Using two different damper types to correct jello.

Reaction score
I have had success using an ND filter to eliminate the jello effect. But, I had to counter balance the weight of the ND filter with two quarters coins on the back of the camera and one quarter on the side of the gimbal. I used Velcro to attach and remove the quarters when not using the ND filter. All this does is mask the vibration by slowing down the shutter speed so that the vibrations become smeared (motion effect). After a crash, the gimbal arm bent which made the horizon un-level. The gimbal is more susceptible to bending because of the extra mass of the ND and coins. I straightened the gimbal arm to correct the level problem. (Remember, the section of the arm that must be straighten is between the electronics on the H3-3D and the camera mount. If one only bends the portion between the electronics and the phantom, this does not correct the problem because the leveling sensor onboard the gimbal will try to compensate for this correction).
Anyway, to the point. I would rather not use the ND filter and coins because of the extra mass. So, I tried an experiment using two different damper types. White (stiff) on the back and black (soft) on the front nearer the camera. This seemed to help a lot!!
This approach makes sense to me. In any vibrating system, resonance occurs at certain frequencies. All of the components that make up the system contribute to the resonance to some extent. Components that share the same physical characteristics (the same type of damper) tend to reinforce the resonant frequency. Using different dampers spreads the resonance out to separate frequencies and broadens what is called the "Q" of the system. The "Q" is called the quality factor affecting the amplitude of the resonance.
An analogy would be people walking in cadence on a bridge. If everyone walks at the same rate (marching) the bridge may resonate and causing it to malfunction. If half the marchers walk at a different pace, the effect is lessened.
More experimentation to come.

Last edited:
This approach makes sense to me. I'm currently using two black and two grey dampener balls, diagonally opposed. I get less jello than if I used all grey or all black.

Keep experimenting and keep us posted. Thanks!

I was flying in some windy conditions and noticed some jello in the video and assumed that my Zenmuse H3-3D was not working properly. I was also using 9443 props, which I haven't used before, my 9450's broke and I'm waiting for new ones. Does wind, causing the Phantom 2 to constantly maintain position, contribute to jello along with the 9443 props? Where'd you get the ND filter?

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj