Using the Phantom to drop stuff off? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just ordered a pv2+ mainly for fishing offshore. I would like to use it to spot floating kelp and structure that fish will congregate underneath.

I would like to come up with a way to enable the p2v+ to carry a small, infalted balloon with a little weight or something, mainly so when I spot a kelp with the drone, I can fly over, deploy the balloon as a marker and fly the drone back. Any ideas? I need it to be light weight obviously, have a range that can be controlled from about 1000ft ect.

drakeskakes said:
Hey guys, I just ordered a pv2+ mainly for fishing offshore. I would like to use it to spot floating kelp and structure that fish will congregate underneath.

I would like to come up with a way to enable the p2v+ to carry a small, infalted balloon with a little weight or something, mainly so when I spot a kelp with the drone, I can fly over, deploy the balloon as a marker and fly the drone back. Any ideas? I need it to be light weight obviously, have a range that can be controlled from about 1000ft ect.

I'm sure this could be accomplished with some kind of servo/solenoid but the problem is there are no spare channels on the stock DJI controller to operate it.

2trickpony said:
drakeskakes said:

I'm sure this could be accomplished with some kind of servo/solenoid but the problem is there are no spare channels on the stock DJI controller to operate it.

What about the gimbal tilt channel? Does that not exist on the visions?

davemcm said:
2trickpony said:
drakeskakes said:

What about the gimbal tilt channel? Does that not exist on the visions?

I think it does but I have read somewhere that this is a linear channel?

2trickpony said:
I think it does but I have read somewhere that this is a linear channel?

Not sure what that means, not really had any experience with servos except before I got a gimbal I hooked a 180 degree servo up to that channel and it could move a rod from facing straight up to facing straight down, could have used that to release a payload of some sort. Open a latch on a basket or something?

Would be neat to take one of those parachute guys up and release him or even a glider of some sort.... :D

OI Photography said:
jimandsue60 said:
I have 2 servoless payload release devices from E-Flight on my DJI F-550. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLA405 I do not know how they would be controlled on a Phantom.

I've been looking at that one for my 550 as well...has it worked well for you?

It works sweet! One is connected to a spare channel and the 2nd one is connected to the first one. You can select a few options with a short delay to release both with a short interval or release one then release the second one when ever you want.

7435234_orig.jpg

jimandsue60 said:
It works sweet! One is connected to a spare channel and the 2nd one is connected to the first one. You can select a few options with a short delay to release both with a short interval or release one then release the second one when ever you want.

Terrific, thank you! Is it always necessary to use the little matching release plate (with the holes like a bomb rack), or can anything of the right size be hooked up in the latch?

I like your setup on your 550...definitely looks ready for all-terrain duty :cool:

OI Photography said:
jimandsue60 said:

Terrific, thank you! Is it always necessary to use the little matching release plate (with the holes like a bomb rack), or can anything of the right size be hooked up in the latch?

I like your setup on your 550...definitely looks ready for all-terrain duty :cool:

I do not use the matching release plate. I use a bread/trash bag twist tie and make a little loop that goes thru the pin on the release mechanism. Then attach the twist tie to what ever you want to release. A paper clip would work also. Water balloons, eggs, nasty tomatoes, the possibilities are endless, Of course nothing illegal!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl