Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Hi Guys. Im taking the Phantom 1.5 leap as well thanks to Dewey's project ( Thanks for the vids ). I had to look at this twice and im sure this is not the last of some hurdles to cross, but ive noticed using the stock RX in the phantom causes some installation/direction issues. With the P2 orientation being battery hatch at the rear instead of the original p1 at the front whats the best option to inverse all control/direction of the phantom? Because I have to install the stock RX I cant choose the same orientation as a simple switch over of board if I want to stick to the hatch at the back. If I do just switch everything over with the compulsory orientation of the board the battery hatch is going to be at the front which isn't right obviously.
Is it a case of re-soldering the motors or can I chose a more simple approach?
I didn't notice this would be an issue when watching Dewey's vids as hes using a separate non DJI RX and so can be mounted anywhere.
Apologies if this has already been discussed but noticed this is a huge thread which would take forever to go through

Cheers
Rich

Ive managed to double sticky the RX board to the underside of the mainboard so as long as the RX doesn't overheat then should be fine.

FC40 Pilot said:
Ive managed to double sticky the RX board to the underside of the mainboard so as long as the RX doesn't overheat then should be fine.

That should be fine Rich. Orientation/location of the RX is not too important so just finding a free space and keeping it insulated is the key. Glad to see another one going the 1.5 route! :D

Thanks Dewey :)

Unfortunately I got everything screwed into the shell apart from one motor and to my horror found that one of the mounts was poorly moulded and just too short by a couple mil so basically the motor was noticeably angled once tightened up. Had to take everything out again and return the shell for a replacement! :(
Should get new shell tomorrow and fingers crossed its ok.

Just ordered 3 packs of the MultiStar High Capacity 3S 5200mAh Multi-Rotor Lipos from Hobbyking. They look pretty good and reviews on youtube look promising. I can see these being a problem getting hold of in peak season, so thought I would stock up now whilst they have some in the UK warehouse.

Will update with progress shortly

Thanks again
Rich

Battery link http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=68823

Sucks about the shell. I know that feel all too well when you build something and realise it all has to come apart again... (useually because I forgot something!).

Yeah I am using the 4s 5200 Multistars with my XuGong v2 Pro and they took ages to be in stock at HK UK. They seem to be really good so far. Max I've drawn is 40amps and that was in Atti mode so the 3s should be a good choice for the 1.5... or 1.540 as yours technically will be ;-)

Fingers crossed for the new shell being ok... at least you know what to look for first now!

FC40,

I found the same issue you did with the Rx board! Sneaky Dewey using a different Rx and making this look easy, lol!!

I had also considered taping the Rx board to the bottom of the main board. I am right in the middle of this build so please post up how that works for you. I am ordering the P2 internal power plug and will be ordering P2 lipos as well. I have too many XT60 lipos to not also tap the XT60 off that power lead (as Dewey did in later stages of the 1.5 build) so I have several backup lipos. But I so love the idea of plug-n-play with the P2 lipos!!

While I have it open, I am considering upgrading my H3-2D to an H3-3D. I have the Phantom 1.1.1 with black/orange Naza, it has the V2 PCU and the GCU for the Zenmuse all installed already. I am also considering adding a mini iOSD but I think I need to add the Can bus to do that. Otherwise, I don't think I can power the iOSD. Is all of that correct?

I am also looking for any ideas on antenna upgrades. If I can upgrade the Rx and range, I'd be interested in doing that as well. It's bitter cold this weekend here so it's a great time for upgrades!!

The final upgrade I'm looking to do is improve the FPV distance. Currently a 250mx Fatshark 5.8mhz that I'm considering moving to a 600mw ImmersionRC. After that I'm not sure which antenna will further improve the range/stability of the FPV.

Thanks for any help, guys!!

FC40 Pilot said:

DeweyAXD said:
Sucks about the shell. I know that feel all too well when you build something and realise it all has to come apart again... (useually because I forgot something!).

Yeah I am using the 4s 5200 Multistars with my XuGong v2 Pro and they took ages to be in stock at HK UK. They seem to be really good so far. Max I've drawn is 40amps and that was in Atti mode so the 3s should be a good choice for the 1.5... or 1.540 as yours technically will be ;-)

Fingers crossed for the new shell being ok... at least you know what to look for first now!

Conversion almost complete. Should get the battery packs tomorrow so looking forward to testing them out. Will report back on maiden conversion flight and battery packs.

1.540!! haha like it! :))

Thanks Dewey

MultiBrew said:
FC40,

I found the same issue you did with the Rx board! Sneaky Dewey using a different Rx and making this look easy, lol!!

I had also considered taping the Rx board to the bottom of the main board. I am right in the middle of this build so please post up how that works for you. I am ordering the P2 internal power plug and will be ordering P2 lipos as well. I have too many XT60 lipos to not also tap the XT60 off that power lead (as Dewey did in later stages of the 1.5 build) so I have several backup lipos. But I so love the idea of plug-n-play with the P2 lipos!!

While I have it open, I am considering upgrading my H3-2D to an H3-3D. I have the Phantom 1.1.1 with black/orange Naza, it has the V2 PCU and the GCU for the Zenmuse all installed already. I am also considering adding a mini iOSD but I think I need to add the Can bus to do that. Otherwise, I don't think I can power the iOSD. Is all of that correct?

I am also looking for any ideas on antenna upgrades. If I can upgrade the Rx and range, I'd be interested in doing that as well. It's bitter cold this weekend here so it's a great time for upgrades!!

The final upgrade I'm looking to do is improve the FPV distance. Currently a 250mx Fatshark 5.8mhz that I'm considering moving to a 600mw ImmersionRC. After that I'm not sure which antenna will further improve the range/stability of the FPV.

Thanks for any help, guys!!

FC40 Pilot said:

Hi Multibrew

Ill post some pics possibly this eve of my conversion.Ill be testing the battery life on first flight and compare what works best. Ive ordered some multistar 5200 mah lipos and will also use x2 DJI stock batteries and see how they fair. I too have purchased the P2 battery connector but wont install until/if I purchase a P2 battery.
Onboard I have a PMU, IOSD mini and groundstation however the groundstation will be mounted externally so I can attach only when needed to save on uneccessary weight.
I assume you also mean PMU? (not PCU). Yes you need this but there is a way round it if you buy the upgrade zenmuse mainboard which gives the PMU but you may need to do some soldering I think? Might be worth youtubing or Dewey will also be able to explain this.
Ive also cistomised my controller so removed the standard antenna and can now attach any antenna t my liking. Also installed a potentiometer for the gimbal tilt onto the front of the controller. Its a lifetime of upgrades this Phantom business lol

Cheers

After reading as much as I can without going insane, I concluded that I didn't need the upgrade board. But I could be completely wrong, wouldn't be the first time. I will need to post the pics to make things more clear.

I will forego the iOSD for now just so I can get it buttoned back up and flight-ready. I can look into that at a later time, after doing more research and making an plan of attack. The bigger question I have is if I need to make any modifcations to change from the H3-2D to the H3-3D. Is it a straightforward as removing the H3-2D GCU and gimbal and replacing it with the H3-3D GCU and gimbal? Something tells me it's not.

What antenna mod did you perform? And did you do this previously so that you can report back the results or is this, as of yet, untested? I have the tilt on the backside of the remote - it wasn't added on.

Also, with the H3-3D gimbal can the pan be remote operated as well or is that just for yaw-axis stability?

MultiBrew said:
FC40,
While I have it open, I am considering upgrading my H3-2D to an H3-3D. I have the Phantom 1.1.1 with black/orange Naza, it has the V2 PCU and the GCU for the Zenmuse all installed already. I am also considering adding a mini iOSD but I think I need to add the Can bus to do that. Otherwise, I don't think I can power the iOSD. Is all of that correct

You guys could always upgrade to a P2 Circuit Board... I have the regular upgrade board and did the CanBus Solder upgrade to it also... Everything works fine... However, I think it was ElGuano or EMCSQUAR (see previous posts) who found a way to upgrade to the P2 Board which has the physical plug for the CanBus already and is cheaper than the upgrade board: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-DJI...724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339ca25a3c...

No need for any PMU either... That would shave some weight off the Phantom...

All you would need is the CanBus Port:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-DJI...224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338ee550e8...

I bought me a set but haven't put it in yet because my P1.5 is flying just fine right now...

Good Luck Guys!

Hello everyone!

Still waiting for my 1.5 Phantom parts! But I have a quick question for 1.5 users with H3-3D.
Are you using the "H3-3D Anti-interference Reinforcement Board" yes or no?
Is this something like a "power filter" you can use with Fatshark VTX?

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks!

Cheers

If this works, you should see pics, LOL!! These are the photos from when I disassembled my 1.1.1.

IMG_20150207_185036900.jpg

IMG_20150207_190723615.jpg

This one shows how the mounting holes from the Zenmuse H3-2D do not align on the "big hole" P2 shell. Two holes align, the others do not.
IMG_20150207_193031589.jpg

This one shows the Rx board and how it fits just below the main board where the cutout is. This is an issues when trying to mount into the P2 shell as there are no "stalagmites" (lol) for the screws to thread into. I may follow FC40's idea and simply double-side tape this to the bottom of the main board (or use glue??).
IMG_20150207_195840828.jpg

This is the location in the new P2 shell where the Rx board needs to fit. There is a standoff where the Rx board will be placed but it appears to be too tall and will interfere with the Rx board. I will grind this down so there is no interference but will try to leave enough for it to act as a rest for the Rx board.
IMG_20150217_191927054.jpg

After looking at my setup it seems pretty straight forward that I can swap out the H3-2D and plug in the H3-3D should I chose to do so. Anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work?

Hi!

Looks like I'm ready to proceed to the 1.5 conversion! I'll post some pictures when I'm done!

Yes Multibrew you can just swap H3-2D with the H3-3D... the "integrated GCU" in the upgrade board or in the P2 board works with both...

And about the anti interference board? Yes, no? Anyone?

Have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_20150219_081431.jpg
    IMG_20150219_081431.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 459

Tobrouk said:
And about the anti interference board?
I haven't used it, but a few people on this thread said it doesn't work that well... Maybe if you do a search in another thread you'll get a more favorable answer on how good it is and how it works...

Good Luck with the P1.5 build... You are going to love it!

So as embarrasing as this is for the P1.5 thread founder I have to admit I still don't own an H3-3D yet! Beend flying 2D all the time on mine.

To clarify PJA (being that you are a man of H3-3D experience).... You can simply swap out an H3-2D with the 3D version and run it off the upgrade board? I was hoping they'd come down a little with the onset of the H4-3D so might hold out a little longer (not that I think the price will lower much!). I will have to chop the larger hole in my P2 shell as it is an early version. Doh!

DeweyAXD said:
So as embarrasing as this is for the P1.5 thread founder I have to admit I still don't own an H3-3D yet! Beend flying 2D all the time on mine.

To clarify PJA (being that you are a man of H3-3D experience).... You can simply swap out an H3-2D with the 3D version and run it off the upgrade board? I was hoping they'd come down a little with the onset of the H4-3D so might hold out a little longer (not that I think the price will lower much!). I will have to chop the larger hole in my P2 shell as it is an early version. Doh!
Hey Dewey... I'm actually not an owner of the H3-3D... I had the H3-2D which became damaged in a crash... I ordered a 3D but that got lost in the mail... Then I saw that a lot of people had problems with the H3-3D early versions so I decided to get a DYS Smart Gimbal for the P1.5 and an Arris 3000Pro for my f650...

I pass by once in while to check on the P1.5 thread and try to help others who are building one. I just know that the "H3-3D Interference Board" kinda got a bad rap when it first came out... Too much static, or something like that...

Anyway, hope you are doing well... I'm updating my P1.5 with Retracts and the FrSky X8R Receiver (I had the X4R-SB in there previously)... I haven't done any flying since it got brutally cold here this winter... So I figure I'd upgrade both my rigs until better flying weather prevails...

Later...

Hello everyone!

The Phantom1.5 community just got a new member! First of all I would like to say thank you to all contributors of this amazing post! After reading almost all of it, I was finally ready!

What I used:
  • P2 board
    P2 shell
    FPV board
    P2 CAN Module
    P2 USB cover
    Battery door 40mm (shapeways)
    Optional: Multistar 3S 5200mAh battery (the short compact one, not the long one)

The P2 shell comes with a full set of screws and LED covers
The P2 board comes with screws
The CAN module comes with one leg

So a few thoughts and the pictures...

The conversion took me about 4 hours (for the main work) plus some outside testing. No issues, everything is running as expected...I can confirm that the compass has still to be connected directly to the GPS module of the P1. So don't use the compass port on the P2 board, doesn't work. The M3 servo cable is too short, so a small extension is needed. I suggest you mount the board and the NAZA like in the P2 (same orientation). Then, the H3-3D gimbal is working perfectly fine with the P2 board.

The balance is now perfect, the P1.5 isn't tipping from the nose anymore. And the flight times are of course amazing!

My P1.5 configuration:
  • Zenmuse H3-3D
    GoPro Hero 3+ BE (Powered)
    Flytrex Core V2
    Fatshark VTX
    iOSD mini
    T-Motors MN2214 with P2 9443 propellers

Naza V2 settings:
1st level protection set to 10.6 (loss 0.4)
2nd level protection set to 10.1 (loss 0.4)

Environnment:
Altitude around 700 above see level
Temperature 0-3 degrees

Flight time 2x DJI stock battery 3S 2200mAh (4400mAh):
Take off weight 1348gramms
1st level protection 12min3sec
2nd level protection 14min01sec

Flight time Multistar 3S 5200mAh battery:
Take off weight 1313gramms
1st level protection 16min10sec
2nd level protection 18min30sec

Attachments