down so it is flush with the transmitter.

-I ended up using a black sharpie marker to mark on the transmitter the straight down and straight horizontal views for the camera so I can easily refer to them while flying.

Re: Video: Installing a Tilt Control Knob on Stock Transmitt

Adam said:
A few notes:

-I removed the original pot with pliers, just rocked it back and forth until it came loose. It is thin metal.

-I rushed through this, but you have to use a metal saw to trim the metal shaft of the pentiometer down so it is flush with the transmitter.

-I ended up using a black sharpie marker to mark on the transmitter the straight down and straight horizontal views for the camera so I can easily refer to them while flying.

Thanks for documenting this conversion. Be aware however that the originators of this mod specify using a 5k-ohm 'Linear Taper' potentiometer (RadioShack Part number 271-1714), not a 5k-ohm 'Audio Taper' pot (RadioShack Part number 271-1720).

A linear taper pot will have a resistance that is directly proportional to movement between endpoints. An audio taper pot will vary logarithmically between endpoints. They appear identical and cost the same ($3.49)...but if you want consistent fine control of camera angle throughout its range of motion, a linear taper pot will do the job. If you don't care, then use whatever you like.

Unfortunately E Chang was unable to find the linear taper pot (Part number 271-1714) at local RadioShacks, so he used the audio taper pot (271-1720) instead. But he didn't make this substitution clear. So now those who don't dig deeper are following his otherwise very well documented lead.

Steve

Thanks, I will swap for the linear pot if I can find one and post the difference.

Adam said:
Thanks, I will swap for the linear pot if I can find one and post the difference.

It will be interesting to know your impressions following a direct comparison, something I haven't seen anyone comment on. Perhaps you'll like the non-linear relationship better. We'll also be interested in how well you like the position of the control on the transmitter shell. Several different locations have been shown in various posted examples. I was favoring a position where I could adjust the camera tilt while still controlling both primary joysticks.

I have the parts, but haven't made the mod yet.

Steve

so if you do NOT add the tilt knob....
how do you force the gimbal to a certain direction when turning it on?

I just installed gimbal number 2 ( 1st one was DOA ) but when I power on the phantom, the camera keeps pointing down

any help is appreciated...I have updated with all new firmware, etc

Thanks

ignore the last post...

I discovered that if the camera is off when you power up phantom...it points down

with the camera on at power up...all good

so far so good

I am such an idiot and newbie....

I just realized there is a X1 access port on the back of the Radio...
sorry for the bother.

I figured it out...a few turns of that switch and I am good

Cheers

deluge2 said:
Adam said:

It will be interesting to know your impressions following a direct comparison, something I haven't seen anyone comment on. Perhaps you'll like the non-linear relationship better. We'll also be interested in how well you like the position of the control on the transmitter shell. Several different locations have been shown in various posted examples. I was favoring a position where I could adjust the camera tilt while still controlling both primary joysticks.

Steve

Ok, I swapped the pots tonight. Using the linear pot over the audio pot made a difference. It's not huge, but it's smoother and after calibration in the Naza assistant for X1, it uses the full travel of my pot and not just a small part. The placement of the knob that I used isn't the greatest, I think it would have been nice if I could have put it on the where my left thumb could roll it while I am pushing forward on the right stick. The way I have it setup if I want to do a flyover while tilting the camera down I have to reach my left hand way over to get to the knob. Not perfect and it will take some practice but I am pretty happy with it. It would be tight to get the pot on the side though, not sure if that would work.

Adam said:
Ok, I swapped the pots tonight. Using the linear pot over the audio pot made a difference. It's not huge, but it's smoother and after calibration in the Naza assistant for X1, it uses the full travel of my pot and not just a small part. The placement of the knob that I used isn't the greatest, I think it would have been nice if I could have put it on the where my left thumb could roll it while I am pushing forward on the right stick. The way I have it setup if I want to do a flyover while tilting the camera down I have to reach my left hand way over to get to the knob. Not perfect and it will take some practice but I am pretty happy with it. It would be tight to get the pot on the side though, not sure if that would work.

Thanks for closing the loop on the effects of the two types of pots. Can you comment on the degrees of pot shaft rotation that moves the camera by 90 degrees, ie from straight ahead to straight down?

Steve

Adam said:
deluge2 said:
Adam said:

Steve

I bought the bit to do this mod too, I currently have a shapeways lever kit, and didn't have the best luck at first (was slipping???), I "fixed" it up but I'm yet to test it again. . . .

If I'm not happy with it, I'll swap over to this method, I was looking at placement tonight. if I had it in the middle, I'd try and add a little lever on the top of the knob, to allow me to just push the knob around with just one finger. Also have the level point set with the lever facing 12 and 6 for easy return :)

The picture explains it better, I just sat the bits on the control, its not actually connected!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374147124.449174.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374147124.449174.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 2,874

Has anyone tried this with a multi-turn pot so you can get super-smooth, slow tilts? I'm thinking of putting a three-turn in mine and trying to figure out a place to put it on the Tx so I can spin it with a thumbwheel. What do we think?

adam12hicks said:
Thinking about doing this with this knob... any reason this wouldn't work? I like the work and quality of this part..

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vis ... 00rh2%252b

That's about what I'm going to do except I'm going to use a 3 turn pot to give me extra control. I figure I'll put it in the middle of the Tx so I can use it with either hand depending on what else i'm trying to do while tilting the camera. I like the big knob too - kind of like a thumb wheel.

Is it possible to just solder wires for the new pot onto the metal pins of the existing pot - essentially have two controllers?

Hi,I use a Futaba T8 FG for my P2 ( because I also have another multirotor) and I have problem with the tilt because is too fast and not smooth with my Zenmuse. Could I use the same device on my futaba? Any other suggestions?
Thank's

Hi sir.. im having problem on my full rotation on the knob.. If I turn knob from 0-90 degrees.. Tilt is fine facing down to facing front.. but when I turn knob to 90-180 degrees.. Gimbal faces down fast.. If turned 90 degress again is good.. what do I do to full use of the knob rotation?

yummer30 said:
Hi sir.. im having problem on my full rotation on the knob.. If I turn knob from 0-90 degrees.. Tilt is fine facing down to facing front.. but when I turn knob to 90-180 degrees.. Gimbal faces down fast.. If turned 90 degress again is good.. what do I do to full use of the knob rotation?

Calibrate the knob in RC assistant first then again in phantom assistant, that order. (dont worry if rc assistant says it's just the sticks getting calibrated, move the knob through full motion a few times anyway.)

Thank you Mrc.. I'll try it at soon..have you been with this problem?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl