use of multiple controllers

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I can imagine advantages to using multiple operators and controllers in which control of a flight is handed off from one controller to the next during a flight. One of the advantages would be that a series of two or more controllers could station themselves along a planned flight path and keep the drone in view at all times. Another advantage is that a drone could be launched by one operator and then landed near another operator miles away. This would make much longer one-way flights possible. I have thought of achieving such flights by starting a Litchi mission and then driving from the launch point to the landing point, but it would be easier with multiple operators. It is my understanding that it's not possible to use more than one controller, but it would be a useful option in some cases.

It is my understanding that it's not possible to use more than one controller
That's correct. The second remote controller wouldn't be able to take over since it wouldn't be linked to the aircraft.

The idea of one-way flights is interesting though. As long as you have a friend at the other end. Never tried it but losing the video feed, on a Litchi mission, would be a bummer. Never get to see the landing. Need a booster halfway. The military uses satellites and they never lose connection, with their drones. Hmmm food for thought.

I'm not aware of any logical reason why it has to be that way
Well, that's just how it works today. I'm sure DJI could make that work (if they wanted to).

But really can't get the point. What would that be for?
If you want really long flight you can move from one to another point with the same controller. Then you make the video by cutting landing sequences.

Only thing that would be really an advantage is having two controllers - one for flight and the other one for taking video or pictures.
And you already have such thing at Inspire. That is much better then to fly and take really good pictures and videos in the same time. We mostly do the corrections in post production.

But really can't get the point. What would that be for?
If you want really long flight you can move from one to another point with the same controller. Then you make the video by cutting landing sequences.
There are locations in which it would not be possible to move from the launch point to the landing point during the time of the flight, such as a wilderness area without roads, an area with a waterway but no bridge, etc.

Yes I understand that, but then it would be impossible to put another remote to that location either.

Yes I understand that, but then it would be impossible to put another remote to that location either.
I have flown my drone in many locations at which (1) there wouldn't be enough time to travel between the launch and landing points during the time of a flight, (2) it would be fairly easy to travel to the launch and landing points when given sufficient time (even if it were difficult, I am willing to go to a LOT of trouble to do certain flights), and (3) it would be highly desirable to have the capability of doing such flights with two controllers and two operators. Need is the mother of invention, and the idea comes from my experiences in the field.

Launch a litchi mission, beginning to end with no return. Program to hover or land at the last Waypoint. Either have somebody waiting or drive to the other end but have your RC attached to the bottom or top of your bird. ? without video device attached. So funny it's almost feasible.

Launch a litchi mission, beginning to end with no return. Program to hover or land at the last Waypoint. Either have somebody waiting or drive to the other end but have your RC attached to the bottom or top of your bird. ? without video device attached. So funny it's almost feasible.
I have, of course, considered that approach, but it leaves no margin for error. What if the terrain is rough near the landing point? Or if there is water nearby? Having a second operator in the area eliminates those issues.

Rodger that. If you knew the layout of the landing spot well, like somebody's backyard, it might be feasible. But you or somebody's got to be there. Have fun fly safe.

FYI -- LItchi provides 5 options for how to finish a mission. Landing is one of them. If you'd pre-qualify the landing zone at the final waypoint, your idea is doable but not recommended. You'd have to post an observer at the landing location to keep it clear of obstructions/risk. Once the Litchi mission is launched, the bird doesn't talk to the remote unless you trigger an intervention. Absent an intervention, the bird will complete the mission even if it looses connection to the RC. That's why RTH is a preferred option for finishing the mission.

Soooo....... your one-way flight is physically doable. Not a good idea though. Not likely to stay in VLOS, and loss of communication with RC puts you into an unsafe/unacceptable condition with FAA.

Reactions: Capt KO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20