Video downlink quality of P4Pro

Reaction score
I use phantoms for research documenting the behaviour of small whales. I fly P3pro but I am often challenged by the quality of the video downlink to the controller. In summary the quality cost me data. I fly over water, and very often experience a kind of mild jpeg blockiness of the image. I think it is due to the drone percieving the surface as uniform and try to save bandwidth. BUT in fact it very much reduces the resolution i can use to track the animals, and i loose them from sight even though i can see them clearly in the video later. I have tried all the tricks of custom quality settings, i have even exchanged antennas on controller with long range antennas. No effect.

SOO my main issue when wanting a new drone is absolute quality of video downlink i can see on the ipad or other platform, the pilots live feed, in lack of the proper lingo please help...

Anyhow i have heard implied that the video link on the mavic may in fact be superior to the p4pro.. BUT i actually would prefer the p4pro since i have to hand catch the drone, legs are better for that. So if anyone has both, and especilly tried the p4pro on the water, filming straight down so only water surface fills the field of view I am very curious to hear what pilot feed quality you get. I am really uncertain how the two models compare. I can read that the mavic has occusync, and the other lightbridge but which gives the highest quality downlink ??

Hope someone can help before i have to make the investment.

Reactions: lone droner
Downlink is great o the P4P in video mode. It's a lot more clear than in camera mode. I can't comment on straight down over open water. I can test this for you this weekend if no one else can.

I'm following this thread. Would like to know how good video downlink is when comparing the P4P to the Mavic. I've been super happy with the video feed I get on my P4P. Def better than what the P4 was too. Very good cache files that I playback on my Ipad Air 2 pad too. Much more resolution than it was with the P4

If you use 5.8GHz downlink you will see a huge difference vs P3P downlink. The image is MUCH cleaner and blockiness free (at least what I see flying over grass with my P4P and Nvidia Shield)

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Downlink is great o the P4P in video mode. It's a lot more clear than in camera mode. I can't comment on straight down over open water. I can test this for you this weekend if no one else can.

Hey such a test would be awesome for sure :0)

If you use 5.8GHz downlink you will see a huge difference vs P3P downlink. The image is MUCH cleaner and blockiness free (at least what I see flying over grass with my P4P and Nvidia Shield)

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Excellent very good information. Thx a bunch

I'm following this thread. Would like to know how good video downlink is when comparing the P4P to the Mavic. I've been super happy with the video feed I get on my P4P. Def better than what the P4 was too. Very good cache files that I playback on my Ipad Air 2 pad too. Much more resolution than it was with the P4

Thx a lot for your input. Best wishes Jakob

Anyhow i have heard implied that the video link on the mavic may in fact be superior to the p4pro.. BUT i actually would prefer the p4pro since i have to hand catch the drone, legs are better for that. So if anyone has both, and especilly tried the p4pro on the water, filming straight down so only water surface fills the field of view I am very curious to hear what pilot feed quality you get. I am really uncertain how the two models compare. I can read that the mavic has occusync, and the other lightbridge but which gives the highest quality downlink ??

Since the P4P has two options and 5.8ghz being very unused the video is very clean. When I look at the videos saved to the tablet as part of the recording it says it's in 720. It's pretty good as well I've gotten a clean video feed as far as 4 miles and only one or two bars left on video signal.

DJI_0113.JPG
I use phantoms for research documenting the behaviour of small whales. I fly P3pro but I am often challenged by the quality of the video downlink to the controller. In summary the quality cost me data. I fly over water, and very often experience a kind of mild jpeg blockiness of the image. I think it is due to the drone percieving the surface as uniform and try to save bandwidth. BUT in fact it very much reduces the resolution i can use to track the animals, and i loose them from sight even though i can see them clearly in the video later. I have tried all the tricks of custom quality settings, i have even exchanged antennas on controller with long range antennas. No effect.

DJI_0113.JPG

SOO my main issue when wanting a new drone is absolute quality of video downlink i can see on the ipad or other platform, the pilots live feed, in lack of the proper lingo please help...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20