Video Editing Software

Reaction score
Im looking for good video editing software that can handle the 4k imagery I get from my P4P. Ive tried shotcut and I couldnt export anything that wasnt glitchy and lagging. Also tried hitfilm 4 express and couldnt even import. Looking for simple tools, and most importantly being able export without losing quality. Any suggestions?

Vegas 14 or power director 15 works if you need something less expensive.
In vegas 14, you can proxy the 4k files. This means that the editor gives you a preview like file to work with, but you need to wait a bit for it to process your 4k. I also only render the transitions or spots that I need to check since it still lags a little on a mid-high end computer. 4K files are no joke. I personally like Vegas since it gives the editor more control.

* I have both...
If you go to school, then you can also apply for an academic discount. The lowest price I've seen Vegas at was on sharbor.com, but it seems like they cranked up the prices a bit. I got mine for $129.99.

Last edited:
I use Power director 15, you can get it as a package with photo director and sound director, that should cover you for everything you will ever need to do with your P4P. I got my package for less than a hundred bucks. Its easy to use, intuitive, and can handle every codec that the P4P can record in including the H265.

Remember, all things equal even with the best software editor, if your hardware doesn't have the horse power you're going to have a negative experience editing 4K video, with the possible exception of using proxy files which somewhat complicates your workflow. I've tried a few editors in the past, but for me Adobe Premier CC works best, supports proxy files and integrates well with the rest of Adobe's Creative suite such as After Affects, Audition, Photoshop, Media Encoder, etc. The subscription price is not too bad and you also have the benefit of thousands of online tutorials, templates, etc. Caveat is that you need some fairly beefy hardware to run it at its best.

GO with vegas if you run an AMD graphics card, and go with Adobe if you run an NVdia graphics card. That's what the tech guy said at microcenter. Power Director 15 works legit too, but I like Vegas because of its better color correction.

If you have a decently powerful computer you can use Davinci Resolve 12.5. It is very powerful software and uses Proxy files but I found that my 1GB Video Card wouldn't get the job done. I upgraded to a 8GB AMD card and I have a SkyLake i7 with 32GB of RAM and it runs great.

The software is free, but it needs good hardware.

Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers