USB Debugging no longer required on Android devices?

Reaction score
Since getting my replacement Nvidia Shield tablet (battery recall), I had been having problems with the controller disconnecting randomly. I'd be flying around, and suddenly the DJI Go app would say DISCONNECTED (or something similar). No warning, no weak signal, just a sudden disconnect. I'd still be within radio range, the P3P would still respond to all inputs via the controller, RTH still worked, but the app would remain disconnected. Restarting the app would have no effect; only when I turn the controller off and back on again, then restart the application, would it re-establish communication.

Since the RC still had radio communication with the P3P, and due to the immediate nature of the disconnect, it made sense to me that maybe maybe the USB cable was to blame. I tried 2 other cables, but no difference. The disconnect was very random. It could be 2 minutes into the flight, it could be 15, or anywhere in between. The only other thing I could think of was that maybe I had a flaky USB port on the tablet. So I contacted Nvidia support. They agreed with my testing and diagnosis but wanted me to try a factory reset the tablet first before issuing an RMA. So I gave it a shot. I have only had 3-4 flights since the factory reset, but have not had any disconnects.

A realization occurred to me a couple of days ago...when I reinstalled the DJI Go application, and reconnected to the P3P, it never asked me to enable USB debugging. I went and looked at the settings - sure enough, Developer options were not yet enabled. When I did enable them, I was able to verify that USB debugging was not enabled. I factory reset my old Nvidia shield several times in the past to troubleshoot various issues, and always recall it requesting to enable USB debugging after reinstalling the app.

So my question is this...when did DJI stop requiring USB debugging be enabled for proper communication? It wouldn't surprise me if this was the root cause of the problem.

Thanks!
Happy Flying

Always ON....

Do this: Go to Applications installed - look for "Google Service Play" - return it to factory mode or remove all updates.
Also, on Google Play, turn off on settings, Auto updates.

Now try to fly.

Always ON....

Do this: Go to Applications installed - look for "Google Service Play" - return it to factory mode or remove all updates.
Also, on Google Play, turn off on settings, Auto updates.

Now try to fly.
No, you should definitely turn it off with all mainstream android tablets, including the Shield. And that stuff about disabling/downgrading google play services doesn't apply anymore either, sorry.

Works for me using my Shield K1 (disabling Google Play services). If I have it running, the app disconnects so I would say it still applies.

After 1.3.2 update, there is no need to use USB debugging.
I have also notice same with my Shield, DJI GO and Litchi are much more stable with debugging disabled.

Reactions: JBG
Thanks for the input everyone. I also searched through the current manuals, there is no reference to usb debugging being enabled as far as I was able to determine, this no longer seems to be a requirement. I've never quite understood why it was required in the first place - maybe for gps coordinate updates? Anyway I'm leaving it off unless the DJI app indicates otherwise.

Disabling Google updates was the fix for the DJI Pilot application crashing, but I've had it rolled back/disabled since June.

Works for me using my Shield K1 (disabling Google Play services). If I have it running, the app disconnects so I would say it still applies.
If you simply disable play services the maps won't run.
For a while installing all their updates was helpful as the app would repeatedly crash and reboot with some message about "google play service has stopped".

Does anyone, using Nvida Shield K1, make it a rooted device? So much blotware on Nvida.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.