Useful LED upgrade

WOW! I am feeling so much better about my work benches now.
Nice guitars by the way. I'm an old drummer.
Thanks, I have a little business of building custom guitars made out of antique oil cans.

YES...well.. kind of. That is why on same tools I have like 5 of the same. I always know where one of them is :)
LOL, me to... nice cans btw.

Reactions: macsoft
I don't know if this will be helpful, but I attached a large mirror to the top of my flight-box. I launch from the top of the box and can see all of the LEDs quite easily reflected in the mirror.

I've done this in accordance with your diagram and instructions. Something isn't right.
I located mine in the lower half of the shell, so no wiring or plug would be necessary to the top.
LED_s.jpg

I get Red and Green, but no yellow. In addition, the outermost LED on the right in this video is the one I attached to.If you look closely, when the new topside LED flashess Red, that particular LED flashes red as well, but the other two on that side flash yellow.

How sure are you of the LED Pin Diagram (Anode, Red,Green)?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The ESC on-board diodes are definately common anode.

I also notice that the "the outermost LED on the right " does not illuminate Green either. It seems to be Red or nothing.

Each color string or group of three LEDs is driven by a PNP transistor which is driven by the ESC controller.

The overall problem here is that the on-board LED module segments are configured in series with a single limiting resistor and now this mod would have you [simply] 'piggybacking' addtional LED segments in parallel with each one of them. This of course is not proper design.

As you suspected earlier you're shunting current from one segment or color string and leaking current to the other.

This is a cool idea but this is not the proper way to achieve it.

I've done this in accordance with your diagram and instructions. Something isn't right.
I located mine in the lower half of the shell, so no wiring or plug would be necessary to the top.
View attachment 20511

I get Red and Green, but no yellow. In addition, the outermost LED on the right in this video is the one I attached to.If you look closely, when the new topside LED flashess Red, that particular LED flashes red as well, but the other two on that side flash yellow.

How sure are you of the LED Pin Diagram (Anode, Red,Green)?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hello Bob,
YELLOW is RED+GREEN.

Not having the schematic, I suspected this might be the case.
I liked the concept so much that I tried it nonetheless.

I now have a hole in my bird, so I'm not giving up that easily.

What makes you think they are in a common anode configuration?
The package pins are individual; it can be used either way, depending on your circuit

Do you happen to have the schematic?
But then we have the limitations of the ml board and what's possible with that...

The ESC on-board diodes are definately common anode.

I also notice that the "the outermost LED on the right " does not illuminate Green either. It seems to be Red or nothing.

Each color string or group of three LEDs is driven by a PNP transistor which is driven by the ESC controller.

The overall problem here is that the on-board LED module segments are configured in series with a single limiting resistor and now this mod would have you [simply] 'piggybacking' addtional LED segments in parallel with each one of them. This of course is not proper design.

As you suspected earlier you're shunting current from one segment or color string and leaking current to the other.

This is a cool idea but this is not the proper way to achieve it.

Well, now there's a handy bit of info.
Why would i want to make green?
I already have that - the diodes produce red and green.
Therefore, I need to produce yellow from the red and green.
if you have an RGB LED, same as on your drone: the YELLOW color is produced by turning both RED and GREEN LEDs at the same time. You don't need to produce nothing.
Connect the RED and GREEN LED legs to the indicated spots and you will have the yellow color when they both come ON at the same time.

I know that. I simply misread your post at the outset as you can tell from my reply.
My dyslexia has progressed to entire words, I guess. ;-)

if you have an RGB LED, same as on your drone: the YELLOW color is produced by turning both RED and GREEN LEDs at the same time. You don't need to produce nothing.
Connect the RED and GREEN LED legs to the indicated spots and you will have the yellow color when they both come ON at the same time.

Reactions: macsoft
I have red/green leds with a common anode on order.
I thought this was a great idea at first but now I'm not so sure.
Maybe I should buy a mirror instead.
or just keep doing the DJI belly crawl haha
the DJI belly crawl. The DJI compass dance. The DJI hand catch stance.
What other moves will my quad be teaching me? haha

I use the palm of my hand under the existing LEDs to see what's going on during calibration.

The one feature I'm surprised to find omitted is a super-bright orientation LED on the front facing panel of the Phantom - maybe slowly strobing, which can only be seen if the craft is facing you. Judging orientation would be much easier than it is at the moment.

I installed one of these $6 Superwhite LED arrays last summer. It really is extremely bright, and you can see it in everything but the most blinding sun. Do not use the connector that slides over the battery terminals. They never make good contact. Strip the wire ends and solder them to the power on the Main Board. There has been no noticable decrease in flight time.
installed.jpg

Headlight.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c7367a8c

------

I use the palm of my hand under the existing LEDs to see what's going on during calibration.

The one feature I'm surprised to find omitted is a super-bright orientation LED on the front facing panel of the Phantom - maybe slowly strobing, which can only be seen if the craft is facing you. Judging orientation would be much easier than it is at the moment.

Reactions: cjmwales
I have red/green leds with a common anode on order.
I thought this was a great idea at first but now I'm not so sure.
Maybe I should buy a mirror instead.
or just keep doing the DJI belly crawl haha
the DJI belly crawl. The DJI compass dance. The DJI hand catch stance.
What other moves will my quad be teaching me? haha

The "DJI Duck and Cover". I was standing too near my car in an open field when bringing her home. I tried to get a bit too cute and land it right in front of me. Apparently, the metal sent it haywire, and it flew right at my head. dropped the TX and fended it off, but not before it made mincemeat out of my right hand. Fortunately, we both survived.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers