Using gasoline inversion generator

All great ideas. I'm looking to use an inverter and have it mounted in the cargo area of my Subaru Forrester similar to how some Jeeps and other SUV's have. I want it hard wired and permanently mounted.

Actually that is a good idea!
Would you be able to look over the following shopping list and check the combinations. Would rather go with the smaller Deka battery, larger charger and smaller
Sine Power Inverter. My combination is cheaper and lighter. Hoping to charge (1) P4 and (1) P3 battery concurrently using the DJI 100w charger two times without dropping the Deka below 50%. The beefier combination was able to charge (4) P3 batteries in an hour. Here's the link to the video
. If you don't want to fool with it -- no problem. Regards, WG

> Deka/MK 8G40-DEKA Gel, 12 volt 40 AH (32 lb)*
— or —
Deka Solar Battery Gel 8G31 12 Volt 98 Ah Gel Cell Sealed Lead Acid Battery (70 lb)

> NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger
— or —
NOCO Genius G7200 12V/24V 7.2A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger*

> Power Bright APS300-12 Pure Sine Power Inverter 300 Watt continuous / 500 watt Peak 12 Volt DC To 120 Volt AC w/ USB Charging Port*
— or —
Power Bright APS600-12 Pure Sine Power Inverter 600 Watt continuous / 1000 watt Peak 12 Volt DC To 120 Volt AC

Accessories

> NOCO Genius GC015 12V Eyelet Battery Indicator

> DROK® 0.56'' DC 3-30V Digital Voltmeter Voltage Tester Gauge Green Bright LED Display Two Wires Volt Meter for Solar Battery Monitor Car Motor Panel Mount

>P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor

no pricing on their site... gotta love it.
You know that that means? Lol of course you do, it means you better be a dink (double income no kids) or old enough to be able to afford expensive toys.
Wonder what it cost? $450? It is nice

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

A lot of us in ham radio use the Hondas. Excellent run time, quiet, and it has enough pump you can camp with it, etc. Around $999 most places. Thats a lot of money just to recharge drone batteries, but if you are going to use it for power tools, camping, outdoor lights at parties, etc. then it's worth the money.

The OP never stated whether this was a day trip into the wild, or if it involved staying one or more nights (unless I just missed it).

If it were a day trip a good option would be to buy more battery packs to have on hand (charged the night before), a DJI car charger and one of those small car jumper packs. This would allow him to make more flights without needing to charge, and if he did need to charge, he could charge from his car battery multiple times.

And if he ran the car battery down he could then jump it with the car jumper pack and it'll charge back up on the way home. Note- I would not use the jumper pack to charge as it would only have 1 or 2 charges so he would get more off the car battery, the jumper pack would just ensure the car can be started at the end of the day.

If the trip were for several days, then a generator that outputs 12v DC (in addition to 110v AC) with the DJI car charger would be ideal. With the 12v DC output the issue of whether you need true sine wave generator is moot. But the generator can be used for lots more than just charging batteries over this longer time period. A good solar generator would be an alternative.

James

Thanks for the replies. Right now just looking for tips/buying advice. Honda seems to be the top rated ($yikes) 4-stroke nice. Don't want to involve the cars electrical. So, I'm in the wild and need to do more video with three dead lipo's -- any other options. Buy more lipo's is one.
Without reading past this post, the most logical thing to do is just buy 2 more batteries. Cheapest, most convenient and environmentally friendly way to go.

If you are out in the wild, you are planning on carrying this? You know they are pretty heavy for any substantial distance carrying, right? Arm's gonna kill ya!. ****! Thought there was gas in the tank! Now what? ;)

Just buy 2 more batteries, my friend!:cool:

I have just got a Champion 3100 inverter. Not the lightest to cart about but you can charge your batteries, run lights etc. China made but an American brand. Not noisy. I'm in the UK and this looks like being a big seller here.

Any advice per buying/using a gasoline inversion generator (1000-2000w) for charging P3s/P4 lipo's in the wild?
I've had my EU2000i for 9 years now. I use it for a wide variety of uses with which I won't bore you. A great unit. I recently purchased a 36' Travel Trailer and I am purchasing the EU2000iC Companion which when paralleled with the EU2000i provides 4KW to power the RV when no hookups are available.

There are now many much more reasonably priced sine wave inverter generators available on the market. Some of these are a fraction of the price of the Honda. Generac has one on Amazon (800 watts) for $287.

I have a Yamaha which is also nice, but it was priced like the Honda. I bought it when there were only two choices available on the market, Honda and Yamaha. I probably would not buy it again today, not for those prices. They are good generators but in my view crazy overpriced.

If you have a vehicle available, why, I don't know why you wouldn't use it for charging through a regular or a sine wave type of inverter. For charging batteries a standard inverter would do fine. Sine wave inverters for the job are inexpensive... found some 300 watt versions on Amazon for less than $60.

There are now many much more reasonably priced sine wave inverter generators available on the market. Some of these are a fraction of the price of the Honda. Generac has one on Amazon (800 watts) for $287.

I have a Yamaha which is also nice, but it was priced like the Honda. I bought it when there were only two choices available on the market, Honda and Yamaha. I probably would not buy it again today, not for those prices. They are good generators but in my view crazy overpriced.

If you have a vehicle available, why, I don't know why you wouldn't use it for charging through a regular or a sine wave type of inverter. For charging batteries a standard inverter would do fine. Sine wave inverters for the job are inexpensive... found some 300 watt versions on Amazon for less than $60.

As far as I can tell, you get what you pay for with the generators. The reviews on the cheaper ones are poor compared to the Honda and Yamaha versions. If I need to replace any of mine it will be another Yamaha or Honda.

As far as I can tell, you get what you pay for with the generators. The reviews on the cheaper ones are poor compared to the Honda and Yamaha versions. If I need to replace any of mine it will be another Yamaha or Honda.

Problem for me is that I can buy 2 to 3 of the cheaper ones for one of the others. For occasional use it is very hard for me to justify.

One comment I failed to make on the inverter use in automobiles. A lot of the cigarette lighter type of connections in late model cars are marginal at best... Manufacturers use very light weight wire which results in significant voltage drop under load. The inverter will work better if you run the inverter from a wire that is heavier (8 or 10 gauge) right from the automobiles battery.

Problem for me is that I can buy 2 to 3 of the cheaper ones for one of the others. For occasional use it is very hard for me to justify.

One comment I failed to make on the inverter use in automobiles. A lot of the cigarette lighter type of connections in late model cars are marginal at best... Manufacturers use very light weight wire which results in significant voltage drop under load. The inverter will work better if you run the inverter from a wire that is heavier (8 or 10 gauge) right from the automobiles battery.

That's a fair point. If reliability and a design intended for heavy use are not critical factors then the cheaper options may be adequate.

Got lucky. The 2000iQ generator arrived seriously damaged -- returned -- put some of that into the DJI HDMI module and a pair of Fat Shark Dv3 goggles. Way more fun and much easier to lug around. Thanks Amazon or UPS for the chance to re-evaluate my charging idea.

What about a big 12v deep cycle battery and a DC power inverter? About $100 and rechargeable.

I have two 50AH batteries and an inverter in the tongue box of our trailer (JonRocket.com Trailer by Roger Smith) which I use for recharging my P3P's batteries (as well as other things like running a fan on really hot Florida days). The battery setup works well (and is a lot quieter than a generator!). It works great for single-day adventures, but, even without a fan running, it runs out of juice after the first day. So, I bought the generator that I mentioned earlier for those longer periods of time when the batteries aren't enough.

I Included two 12V "cigarette lighter" plugs in my battery setup. So, I just bought a car adapter for charging my P3P batteries. If it works well, I might buy a couple more and use them instead of the AC adapters., As has been mentioned, they'll be more efficient than using the inverter and AC chargers. But, I'll probably leave the inverter turned on since I use it for other things and it acts as a low-voltage alarm for the batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl