US regs - people and flight crew

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not in the US but am still interested in some of your regs for hobbyists when it comes down to over flying people, assuming you have a regular quad with no safety redundancies. I've read some stuff that says do not fly over groups - but what about individuals? I've read advisory §44809 but doesn't seem to say much on this topic. Obviously crowds are out but can you get waivers for a small group or an individual? Is there a definition of flight crew for a hobbyist and can a pilot designate someone as flight crew even though the person is not really doing anything to assist the pilot? I would have thought over flying any number of people is prohibited but is a rule hobbyists in particular will tend to ignore.

If there's an easy link to the legislation then I am happy to read that through.

Thanks!

Technically, there are currently no actual rules that prohibit flying over people under hobby flights. However, it's still a horrible idea.

For now there are no official Community Based Organizations (CBOs), and those are the rules you need to fly under as a hobbyist.

The best thing to do is to just not do it.

And to get to fly over people as part of the flight crew, you must fly under 107 rules. And those include PIC, VOs, or other safety people.

The best thing to do is look at Section 349 of the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act. It's pretty easy to read.

Technically, there are currently no actual rules that prohibit flying over people under hobby flights. However, it's still a horrible idea.

For now there are no official Community Based Organizations (CBOs), and those are the rules you need to fly under as a hobbyist.

The best thing to do is to just not do it.

And to get to fly over people as part of the flight crew, you must fly under 107 rules. And those include PIC, VOs, or other safety people.

The best thing to do is look at Section 349 of the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act. It's pretty easy to read.

?

Hi, I'm not in the US but am still interested in some of your regs for hobbyists when it comes down to over flying people, assuming you have a regular quad with no safety redundancies. I've read some stuff that says do not fly over groups - but what about individuals? I've read advisory §44809 but doesn't seem to say much on this topic. Obviously crowds are out but can you get waivers for a small group or an individual? Is there a definition of flight crew for a hobbyist and can a pilot designate someone as flight crew even though the person is not really doing anything to assist the pilot? I would have thought over flying any number of people is prohibited but is a rule hobbyists in particular will tend to ignore.

If there's an easy link to the legislation then I am happy to read that through.

Thanks!

Where are you?
In Aus flying over 1 person is illegal.

Where are you?
In Aus flying over 1 person is illegal.
In Oz, too (Sydney). Whilst we have our particular 30m lateral proximity rule, I would have thought the over fly rule would be universal in any regulated country. Interested in the differential rules in the US and that hobbyists, it appears, have more latititude. In Oz, a hobbyist drone pilot is probably flying under the s.101 Model Aircraft regs, but there's not a huge difference.

I used to live in Ryde many years ago then the Central Coast before moving up here 25 years ago.
You should put your location in your profile so we can see it.
CASA rules used to state "populated areas" but this caused confusion so they made it 1 person as populated.

Flying over a few people is no problem and is done quite often. I never try to fly over anyone, but by looking at videos on YouTube, you can see it is done. I did a video of a large carnival for children. I told the church that sponsored it, I will not fly over the carnival, but only video from a distance for safety reasons. My flying inadvertently took me over a few people because the crowds were over 2,000. I didn't like it at all and was glad when I landed.
I did some flying late at night to avoid the crowds. It was a tourist spot at Christmas time a few years back. The Christmas lights were beautiful. Yes, there were some people and cars below me.

Flying over a few people is no problem and is done quite often. I never try to fly over anyone, but by looking at videos on YouTube, you can see it is done. I did a video of a large carnival for children. I told the church that sponsored it, I will not fly over the carnival, but only video from a distance for safety reasons. My flying inadvertently took me over a few people because the crowds were over 2,000. I didn't like it at all and was glad when I landed.
I did some flying late at night to avoid the crowds. It was a tourist spot at Christmas time a few years back. The Christmas lights were beautiful. Yes, there were some people and cars below me.

You guys have git it good in some ways.
We can't fly between dusk and dawn.
CASA monitor you tube and fine anyone not playing by the rules.

You guys have git it good in some ways.
We can't fly between dusk and dawn.
CASA monitor you tube and fine anyone not playing by the rules.
Yes there is a little give and take both ways. The same here about YouTube.

I bet Sidney at night would be beautiful.

I have only done two night videos. One was of fireworks and one was Pigeon Forge at Christmas time.

Reactions: Phill2
Great vid and choice of music.
That's the sort of thing I'd like to do but even if I did I couldn't post it anywhere.
I'm on the QLD coast at Yeppoon but Xmas and New Year has some great fireworks.

Twos company and threes a crowd?

Reactions: WV. Rootman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20