Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Looks good to me. The 6V + ground on the board are right. Assuming you got the high and low pins correct on the motherboard, standard CAN pinout for DJI is V G CH CL. So you should be good to go.

ElGuano said:
Looks good to me. The 6V + ground on the board are right. Assuming you got the high and low pins correct on the motherboard, standard CAN pinout for DJI is V G CH CL. So you should be good to go.

Thanks ELGuano... I've felt I made good progress today... With your confirmation, I can sleep good tonight....

Gets a big thumbs up from me PJA. Final outcome looks very neat. It will take a day or two to calm your nerves after soldering to those gold plates :lol:

Hi guys,
Reading this entire thread certainly reveals you know a lot about the Phantom and it's wiring.
Can you please help me with a problem I am working on?
I have the Phantom 2 with the Naza along with the X8R for my Taranis X9d. So far it works quite well flying and only required 1 connection which is the connection coming out of the X2 port from the Naza and into the X8R.
Now, what I would like to do is set up the Taranis to be able to adjust the Gyro Gain settings while in flight.
I'm reading and searching for a number of days now and still not finding how to do this...sorry, but I'm novice at this, but quite eager to learn.
Anyone able to give me direction? I really appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike

340cams said:
Hi guys,
Reading this entire thread certainly reveals you know a lot about the Phantom and it's wiring.
Can you please help me with a problem I am working on?
I have the Phantom 2 with the Naza along with the X8R for my Taranis X9d. So far it works quite well flying and only required 1 connection which is the connection coming out of the X2 port from the Naza and into the X8R.
Now, what I would like to do is set up the Taranis to be able to adjust the Gyro Gain settings while in flight.
I'm reading and searching for a number of days now and still not finding how to do this...sorry, but I'm novice at this, but quite eager to learn.
Anyone able to give me direction? I really appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike

I don't have a Taranis, but the concept should be simple: Whatever channel on your X9d is set to send to "X1" on the NAZA is the pot that you will use. Make sure that's configured correctly and that you can calibrate X1 in the NAZA assistant and see it change values when you rotate the knob. Put the knob to the center of its travel.

Next, you just go to the GAINS menu in Assistant, and change whatever channel(s) you want controlled via X1 from "INH" to "X1." You can do more than one at a time, but most people only really care about basic pitch and basic roll, so start with those. Now, when you spin the knob, you'll see the gains change in real time. You can go fly, change the gains until the craft behaves how you want it, then land, plug back into assistant, note the current gains and set it back from X1 to INH. Then repeat for whatever other gains you want to test.

Thank you so much for relying...
Currently I have the Zenmuse Gimble assigned to X1 and operated by the Right Side Pot switch...
Is is possible to write a Mix assigning the S1 Pot switch to control the Gains when I switch another 2 or 3way switch to designate that function? Or am I making this more complicated than it should be?

340cams said:
Thank you so much for relying...
Currently I have the Zenmuse Gimble assigned to X1 and operated by the Right Side Pot switch...
Is is possible to write a Mix assigning the S1 Pot switch to control the Gains when I switch another 2 or 3way switch to designate that function? Or am I making this more complicated than it should be?

You only need to control gains while setting them. Once they're dialed in, you can unbind X1 and let it do its gimbal tilt thing.

If you set the gains to your right side pot (X1), it'll take over the command from the gimbal. Most of us with Phantom controllers use X1 on the 7th channel this way.

Lol...Yes, then let me do that and see if it works.
I really appreciate your help.
Gotta head to work...have a great day.

Mike.

Hi...
I'm baffled...I set up my original model according to these step by step instructions. http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthr ... -Naza-M-V2

Then I altered the settings and removed the Gimble and IOC completely from the Model and named it Gains Control and kept this one as a second model which I want to use to adjust the gains in flight.

In the Assistant Software it says...
1) Connect your powered up copter to your PC via the LED module. Open the Assistant software.
2) Check and calibrate your command sticks and X1 (gimbal or gain adjustment) through the Basic/RC section of the Assistant.
3) If you're not using a gimbal (or IOC), you can go to the Basic/Gain page of the Assistant and change whichever remote adjust drop down menus you wish to either X1 (or X2)

My Assistant software does not have a drop down menu anywhere in reference to X1 or X2.

No matter what I do, the RS lever or S2 if assigned only operate the Gimble. This would make sense if there was a drop down menu giving me an option to chose Gimble or Gains...

Has anyone seen this??

Please help...

Mike

Maybe a silly question...

After finishing up my P1.5 Conversion (New Upgrade Board, New T-Motors, Flytrex, Can-Bus Port, etc), I went to put the upper shell on and it wouldn't close. I realized the New Futaba Receiver is pretty close to the edge and my upper shell hits it. The question is: I have plenty of room on the other side of the Naza Controller... Can I place the receiver on that side? Would it really make any difference? (see pic below).

As you can see, the Naza Controller is centered, but not completely on the white marker space on the board. I tried to make room for the Futaba receiver. Is that going to be an issue, or I'm OK, as long as everything is centered and it's facing the right way?

My last question is: After watching the Upgrade Board install, I realize I don't have that cable that is right next to the Zenmuse Gimbal cable port (hidden by the black gimbal cable)... Where the heck does that cable come from, and what is that port for?

Thanks for the help, fellow forum fanatics!!! :p

13480942355_0412eb94b1_z.jpg

PJA said:

After finishing up my P1.5 Conversion (New Upgrade Board, New T-Motors, Flytrex, Can-Bus Port, etc), I went to put the upper shell on and it wouldn't close. I realized the New Futaba Receiver is pretty close to the edge and my upper shell hits it. The question is: I have plenty of room on the other side of the Naza Controller... Can I place the receiver on that side? Would it really make any difference? (see pic below).

As you can see, the Naza Controller is centered, but not completely on the white marker space on the board. I tried to make room for the Futaba receiver. Is that going to be an issue, or I'm OK, as long as everything is centered and it's facing the right way?

My last question is: After watching the Upgrade Board install, I realize I don't have that cable that is right next to the Zenmuse Gimbal cable port (hidden by the black gimbal cable)... Where the heck does that cable come from, and what is that port for?

The other side of the NAZA is the voltage regulator. I stacked a unhoused PMU and an iOSD on top of it, it should be fine to put the receiver there. The NAZA doesn't have to be perfectly centered. Neither the upgrade board nor the P2 board try very hard to get the NAZA position right, within a couple of cm it's "close enough."

I think the extra port is for video out for the OSD/VTX. Without the GCU you don't have the mini jack for AV. That's just a guess though.

That's a really clean setup, nicely done!

PJA said:

As far as Futaba recvr - no problem either side

Re: NAZA - as long as it's facing correct direction you'll be ok - a little shift side to side won't hurt it.

I don't have upgrade board but my guess is that the plug is video feed & power out?

Hi...
I'm baffled...I set up my original model according to these step by step instructions. http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthr ... -Naza-M-V2

Then I altered the settings and removed the Gimble and IOC completely from the Model and named it Gains Control and kept this one as a second model which I want to use to adjust the gains in flight.

In the Assistant Software it says...
1) Connect your powered up copter to your PC via the LED module. Open the Assistant software.
2) Check and calibrate your command sticks and X1 (gimbal or gain adjustment) through the Basic/RC section of the Assistant.
3) If you're not using a gimbal (or IOC), you can go to the Basic/Gain page of the Assistant and change whichever remote adjust drop down menus you wish to either X1 (or X2)

My Assistant software does not have a drop down menu anywhere in reference to X1 or X2.

No matter what I do, the RS lever or S2 if assigned only operate the Gimble. This would make sense if there was a drop down menu giving me an option to chose Gimble or Gains...

Has anyone seen this??

Please help...

Mike

@Mike: First make sure that your Assistant software is in NAZA mode. The drop-down menus you're looking for can be found on the main "view" page (directly under the displayed gains values) as well as on the "Gains" tab under the "Basic" page. The menus will have "INH" (Inhibited) set as the default value, you can change any of them to X1 or X2 to assign to your desired knob.

@PJA: I ran in to the same problem with the shell not closing easily at first, quickly figured out it was the DJI plug and cable for the LED that was too bulky, so I just went ahead and swapped it out with the LED extension cable I made for Dewey's other doors. I just have my NAZA sitting right in the middle of the white square on the board though so I'm not sure if that's the source of your issue. Here's the final layout I went with, everything is working now and tested with everything but an actual flight so far (it's pouring here today :():
DGpLTkvl.jpg

Battery bay empty and full:
DAooLHJl.jpg

QXWCqPwl.jpg

Without the batt:
k9G6oF6l.jpg

With the batt:
17awiq5l.jpg

Ready for flight!:
h3VdlgXl.jpg

That looks GREAT, OI...

Today I have to rearrange a few things under the hood, but all I have next is to hook myself up to the NAZA Assistant and check my settings with the Futaba Transmitter... Otherwise, I'll be good to go also...

PS: It's a miserable rainy day here too... Sun won't be out until Monday...

Thanks for the rep[ly...
Here are 2 pics of my Assistant software...Main Page and Basic Gains page.
Note that the Mode up on top is set to NazaM.
Is there something that I'm not seeing?

Attachments

• NazaM Mode.jpg
    NazaM Mode.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 326
  • NazaM Main View.jpg
    NazaM Main View.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 348

Mike, those are indeed the places we'd expect you to be seeing them, and you do clearly have your software in NAZA mode. Perhaps the gains just aren't adjustable by the controller on the P2..?? Seems odd though, I've seen enough people with P2's asking about them. I haven't tinkered in the P2 Assistant software even in NAZA mode, so hopefully someone who has can tell you if that does exist in there, and if so then where.

Thank you very much...at least I know (based on your responses) that I am attempting to do this correctly.
The controller I am using is the Taranis x9d.
Ok...thanks again..have a great weekend.

Mike

340cams said:
The controller I am using is the Taranis x9d.

Right, I should have said "Perhaps the gains aren't adjustable by remote on the P2"...the problem you're having is independent of what controller/Tx you're using. I get the impression you have your Taranis set up fine, it's just a matter of getting the NAZA to let you assign X1/X2 to gains adjustment. I'll let you know if I turn up anything on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West