HOW TO: Install tablet mount on a Phantom 3 Standard remote controller

Yep, the screw doesn't have any thread, try to get another one asap :/

I used the Inspire part and done the above mod but I removed the metal pin using a small (hex) allen key. This way I didn't need to drill a hole in my new drone RC. I don't want to do any mod to it that may invalidate the warranty for the first year.

Hence the mod only took about 15 minutes and still feel solid. Only thing is the IPAD Air is a tight squeeze.

The issue that arises is how does one accommodate the kit in a bag now??

You'll need a bag made for a P3P/P3A/P34K. Or, it might be time to break out the bread knife :D

I've also just installed the Inspire mount on my P3S remote without the metal pin and it works really well; very happy with it. The only thing I may do is apply some thread lock to the screw to try and ensure it doesn't work loose over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the install today on a P3S and it works great. You don't need to remove the 3 wire attachments. I didn't and had no issues. I was not able to easily remove the wire attachments, so gave up on it. If you don't remove the wires, you will have to put the two halves back together for drilling. Drill very, very carefully and slowly. I took about 6 increment drill size steps to finally get to 3/8". I'm using a full-size IPad with a mount extension arm. Yes, it is top heavy, but the image is awesome.

This mount is simply two pieces of 1/4" aluminum stock that I shaped in my vice. On the mounting end the arms are drilled, one is slightly oversize so that the self tapping screw can spin. the other slightly undersized so the self tapping screw gets a good bite.

The velcro on the arms holds the sunshade quite firmly, and the 8" tablet is in turn velcroed into the sunshade.

This setup is sturdy, adjustable and very easy to remove for storage. The best part is I had the parts in my shop so it cost $o.

Tobby
DSCN0262.jpg

Just did the mount, but didn't have the nut, so I improvised.

If you look at the mount, there is a little setscrew that holds the stock post in. Once you remove the stock post, that allows you to use any bolt that will fit into the mount. I used a small bolt that I put through on the inside of the remote. I then installed the mount over the bolt, and tightened the setscrew. I did find a plastic sleeve to put over the bolt to dress it up a bit. Mount is rock solid.

Here are some pics:

4db3e697a52a1f7f047a8eb4fa3f6b79.jpg

e801a2d67d0125f6e288b5a3fe54b820.jpg

fedb3aa8888bfc592fe988efb7037ebf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nice work! :)

I used the Inspire part and done the above mod but I removed the metal pin using a small (hex) allen key. This way I didn't need to drill a hole in my new drone RC. I don't want to do any mod to it that may invalidate the warranty for the first year.

Hence the mod only took about 15 minutes and still feel solid. Only thing is the IPAD Air is a tight squeeze.

Is it still secure this way? Even with the iPad Air?

Great tutorial. Thanks for doing this.

I placed my Inspire mount on my P3 standard remote and it looks good.

I used a step drill bit to drill the hole and it worked well.

One caution is to be careful when separating the halves of the remote. The antenna collar can be tough. I accidentally pulled the antenna connection off the circuit board. I hope my soldering works!

What a great write up with pics explaining in detail the how-to in drilling a hole in my new transmitter :) I ordered a 8" tablet yesterday, a Inspire mount off ebay and the nut/bolt that goes thru the tx case from PhantonHelp today.I can't wait to get everything so I can get the mount installed.

Reactions: Free_bird

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20