Value of the Osmo Pocket

Reaction score
I'm surprised there's been no discussions about this product yet so let me get the ball rolling.

First, at $350USD for a 4K60 100Mbps gimbal based camera that is actually pocketable I think they are going to sell a crap ton of these. I suspect this will become a very popular choice for vacation pics and video and also as a vloging camera. The small sensor size will hamper its low light performance, but for most of those uses that should not be a big issue most of the time.

I'm not sure I'll spring for one as I'd be more tempted if the unit was a little more capable. Start with a better camera with a bigger sensor, say the one inch sensor in the P4P, and give it a chipset capable of 4K60 at, say, 150Mbps. Then, something like a 3-4 inch LCD screen of decent resolution rather than the tiny nearly useless one in the Pocket. Yes, such an Osmo would be larger and non-pocketable, but it would not need to be significantly larger. I know you can argue that you can use a smartphone and that's true, but do you really want to fiddle about installing and uninstalling you smartphone every time you go to use it. I mean, imagine you're on vacation and you have the Osmo Pocket and your smartphone -- are you going to leave the smartphone attached and be hampered in using as a smartphone or are you going to not put in on the Osmo so you can more easily use it as a smartphone. My guess is many will start out using the smartphone but after fiddling with that a few times they'll wind up just using it by itself and with so little a display that's a problem.

One thing that would be really nice is a fourth axis to take care of the up/down motion still visible with gimbal cameras using three axis -- using a spring loaded handle with a linear motor to compensate for the up/down motion would pretty well close the loop though such an addition would really be pushing into pro grade equipment and unlikely, at least for now, in the consumer space.

Still, for the price and at its size I think the Pocket is a good option and for someone doing home movies and vacation videos and for at least some vlogers the compact size and good price are likely to be hard to resist.

Brian

I agree that they will sell a lot of these. But as far as re-designing it, I'll wait until I have it in my hand to speculate on what changes I would want.

I agree that they will sell a lot of these. But as far as re-designing it, I'll wait until I have it in my hand to speculate on what changes I would want.

Well I'm not so much talking about a redesign but a higher end model, built as a complete system as apposed to gimbal you add a camera to, that has a better camera and chipset. If the talk of the Phantom 5 bears fruit then that camera, with interchangeable lenses, would be a good candidate for a higher end purpose built stabilized camera.

Brian

It’s useless imho. Users should spend more money on their mobile and pair it with a cheaper Osmo Mobile 2 for same result and portability and price but also enjoy the better phone, plus upgradeability when moving to newer phone.

Above is what I will do myself

I still use the original osmo for real estate shoots. Does anyone see any inferior points to this camera vs the original?

I'm surprised there's been no discussions about this product yet so let me get the ball rolling.

First, at $350USD for a 4K60 100Mbps gimbal based camera that is actually pocketable I think they are going to sell a crap ton of these. I suspect this will become a very popular choice for vacation pics and video and also as a vloging camera. The small sensor size will hamper its low light performance, but for most of those uses that should not be a big issue most of the time.

I'm not sure I'll spring for one as I'd be more tempted if the unit was a little more capable. Start with a better camera with a bigger sensor, say the one inch sensor in the P4P, and give it a chipset capable of 4K60 at, say, 150Mbps. Then, something like a 3-4 inch LCD screen of decent resolution rather than the tiny nearly useless one in the Pocket. Yes, such an Osmo would be larger and non-pocketable, but it would not need to be significantly larger. I know you can argue that you can use a smartphone and that's true, but do you really want to fiddle about installing and uninstalling you smartphone every time you go to use it. I mean, imagine you're on vacation and you have the Osmo Pocket and your smartphone -- are you going to leave the smartphone attached and be hampered in using as a smartphone or are you going to not put in on the Osmo so you can more easily use it as a smartphone. My guess is many will start out using the smartphone but after fiddling with that a few times they'll wind up just using it by itself and with so little a display that's a problem.

One thing that would be really nice is a fourth axis to take care of the up/down motion still visible with gimbal cameras using three axis -- using a spring loaded handle with a linear motor to compensate for the up/down motion would pretty well close the loop though such an addition would really be pushing into pro grade equipment and unlikely, at least for now, in the consumer space.

Still, for the price and at its size I think the Pocket is a good option and for someone doing home movies and vacation videos and for at least some vlogers the compact size and good price are likely to be hard to resist.

Brian

We just got ours yesterday the pocket Osmo, thought we could use it to follow the drone in the sky.

Everything worked , however activation with DJI is a little tricky, so you need to click the next button before you can click on the switch on the page to accept , which is so backwards and cost us a lot of time trying to activate the pocket..

Active track worked great even in low light but you really need Sun Light to get a good look on the movie.

The codec they used on the .mov plays really slow on 4K and that is on an 8 core Mac computer.

With that said I just got back from Best Buy because I returned it not because of the camera but the SD CARD SLOT

Getting the SD card in and out of the unit was very frustrating , they need to change how that works.
Getting it inside required a pin to push it past the flat surface and getting it out is even worse , pushing really hard snapping the tip to get it out.

What a trivial thing to get so wrong. ugh.

Hi Guys

Help does anyone know how to stop the bloody tutorial from starting every time you open the DJI osmo mimo, it is so very very annoying

Waylander

Hi Guys

Help does anyone know how to stop the bloody tutorial from starting every time you open the DJI osmo mimo, it is so very very annoying

Waylander

I find this incredibly annoying also.

Ive been enjoying the Pocket and especially its timelapse feature, but I cant say for sure yet how I feel.

Ive watched quite a few reviews about the Pocket and a few people stressed how difficult it was to activate. I also read a few about problems with the SD card slot. Also others say that you have to attach the phone to switch photo and video modes.

When I went to activate the unit, I was up in running in less than five minutes in the Best Buy parking lot (I got ants in my pants).

As far as the SD card slot, I operate it with my thumbnail with no issue at all (I think my M2P is more of a pain to remove the SD).

As for having to attach the phone to change settings, this is simply not true. The touch screen on the Osmo Pocket will allow full functionality of the unit, swiping in each direction from the main screen brings up a sub-menu.

Ill keep using it and trying different things, but so far its been quite enjoyable.

I’ve been using mine for several days now and I’m enjoying it... it’s very compact which allows me to always have it on me which has made for some great random impromptu shots... I will say however that it doesn’t do that well in low light, but it’s not horrible considering it’s size and smaller sensor... however over all when shooting during day or afternoon (when lighting isn’t an issue) it Performs very well... I did not have any issues activating it I was up and running within mins... in regards to attaching it to my phone I’ve actually been using a USB to lightning cable and have been connecting to it that way as it allows me more flexibility in my shooting since the camera isn’t physically attached to the phone not to mention it was a great way to get a shot over the crowd while using the phone as my view finder... putting together a few videos which will be on my YouTube channel soon! Make sure to check em out!

I was hoping when I saw the ads that it would be water proof. I see they will be coming out with a waterproof case for it but I was going to decide between this and a GoPro black 7. This is less of an action camera but could replace one for some people, especially since I read they got the fps up to 120 with a firmware update.

I was hoping when I saw the ads that it would be water proof. I see they will be coming out with a waterproof case for it but I was going to decide between this and a GoPro black 7. This is less of an action camera but could replace one for some people, especially since I read they got the fps up to 120 with a firmware update.

I havent found 120fps on mine after fw update

Theres no telling what they have in store for it. DJI is infuriatingly good at holding out on features when initially releasing products

Reactions: RJK
Update: mine died. Not sure why. I was using it this morning, and then I pocketed it and went to the bay and it was a paperwieght. Wont turn on, respond to the charging cord, anything. Going back to the store in the morning

When I physically turn the gimbal all the way to one side it almost touches the device. See the first image with the tiny gap.

