Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

@PJA: That pic does show exactly what you need, and the little white plug in the bottom right is the one that you're missing...it'll feed video to the iOSD and power to the vTx. I'm not sure if using the 2 smaller cables will work directly, it'll just depend on whether the port will hold them in or not I guess. If you have another source for power for the vTx, then all you really have to get from that port on the upgrade board is the video connection (yellow + one brown wire). Hopefully you can get that cable from that guy though, I know it'll be easier that way.

@Howzit: Yeah it's hard for me to keep up with all of this too! :D The batt I'm using right now is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-Power-R ... 1139909694

They accepted my offer of $105 (or that was their counter-offer to my original $90 bid anyway) so you could get it for the same I'm guessing. Next test will be 2 maddog 2700's in parallel for comparison, as soon as my second one arrives. I may order one of the Walkera batts too, just to be able to test for myself all the current top options we have.

...cuz you know that ElGuano guy just can't be trusted with all his "establishing baselines" and "consistent testing methodology" nonsense :lol:

OI Photography said:
Total flight time = 27:15
:shock: :shock: :shock:
27 minutes!!
Unloaded?
What was your AUW?
Resting voltage?

My best was ~19 minutes 1127g AUW 11.07v resting
You are a full 7 minutes longer on the same battery :cry:

OI Photography said:
@Howzit: Yeah it's hard for me to keep up with all of this too! :D The batt I'm using right now is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-Power-R ... 1139909694

...cuz you know that ElGuano guy just can't be trusted with all his "establishing baselines" and "consistent testing methodology" nonsense :lol:

I may have to pick up one of those batteries. The price doesn't bother me that much, if this will prove to get an honest 15-20 minutes 'lightly' loaded with GoPro and FPV. Same with the p2, the battery price doesn't bother me that much. Not being able to use a cheaper/smaller battery when my heart desires is what bothers me. I'd fork out $100 for a battery for those times I want to push out as far as possible, ya know?

Now i wonder...could I strap this battery underneath the p1 case with that FPV mount that d3wey makes? Is yours fitting nicely int he 1.5 case?

@gen3benz: AUW was 1096g, resting voltage was only 10.7v. I did push it a little bit by fighting the auto-landing @10.6v for a few sec, but not so much I would have expected it to only bounce back to that. It was also very light flying and no wind at all. I'll be doing more tests asap, and I won't fly past the autoland with my current settings so I can get a better feel for the true sag.

@Hiway: The batt I was using is just a pinch under twice the size of a maddog 2700, so it fits very snug inside the P2 shell, and some minor carving is necessary first... I don't think Dewey's otherwise very capable undertrays could handle that much weight. As soon as I do a few more tests "naked" (the Phantom, and perhaps me as well), I'll pack on a camera/gimbal/FPV setup to give some real-world use results.

gen3benz said:
OI Photography said:
27 minutes!!
Unloaded?
What was your AUW?
Resting voltage?

There are a hand full of outlier reports like this. 25+ minute flights on standard gimbal loadouts. Other than one with a video that really looked doctored, I have no reason not to believe folks like OI and EMC who have achieved this, but I also don't know how to explain them because they seem to push the reality of the physics at play. I've only gotten 25+ minutes by going super light,<1000g with a 5400. The battery was almost half the auw, and the effect scales as you increase weight to the typical 1100, 1200 and 1300g take off weights.

Some people may have particularly in strong batteries, are flying in nearly perfect conditions or styles, or are (hopefully not) pushing the batteries beyond healthy capacity? Maybe a combination of the above?

ElGuano said:
Some people may have particularly in strong batteries, are flying in nearly perfect conditions or styles, or are (hopefully not) pushing the batteries beyond healthy capacity? Maybe a combination of the above?

It looks like in my case, it's mostly the last of those possibilities...I just now charged it and it took back 5814mAh. So either I was teetering waaay over the edge and was just **** lucky it bounced back to even 10.7, or it's got a little more headroom in the capacity than advertised. I'm guessing the former.

Tip: I'd suggest that you (ElGuano) would be much better served by following your gut instinct as opposed to my "hard data" in any given situation :D

ElGuano said:
gen3benz said:
OI Photography said:
27 minutes!!
Unloaded?
What was your AUW?
Resting voltage?

There are a hand full of outlier reports like this. 25+ minute flights on standard gimbal loadouts. Other than one with a video that really looked doctored, I have no reason not to believe folks like OI and EMC who have achieved this, but I also don't know how to explain them because they seem to push the reality of the physics at play. I've only gotten 25+ minutes by going super light,<1000g with a 5400. The battery was almost half the auw, and the effect scales as you increase weight to the typical 1100, 1200 and 1300g take off weights.

My best fully loaded time has been 15:03 (I had a much longer flight when it was naked) P2 battery started at 12.6 I ran her down to 10.3 (she bounced back to 11.1 after 5 mins) Now she is currently loaded to the gills for what I want her to do and she has been on the "ELG"diet and weighs a mere 1308gs, so once I get a warm and calm day we'll see.

On another note - flew her out to 1300 meters on 6 way points and it was awesome. Kind of eerie when you can't see her but can see FPV ... I had GoPro on but not recording - DUH. Too many things to charge & turn on.

EMCSQUAR said:
My best fully loaded time has been 15:03 (I had a much longer flight when it was naked) P2 battery started at 12.6 I ran her down to 10.3 (she bounced back to 11.1 after 5 mins) Now she is currently loaded to the gills for what I want her to do and she has been on the "ELG"diet and weighs a mere 1308gs, so once I get a warm and calm day we'll see.

On another note - flew her out to 1300 meters on 6 way points and it was awesome. Kind of eerie when you can't see her but can see FPV ... I had GoPro on but not recording - DUH. Too many things to charge & turn on.
Oh sorry, I thought you had a 25+ min flight at 1500+g on the p2 battery. I probably misread it.

I had just shy of 21 mins on naked P1.5 conversion (it was also 9 degrees outside) but I'm happy at 15 min area - anything over that I'm loitering. I've been watching you guys and your battery times, yes longer would be great, but to get stock times out of a fully loaded Phantom 1 (and I mean loaded - Zenmuse, PMU, IOSD mini, can hub, & 2.4 G/S RX, Immersion TX & landing gear) - I'm content.

Dewey,
I spoke with a DJI tech rep this evening...turns out the Phantom assistant software does not give the option to select X1 or X2 for in flight gains adjustment. He indicated that there is 3rd party software which is used by other RC type craft for this proceedure although, he was not allowed to divulge this information.
So, given this information...I wonder what 3rd party software used for interfacing with the Phantom is available?
Anyone have any idea?
I will search and post if I find it.

Thanks

Michael

340cams said:
Dewey,
I spoke with a DJI tech rep this evening...turns out the Phantom assistant software does not give the option to select X1 or X2 for in flight gains adjustment. He indicated that there is 3rd party software which is used by other RC type craft for this proceedure although, he was not allowed to divulge this information.
So, given this information...I wonder what 3rd party software used for interfacing with the Phantom is available?
Anyone have any idea?
I will search and post if I find it.

Thanks

Michael

Uh...wat.

Do you have this screen in Assistant under Basic/Gain?

33cn2w5.jpg

ElGuano said:
Uh...wat.

That's what I said originally too, but the other day 340cams (or someone else) posted a pic of the P2 Assistant software in NAZA mode, and it indeed does not have the drop-down menus for INH/X1/X2 under each gain value. Same holds true on the main info screen where they normally also appear.

Weird, I know, that they would lock that down in the P2.

But I'm definitely curious about this "3rd-party software" they hinted at. Maybe there's a crack for the P1 NAZA assistant floating around that will let it work on the P2..?

My assistant software isn't the same as yours...Naza M V2
I wonder why???
Is it possible you can email me the exe?
[email protected]

Oh wow...
Never mind. I just downloaded it...Thank you very much!

Michael

340cams said:
Oh wow...
Never mind. I just downloaded it...Thank you very much!

Michael

Ah, you have P2, yeah I don't think there's an X1 option for that. The NAZA-M Assistant software won't work with the P2, unfortunately.

Lol...this is killing me. I am spending so much time trying to learn gains control on my Phantom and DJI eliminated this as an option in their software. Ughhhhh!!!

Is there other software (3rd party) that is used to interface with the Phantom 2? Or what software do other guys use for their RC's?

Mike

DeweyAXD said:
Mike

Not sure of its validity but I saw this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114087

Suggests that there is a second 'pot' (potentiometer screw) on the P2 transmitter controller that handles gains adjustment... might be worth (carefully) testing. In theory then it is a case of working out what channel it uses... suggestion might be that X2 always live to gains tuning and all you need to do is tap into it.

^
^ ^
|
|

Did you ever try this at all?

That second screw is located on the original Phantom 2 Controller, which I'm no longer using. I'm using the Taranis x9d.

The white Phantom controller is very basic...I never had the opportunity to adjust that screw..although, it seems it would be quite limited compared to multiple gains adjustments with separate knobs on the Taranis.

The main reason I want to have this option is to...

1) Fine tune the craft's oscillation during initial hovering, which is minimal, but noticeable. This oscillation seems to disappear after a short flight away, lets say a few hundred feet and then upon return it is quite steady.

2) To play with the adjustments and see what settings I enjoy the best.

Mike

340cams said:
That second screw is located on the original Phantom 2 Controller, which I'm no longer using. I'm using the Taranis x9d.

The white Phantom controller is very basic...I never had the opportunity to adjust that screw..although, it seems it would be quite limited compared to multiple gains adjustments with separate knobs on the Taranis.

The main reason I want to have this option is to...

1) Fine tune the craft's oscillation during initial hovering, which is minimal, but noticeable. This oscillation seems to disappear after a short flight away, lets say a few hundred feet and then upon return it is quite steady.

2) To play with the adjustments and see what settings I enjoy the best.

Mike

The only other real-time gain adjustment tool is to get a BTU and change gains on your smartphone using the NAZA app (which I assume also works for the P2--you may want to check that). This is potentially a better system too, since you can change ALL your gain settings in real-time without having to bind any specific ones to X1 (and plug in to change).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT