Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Sorry PJ - I didn't do a video just have the two pics of the cable and color codes. In attached pic you can see P2 board connector and color codes where they come off.

Attachments

• El G most excellent decipher.jpg
    El G most excellent decipher.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 619

cellarboy said:
What kind of flight times are people getting with the 1.5 conversion using the P2 battery and Props?

It depends on how loaded with add ons - bare they seem to be doing 18-20+ minutes. One of mine with gimbal, FPV,2.4 G/S & tx is doing 16 minutes easily.

I'm getting 9 minutes, landing at 20-22%. Gimbal, GoPro, GS, FPV. Why so little time compared to your easy 16 minutes? :(

EMCSQUAR said:
cellarboy said:
What kind of flight times are people getting with the 1.5 conversion using the P2 battery and Props?

It depends on how loaded with add ons - bare they seem to be doing 18-20+ minutes. One of mine with gimbal, FPV,2.4 G/S & tx is doing 16 minutes easily.

Im running P2 board, no gcu,pmu and a direct canbus wiring to board for osd

GearLoose said:
I'm getting 9 minutes, landing at 20-22%. Gimbal, GoPro, GS, FPV. Why so little time compared to your easy 16 minutes? :(

What is your AUW and battery? How are you determining 20-22%?

The AUW is 1455g, the voltage levels are 10.5/9.9.

I used the mah reading on the charger to determine battery %. Is there another way?

Both P2 batteries are almost new.

ElGuano said:
GearLoose said:

What is your AUW and battery? How are you determining 20-22%?

GearLoose said:
The AUW is 1455g, the voltage levels are 10.5/9.9.

I used the mah reading on the charger to determine battery %. Is there another way?

Both P2 batteries are almost new.

Hmm. That AUW is very very high, a typically heavy loaded phantom 2 is closer to 1350g. This has a huge impact on flight time. What exactly have you added to it in terms of components?

Also, 9.9 is dangerously low, that's more like 95% drained. 10.5v loaded is a good landing voltage alarm as long as you land immediately after seeing the alarm. It's probably 85% drained on most batteries.

Yes, it is something of a pig but I have to say it flies well, at least for my requirements -- photography. When I did the conversion I made no attempt to shorten cables or modify components to reduce weight. It has:

PMU
iOSD Mini
Futaba tx
P2 and XT60 battery connectors
LED module on Dewey mount
extended landing gear
stock props
GStation/Air module
iBCrazy helical
Tarot 2D w/GPro Black
Fatshark 250mw tx

Just short of the kitchen sink....

GearLoose said:
Yes, it is something of a pig but I have to say it flies well, at least for my requirements -- photography. When I did the conversion I made no attempt to shorten cables or modify components to reduce weight. It has:

PMU
iOSD Mini
Futaba tx
P2 and XT60 battery connectors
LED module on Dewey mount
extended landing gear
stock props
GStation/Air module
iBCrazy helical
Tarot 2D w/GPro Black
Fatshark 250mw tx

Just short of the kitchen sink....

If it works, that's great. Answering your question, it is a huge reason for your flight times :)

@EMCSQUAR

I'm about to pull the trigger and order my parts for the Phantom 1.5 mod. I'm going to go the Phantom 2 board path suggested by yourself. Just wanted to check before I hit the "place order" button that there''s no additional cables or cable mods needed with the Phantom 2 board approach? I read on another forum that the GPS and compass from a Phantom v.1.1.1 wont connect to a Phantom 2 board directly. True? I'd also personally noted that the Phantom ESCs will still have to connect to the Naza vs. connecting to the sockets on the P2 board. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

I just joined the club, fitted my guts into a P2 housing, running V2 LED, Arris 3000 gimbal, FatShark 600mw 5.8 Tx, Walkera 9" X350 props. Still need to tune the gimbal, then off to test fly it. For now I'll be using my old batteries and just making a cable to parallel 2. Ordered Dewey's battery cover with V2 LED mount integrated.

now my P1 housing becomes a crash test dummy........

cellarboy said:
@EMCSQUAR

read on another forum that the GPS and compass from a Phantom v.1.1.1 wont connect to a Phantom 2 board directly. True? I'd also personally noted that the Phantom ESCs will still have to connect to the Naza vs. connecting to the sockets on the P2 board. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for late reply - was out of town. I've never heard that compass & GPS won't work. I know for a fact the GPS works and on P1 the two are connected in the lid so I don't see why not. On mine that I have the P2 board, it's using a Naza V2 with Gps/Compass "puck" combo and that's plug & play. Re: ESCs - yes they plug in individually rather than board plug in. It's that board plug in is where P2 ESCs are wired through to battery for smart battery to monitor. In the the P1.5 conversion you're bypassing the P2 ESCs plug in and wiring similar to P1.

Hi All,

I posted several weeks ago about doing the P1 -> 1.5 conversion.. and I'm almost done.. Steps taken:

• 1) Internals transferred to new shell
    2) IPC added for P2 battery
    3) P1 LED added to the front
    4) Sarawuth Mod completed for Canbus port (hopefully :S)
    5) iOSD Mini installed

I'm pretty much at the stage where I want to test before putting it all back together. Should i fully rebuild the phantom before doing a power on test? Or can i leave the shell open? (with the top GPS model plugged into the main board, and the compass cord into a leg sitting on the side. I want to test that everything is working, power, iosd, etc. And then apply some silicon to the solder joints before sealing her up. Any issues with booting up the phantom half put back together? I know it might be a silly question but after doing the Sarawuth mod I'm a little freaked out :shock:

Here are some pics of the mod, soldering, and the canbus cable I made (following d3wy's instructions the best I could) If you see anything I might have screwed up on please give me a heads up! Thanks everyone!

BsE5qFA.jpg

Silicon Removed from Gnd and RV solder points

ku3DMAa.jpg

Canbus Cable

cSaJUpT.jpg

Custom Canbus cable soldered to main board 1

VDlfgYm.jpg

Custom Canbus cable soldered to main board 2

dZjAT4s.jpg

Close-up of Sarawuth Mod soldering 1

DHxaZCL.jpg

Close-up of Sarawuth Mod soldering 2

andras, at first glance that all looks good! You might want to mark your homemade canbus plug somehow so you won't easily connect it the wrong way (upside down). In Dewey's vid you'll see he wrote "logo" on the side of his plug that should align with the DJI logo on the stock canbus plug.

Well everything worked! She's all assembled back together and rocking a P2 battery and iOSD working flawlessly. This was one hell of a fun project! Just some stats:

(I haven't weighed the the drone yet)

P1.5 with IPC and xt60 jack
Immersion RC 600mw vtx
iOSD mini / custom canbus cable / sarawuth mod
P2 stock props

First flight the battery lasted 17mins before auto descend kicked in (first 12 minutes fairly aggressive flying around a field in loops, then the last 5 was just hovering about a meter off the ground) Really impressed :)

Much better then my 8 mins with P1 shell and 2200mah. :D

Welcome to the club. And congrats on your 1st flight.

Good job andras...that's a very respectable time for a loaded P2 so it sounds like you're getting everything out of your 1.5 that you can expect. I'll also be curious to see what your total weight is. Do you have a gimbal as well?

@all my other 1.5 brethren: I don't know if you saw this yesterday, but it looks like there's a v3 of the upgrade board now, that may have the canbus header like the P2 mainboard: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21748&p=199030

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the new board will eliminate the add on hub, so literally everything is plug & play.

EMCSQUAR said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the new board will eliminate the add on hub, so literally everything is plug & play.

We can hope!

Let us know if you see any of these come through your shop, I don't know how many upgrade boards you install or work on. I'm just curious where the new ones are ending up in the distribution network.

Lately all I'm seeing is P2 replacement boards - that's the first I've seen or heard (in other thread) but DJI is about due for some new launches acoording to past history.

Keep your eyes out for a new battery and a "Super Phantom" is all I can say...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94