When I physically turn it the other way it stops further away and doesn’t get close to touching itself. See the second image with the larger gap

Does everyone else’s Osmo Pocket do this? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 84FEE89D-9A3E-4EEF-A4D9-AA9B26FE6922.jpeg
    84FEE89D-9A3E-4EEF-A4D9-AA9B26FE6922.jpeg
    838.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 05E518A4-93C0-4E13-AF44-5BA2D0F60B27.jpeg
    05E518A4-93C0-4E13-AF44-5BA2D0F60B27.jpeg
    992 KB · Views: 358
Hi, this is my first post here.
I am surprised over how many negative comments the Pocket got – even from some who don't even have one...? Can admin remove speculations?
I got mine some weeks ago and I like it a lot. It does what it should, and very well too.
It cannot be compared with an iPhone on Osmo Mobile (I have that too) because the iPhone does not have 4K.
But tracking someone/something works fine with both Mobile and Pocket. Except the latter is smaller than just the Mobile handle alone. So I take it everywhere.
Sometimes when driving I suck a little holder to the window and let the Pocket film the road ahead. It is really easy to pin it on any stupid car doing crazy things ahead.
Weak light is a problem with most cameras and a small sensor is a challenge. I think it performs surprisingly well.
I don't like the activation part, why do I have to share my location and other data with a foreign company to use it – a camera?
Also, the app confusion is bad. I use Mimo with the Pocket, but DJI Go with the Mobile, same as I use with my Phantom drones. Would it be very hard to merge them all into one unified app, so handling could be more the same, regardless of device?
I have ordered some 3:rd party stuff: A phone holder with a little back rest for the Pocket so it will not just rely on the tiny lightning adapter, and some ND filters. Easy to find on ALI Express, and cheaper and hopefully faster than DJI, they are not shipping extras yet, not to Sweden anyway.

Hi, this is my first post here.
I am surprised over how many negative comments the Pocket got – even from some who don't even have one...? Can admin remove speculations?
I got mine some weeks ago and I like it a lot. It does what it should, and very well too.
It cannot be compared with an iPhone on Osmo Mobile (I have that too) because the iPhone does not have 4K.
But tracking someone/something works fine with both Mobile and Pocket. Except the latter is smaller than just the Mobile handle alone. So I take it everywhere.
Sometimes when driving I suck a little holder to the window and let the Pocket film the road ahead. It is really easy to pin it on any stupid car doing crazy things ahead.
Weak light is a problem with most cameras and a small sensor is a challenge. I think it performs surprisingly well.
I don't like the activation part, why do I have to share my location and other data with a foreign company to use it – a camera?
Also, the app confusion is bad. I use Mimo with the Pocket, but DJI Go with the Mobile, same as I use with my Phantom drones. Would it be very hard to merge them all into one unified app, so handling could be more the same, regardless of device?
I have ordered some 3:rd party stuff: A phone holder with a little back rest for the Pocket so it will not just rely on the tiny lightning adapter, and some ND filters. Easy to find on ALI Express, and cheaper and hopefully faster than DJI, they are not shipping extras yet, not to Sweden anyway.

My iPhone shoots 4K at 24, 30, and 60fps. I agree that the pocket is much smaller, but the only real argument there is not killing the phone battery when you may need it. The current consensus is that the Iphone XS and Galaxy S9 camera quality is still slightly outperforming that of the Pocket.

There are also quite a large number of units turning into paperweights after activation or charging. I had one of those units. Its believed that the gimbal doesnt power off fully on shutdown, and in my experience seems to be true. The battery then discharges past the point of revival.

I got another unit, but I am skeptical if this was just another hastily designed and released product like the past few releases.

My iPhone shoots 4K at 24, 30, and 60fps. I agree that the pocket is much smaller, but the only real argument there is not killing the phone battery when you may need it. The current consensus is that the Iphone XS and Galaxy S9 camera quality is still slightly outperforming that of the Pocket.

There are also quite a large number of units turning into paperweights after activation or charging. I had one of those units. Its believed that the gimbal doesnt power off fully on shutdown, and in my experience seems to be true. The battery then discharges past the point of revival.

I got another unit, but I am skeptical if this was just another hastily designed and released product like the past few releases.
Sorry about that 4K error in my post.
But I still think my pocket is a much smaller package than the phone plus the Mobile, with very good results.

Sorry about that 4K error in my post.
But I still think my pocket is a much smaller package than the phone plus the Mobile, with very good results.

I agree, for the price point and size it is a nice tool. My biggest gripe so far is the microphone quality, and the inabilty to add a better one.

better phone
Above is what I will do myself

The iPhone X has a good bit rate and the ability to use the new FilmiC Log v2 is good, but all phone video images still suffer from patterning due to over sharpening and to some extent, lens distortion as the lenses are really not the good. To have the ability of not tying up your phone as a camera is very appealing.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers