Which vision is best for my application?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering which will be the most cost effective and beneficial combination for my desired application.

Bascially, I am planning to use the Phantom to spot large schools of fish, as well as drifting kelp paddies and structure floating offshore when fishing down off Southern California. Spotting the drifting kelps is very difficult when near sea level, and the aerial support will seriously help in finding more fish, and saving more fuel.

Obviously, I need FPV. Currently, I have a Hero 3+ and am all set in the Gopro department.
So, do you think it would be better to

A) Buy a used phantom, add a FPV and Gimble?
or
B) Buy a new Phantom Vision 2+ ?

I'm starting to figure out that even after the cost savings of a used Phantom V1 or V2, after the addons it ends up being about the same as a new Vision 2, roughly.

If anyone has an idea of how I can build a Phantom 2 with gimble and FPV for under $1000, that would be ideal as I would use my GoPro.

My other option is there is a used Vision 2 on CL right now for $800 I might scoop up. However it lacks a gimble and gimble support.
I do however like the added "safety" features of the new Vision 2 +

I could buy a DJI P2+H3-2D Phantom 2 Quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal for GoPro for $999, but it doesn't have FPV and I'm back to the cost of a Vision 2+ after adding it

This is a HARD decision to make.

Hope you guys can help.

if you buy a vision your existing go-pro will be surplus to requirement as the vision won't be able to use it. If you're looking for better picture quality there is some differing points of view but video is better on the go-pro. Pictures are debateable but appear to be better on the go-pro.

If it were me, I'd be now purchasing a P2, H3-3D gimbal and use the existing go pro. DJI win either way. Just my own opinion.

Bmews

go the pv or the new pv+ for you application the vid via a desent smart phone will be ok plus you can switch from vid to photos while in the air and send or post the pics at the same time....
i have both the p2 with hero 3+ black, fpv more gear to carry and set up but i use it for video making.
The pv i use to see how far my cat is stuck up a tree... lol only takes half the time to set it up ... more time for fishing ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj