Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers

Weather was good today so decided to take it out on the water during a fishing trip.
Forgot to test the new Orbit feature. First hand launch and retrieve from a boat. Had to get my mate on his boat to catch it as I had too many potential things to hit on mine during the landing.

I tried to use Vertical Studio IOS version yesterday to film some jet ski action on a lake. I sent the P3 Pro up to about 40m and suddenly the iPad screen when monochrome and I lost contact with the bird. closed VS and opened GO and I had good signal and control. Landed, took off again and opened VS but within 10 seconds had the same problem. Had to give up. I did manage to shoot a moving car later in the day with no problems, so I've no idea why it went silly near the water (and I was 50m from the shoreline). I've posted my successful video on the Facebook page.

Weather was good today so decided to take it out on the water during a fishing trip.
Forgot to test the new Orbit feature. First hand launch and retrieve from a boat. Had to get my mate on his boat to catch it as I had too many potential things to hit on mine during the landing.
What did VS do that you couldn't have done manually?

Tried the iOS version of the app yesterday, works a treat, all I ever wanted from an app when I am shooting video. I am not too keen on the idea of pre planning waypoints and marking up maps, it limits creativity on a shoot, whereas vertical studio acts as a camera assistant as it is somewhat difficult to control the camera and drone at the same time whilst making sure the video is smooth.

The app still needs to be fine tuned, but a great first stab, and although having an uncluttered screen is nice, having telemetry data is a must when flying to make sure one can monitor the status of the drone but I am sure this is something that would be added at a later date.

Great product and one of the best apps so far, nice to see someone thinking out of the box rather than follow what others have already delivered.
Thanks a lot for the support! Vertical Studio still has a long way to go and I hope that with your help we can turn it something truly awesome. We've gotten feedback about telemetry info from a few folks so we'll be adding this in the first release for 2016. So please keep the feedback coming and feel free to share any videos you've filmed as well :) We love to see what folks like you can do with VS.

Reactions: sethmote
Just been out flying with the app and it worked flawlessly.
Having said that, the only time it lost the subject was when it moved into a very dark shadow, but that was to be expected.
As has already been mentioned, I would really appreciate having the battery state on show to save worrying about it. I had to keep bringing the quad back to check on it.
But on the whole, a really useful app that works very well.
Thanks!! Glad your first impression of VS was good :) We're actually adding telemetry and other flight status information to the top bar in the next release so that problem will be solved! How was your experience flying with the automated yaw control ? Was it intuitive ? Do you perhaps prefer iOC mode or a completely preplanned path instead ? Let me know! Also feel free to share any videos you've filmed as well.

This app is amazing...tested today and it worked flawlessly in all situations and the only thing I experienced was when the subject went into shadows..I am testing the IOS app on my P3P. Will put up a full review with video soon.
Awesome thanks! I'd love to see some videos your've filmed with VS so please feel free to share with us :D

I tried to use Vertical Studio IOS version yesterday to film some jet ski action on a lake. I sent the P3 Pro up to about 40m and suddenly the iPad screen when monochrome and I lost contact with the bird. closed VS and opened GO and I had good signal and control. Landed, took off again and opened VS but within 10 seconds had the same problem. Had to give up. I did manage to shoot a moving car later in the day with no problems, so I've no idea why it went silly near the water (and I was 50m from the shoreline). I've posted my successful video on the Facebook page.
That is very strange! Thanks a lot for bringing this to our attention. Could you tell me which iPad version you were using ? We'll try to reproduce the issue on our side.
Cheers.

What did VS do that you could't have done manually?
Have you tried flying and keeping a moving object in focus whilst the quad is not locked in position (i.e you are flying it around). It's pretty easy if use follow me mode and you ARE the subject. But when you are not the subject of the frame then it's pretty hard. I was pretty pleased with the results of the final longer video.
I've been flying R/C heli's since 1985 (First heli was a MFA 500) and drones for the last three years so think I have a pretty good grasp of coordination of all the controls. Before VS I was restricted to follow me mode.
To be honest you could get these shots manually but I reckon it'll take 10 flights and lots of editing. I only had to cut the composition once, plus I had fish to catch ;-)

Reactions: Neil Mathew
Have you tried flying and keeping a moving object in focus whilst the quad is not locked in position (i.e you are flying it around). It's pretty easy if use follow me mode and you ARE the subject. But when you are not the subject of the frame then it's pretty hard. I was pretty pleased with the results of the final longer video.
I've been flying R/C heli's since 1985 (First heli was a MFA 500) and drones for the last three years so think I have a pretty good grasp of coordination of all the controls. Before VS I was restricted to follow me mode.
To be honest you could get these shots manually but I reckon it'll take 10 flights and lots of editing. I only had to cut the composition once, plus I had fish to catch ;-)
I only asked because I am also doing Beta for VS and I am trying understand the complexities. I have not had the opportunity to test it on anything other than my son doing laps on a mountain bike, and that was already fairly difficult to keep him in frame without flying into stuff.

I only asked because I am also doing Beta for VS and I am trying understand the complexities. I have not had the opportunity to test it on anything other than my son doing laps on a mountain bike, and that was already fairly difficult to keep him in frame without flying into stuff.
Agreed. Flying and filming are a head-screw. I guess if we'd be after a perfect world we'd have an Inspire 1 with dual controllers. (1 pilot and 1 cameraman)
I was more scared of loosing the P3P in the sea than getting good shots. VS took most of the filming control over and I could concentrate on not ducking it in the sea. Luckily not too many trees to worry about.
I'd love to see the result on faster moving objects. Not too many published videos out there at the moment.

I reckon following a MB would produce some pretty cool shots.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl