Video freeze after new file opened up

Reaction score
I would appreciate knowing if others are having this problem and if there is a confirmed F/W version that fixes it...

After the size limit is reached while recording a long continuous flight and a new file is opened up, about a half second or so into the new file, there is a freeze of about a half dozen frames and then the recording continues but of course the bird has moved ahead during that time so the video jumps ahead. It’s not the first half dozen frames in the new file. The new file starts out recording for, as I said, some brief period like half a second or so and then the brief freeze and all continues normally. This is a pretty new card and it’s an extreme pro so this should not be a throughput issue. It only appears in that specific case and I think in every time there is a spill over to a new file.

I’m on the 509 version of AC firmware and I’d really like to stay there. If, however, this is a known and documented bug that has been confirmed fixed in a later firmware, I’d consider upgrading as it keeps ruining shots. But I don’t want to upgrade just on a blind hope that it may have been fixed.

Are folks just living with this?

... for 4K recording, you’d need something similar to the Sandisk Extreme Plus.

Correction: I mis-spoke, I meant to write Exreme PRO.

Last edited:
Possibly the speed rating of the micro SD card ...
As I said I think I would have problems elsewhere in my video if that were the case. In fact the card I took from my P3S was riddled with performance related glitches. So I bought this one and these freezes I think are too specific and reproducible to be performance related.

Here is the card I’m using. AFAIK this is the proper speed rating. If you know otherwise plz advise. Thanks.

71DAF47A-EB06-43AC-9C45-2A23405C5D98.jpeg

Reactions: Ripper7620
... for 4K recording, you’d need something similar to the Sandisk Extreme Plus.
I just checked the specs. Apparently the extreme pro, which I stated I was using in my original post, is faster than the extreme plus you mentioned.

I mis-spoke, I meant to write the PRO version. I've had such stuttering/glitching on lower speed cards, on the Phantom 3, Mavic Air and Samsung 360 ... all of those were resolved when I switched to the Extreme Pro. Really not sure what the issue with your setup is then ... sorry.

I mis-spoke, I meant to write the PRO version. I've had such stuttering/glitching on lower speed cards, on the Phantom 3, Mavic Air and Samsung 360 ... all of those were resolved when I switched to the Extreme Pro. Really not sure what the issue with your setup is then ... sorry.
Do you fly a P4P? If so, is your second video file on long shoots free of freezes near the beginning?

I am posting four samples to dropbox. They are only the first 5 seconds of each file (no freezes appear after this point in each file). Each file is the second one opened in a long shoot after the max file size of 4.09GB was reached on the first file. Here are the links:

Clip 1: Freeze begins at 1 second in and lasts for 30 frames:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbgldm ... 20Clip%201.mov?dl=0

Clip 2: Freeze begins at 1 sec and 3 frames in and lasts for 26 frames:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6e6yxs ... 20Clip%202.mov?dl=0

Clip 3: Freeze begins at 1 sec and 5 frames in and lasts for 25 frames:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m93jt1 ... 20Clip%203.mov?dl=0

Clip 4: Freeze begins at 1 sec and 4 frames in and lasts for 26 frames:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3g5a1 ... 20Clip%204.mov?dl=0

These were all shot yesterday. It appears as there was ONE instance of a second file shot yesterday which did not exhibit this problem. I have not included that here. But I mention it because it seems as though it happens ALMOST all the time. But maybe rarely it does not.

Since I couldn’t get anyone to bite on this problem in any meaningful way I started believing that most others are not having the issue. So maybe it’s something I’m doing differently. Then it hit me. I’m using H.265 encoding and maybe most others aren’t.

So I switched to H.264 and I’ve now run four tests. In all four tests there was no freeze on the the second file. I was getting at least a 3/4 failure rate with H.265. So I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence that there is an issue with their H.265 implementation. At least on 01.03.0509. If you want to turn on H.265, may want to think twice.

Thank me.

Last edited:
Since I couldn’t get anyone to bite on this problem in any meaningful way I started believing that most others are not having the issue. So maybe it’s something I’m doing differently. Then it hit me. I’m using H.265 encoding and maybe most others aren’t.

So I switched to H.264 and I’ve now run four tests. In all four tests there was no freeze on the the second file. I was getting at least a 3/4 failure rate with H.265. So I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence that there is an issue with their H.265 implementation. At least on 01.03.0509. If you want to turn on H.265, may want to think twice.

Thank me.
Thank you for posting this, it saves me from sooner or later, finding out about H.265 the hard way.

Thank you for posting this, it saves me from sooner or later, finding out about H.265 the hard way.
You’re welcome. If it saves just one life... ;-)

I pulled my hair out over this for a while and DJI folks on their forum didn’t know. Once I discovered the H.265 connection, I notified them and they are forwarding the info to the engineers.

I’m not likely to update to fix this if and when there is an update. I’m not sure there is any benefit to H.265. I thought I’d see smaller file sizes but it doesn’t appear that way on the Phantom.

Reactions: Ripper7620

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31