Video (How to) remove wifi card and properly Heatsink

Reaction score
Thanks to Burlbark here that inspired me to just make a video of how to heatsink the wifi card since that is failing on all of us in due time.

Here is the original topic viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28176

Here's the video...please point out any errors I inadvertently may have made. Thanks

http://youtu.be/hLTmzQV-lYo

Edit: It is still "processing" so it will be up shortly

Where the thermal pad was, and on the two small amp chips (under the metal cover), you need to apply a generous blob of heat sink compound. Otherwise, you might not bridge the gap to the metal cover.
In fact, after applying the compound, you should fit things together, then take them apart again and make sure you get good contact on both sides. Just be a bit careful when pulling things apart, since sometimes the goop will stretch apart like gum and then fall down again where you don't want it to be.

Instead of applying all the goop at once and then assembling, I think it's less messy to apply the goop and then assemble as you go:
- put the goop on the bottom, then assemble the bottom board to the case
- put the goop onto the two small amp chips and part of large top chip, then assemble the small metal cover on them (bend the tabs back)
- attach the top board to the bottom board
- put the goop onto the metal cover and rest of the top chips, then assemble the top lid

It's interesting that your wifi module had a thermal pad on it (at the bottom). Mine did not. I think DJI is slowly learning.

The way you slid that paper around on the carpet made me nervous: that's exactly how you can generate (potentially damaging) static electricity.

CityZen said:
1.Where the thermal pad was, and on the two small amp chips (under the metal cover), you need to apply a generous blob of heat sink compound. Otherwise, you might not bridge the gap to the metal cover.
In fact, after applying the compound, you should fit things together, then take them apart again and make sure you get good contact on both sides. Just be a bit careful when pulling things apart, since sometimes the goop will stretch apart like gum and then fall down again where you don't want it to be.

2. Instead of applying all the goop at once and then assembling, I think it's less messy to apply the goop and then assemble as you go:
- put the goop on the bottom, then assemble the bottom board to the case
- put the goop onto the two small amp chips and part of large top chip, then assemble the small metal cover on them (bend the tabs back)
- attach the top board to the bottom board
- put the goop onto the metal cover and rest of the top chips, then assemble the top lid

3. It's interesting that your wifi module had a thermal pad on it (at the bottom). Mine did not. I think DJI is slowly learning.

The way you slid that paper around on the carpet made me nervous: that's exactly how you can generate (potentially damaging) static electricity.

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

1. I did go ahead and take it all apart again today to remove the excess goop on the board with arctic clean, and made sure i added a good dab with vertical height after spreading it around

2. you are right...that is the easier way. of course, I was just shooting from the hip on this video since it was my first time too figuring things out.

3. Yes, that is why i was initially confused on what it was

Other thoughts:
1. my final 2 amplifiers had no compound on them at all, so im not sure if that is the issue and/or the thermal pad may be lacking in thermal conductivity. Not really sure.

2. I haven't had the chance to fly it yet due to the crappy weather, but i did power it on and I am getting constant video in the house at least

3. putting it in airplane mode has tremendously helped with initially connecting to the phantom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj