Urgent Request: Hurricane Florence Disaster Response Pilots

I just got the latest email from FDS saying, hey guess what we actually don’t need anyone. So congrats on a great marketing campaign that no doubt got 1000s of drone pilots to sign up and willing provide their data to FDS, I’m sure we will all be getting Black Friday Sales special sent to our inbox targeting the drones we listed. I wish I would have come up with this marketing idea.

I just got the latest email from FDS saying, hey guess what we actually don’t need anyone. So congrats on a great marketing campaign that no doubt got 1000s of drone pilots to sign up and willing provide their data to FDS, I’m sure we will all be getting Black Friday Sales special sent to our inbox targeting the drones we listed. I wish I would have come up with this marketing idea.
Yeah, and even though they lured everyone in with promises of a guaranteed $500 per day, now they will cherry pick only those that admitted they would work for a mere $200 a day, should they ever really have an "URGENT Request!" It's a reverse auction, and a race to the bottom!

IMG_2117.PNG

Last edited:
Yeah, and even though they lured everyone in with promises of a guaranteed $500 per day, now they will cherry pick only those that admitted they would work for a mere $200 a day, should they ever really have an "URGENT Request!" It's a reverse auction, and a race to the bottom!

View attachment 103753
You got it right ! a good way to find those willing to work for squat and get emails and other info ! . once i saw the rate sheet and what you would expect i knew something was up

Reactions: GadgetGuy
You got it right ! a good way to find those willing to work for squat and get emails and other info ! . once i saw the rate sheet and what you would expect i knew something was up
They did the same thing on the CommercialPilots.com forum, claiming to have an URGENT NEED for power line inspectors at $500 per tower, but requiring all applicants to first complete a $2000 one week training class at their location at your expense, to be qualified to apply. The Scam Alerts were through the roof! :eek:

Ok gang. Just because the need never materialized doesn't mean they weren't trying to do the right thing.

If this thread keeps going this direction it will be closed. We are better than this people.

For the record there ARE jobs out there paying very good money and in fact I've done some for in excess of $500 each. Just because you don't get the call doesn't mean the need wasn't real. The sheer # of drone operators available for each actual job is mind boggling and it's going to get more and more saturated with the low bar for entry into the commercial sUAS arena.

Ok gang. Just because the need never materialized doesn't mean they weren't trying to do the right thing.

If this thread keeps going this direction it will be closed. We are better than this people.

For the record there ARE jobs out there paying very good money and in fact I've done some for in excess of $500 each. Just because you don't get the call doesn't mean the need wasn't real. The sheer # of drone operators available for each actual job is mind boggling and it's going to get more and more saturated with the low bar for entry into the commercial sUAS arena.
Agreed. My main point is the same one you are making, too. It's a race to the bottom, and while $500 a day jobs may exist, they are rare, and quickly and easily filled, while the vast majority of other drone jobs are paying $200 a day or less, because hobbyists can easily get a 107 and are happy to just make enough money to pay for batteries and beer. It's a hard way to make a living, but a fun hobby. :cool:

Agreed. My main point is the same one you are making, too. It's a race to the bottom, and while $500 a day jobs may exist, they are rare, and quickly and easily filled, while the vast majority of other drone jobs are paying $200 a day or less, because hobbyists can easily get a 107 and are happy to just make enough money to pay for batteries and beer. It's a hard way to make a living, but a fun hobby. :cool:

You nailed it!

I posted about this earlier, but on the recent cell tower job I was able to make in excess of $500 on the days I hustled.

In case no one has ever managed a large project where you have pick up labor such as this, you have to ask for help very early in the process before the final request comes down to start. If you wait for the final request to start work, you are behind the curve and will most likely not be able to get all the help you need lined up in a short period of time.

So, lets examine this hurricane help request. The future need was recognized based on the predicted damage from this hurricane. Lots of organizations were looking for drone pilot support in anticipation of assessment work. The damage or resulting assessment work did not materialize, because the damage did not occur.

To be unhappy about this, says a lot about an individuals priorities. Personally, I would rather not have the damage occur and all those folks along the coast not have their homes destroyed. I can find plenty of work.

I will support FDS or SSA if they would need me.

I posted about this earlier, but on the recent cell tower job I was able to make in excess of $500 on the days I hustled.

In case no one has ever managed a large project where you have pick up labor such as this, you have to ask for help very early in the process before the final request comes down to start. If you wait for the final request to start work, you are behind the curve and will most likely not be able to get all the help you need lined up in a short period of time.

So, lets examine this hurricane help request. The future need was recognized based on the predicted damage from this hurricane. Lots of organizations were looking for drone pilot support in anticipation of assessment work. The damage or resulting assessment work did not materialize, because the damage did not occur.

To be unhappy about this, says a lot about an individuals priorities. Personally, I would rather not have the damage occur and all those folks along the coast not have their homes destroyed. I can find plenty of work.

I will support FDS or SSA if they would need me.
I think you misunderstand the posters. It was the mandatory application which required stating a minimum day rate for contact by FDS for work, that allowed FDS to harvest those willing to work for $200 a day while advertising $500 a day. Why would FDS hire anyone at $500 a day when they have found others who will do the same work for $200 a day and FDS can then pocket the $300 a day difference, plus their usual fee, as the project contractor? The work will always go those willing to do it for the least amount of money, in a race to the bottom.

I participated in the South Texas Cell tower inspection package that recently occurred. I flew several towers each day, easily enough to cover expenses +profit.

There was plenty of towers to fly and as many as I could do in a day. I could have done more if I could have been more efficient, or wiling to rush around. I was just taking my time enjoying myself.

So, the questions becomes:

Would I fly towers for SSA again? Absolutely.
They are a good bunch of folks that got their arms around a project and passed work on to other pilots. That means a lot in my book.

Sean
Sean, I'm curious as to the type of drone you use to fly tower operations
Thanks
Chip

Hello @skiptv. I can assure you that this was not a marketing campaign or a joke of any type at all. The goal was never to collect a list of people to market to - we already pay to sponsor 5 of the pilot forums if we want to simply reach people with announcements of sales, etc. We are from a state that finds itself either threatened to be in the path of many hurricanes - or actually affected by hurricanes that make landfall in the SE part of the US. When a storm is predicted to make landfall at a catastrophic level and we are asked to prepare as many pilots as possible to help in the recovery efforts of power and communications we accept the challenge and rise to the occasion. Do we wish we could have deployed everyone who wanted to help in the recovery efforts - of course we do. Do we wish that at the expense of the residents of the Carolinas - most definitely not. Did we collect 1000s of pilots names who wanted to help - no we did not. Maybe we have reached the people that want to assist from prior storms. Last year we had people out with power companies and telecom companies assisting with the recovery efforts. Most people who worked on those projects volunteered to help again - and contrary to the opinion of some in this thread, this year's pay was going to be a little more than last year's pay. Not because people wouldn't have done it for less - many people would volunteer to help without pay in these scenarios - but because our experience, our ability to quickly manage and deploy resources to the areas that were projected to need it and our reputation as a reliable source of qualified pilots allowed us to make that happen.

We will continue to develop our resources to respond to all of the requests we get for commercial and disaster work. The box on the form that people select as a minimum to be contacted about is simply a filter we can use to not bother someone with something that is not at their interest level. If a job pays $800 we do not offer it to some at a lower amount because of a box on a form they filled out...but we wouldn't contact someone who had a daily minimum of $1000.

I hope that adds a bit of clarity to our intention.

Reactions: FL_Mike

View attachment 103753
While other companies may do something like this, this is not accurate from our perspective. We do not send work to the pilots to "bid" on. It pays what it pays regardless of what a pilot's personal minimum might be.

Agreed - and thank you. We just completed multiple tower projects and power line contracts and pilots made well in excess of those numbers. The work is certainly not for everyone - towers and power lines require an above average level of skill and calm nerves - but the financial portion has worked out well for many.

I agree with you on this one. For us its about accepting the right kind of jobs. Locally we will accept some real estate work but try to have pilots do a few different locations for the day to get into the $500 - $800 range.

While other companies may do something like this, this is not accurate from our perspective. We do not send work to the pilots to "bid" on. It pays what it pays regardless of what a pilot's personal minimum might be.
Maybe you could add some clarity to how you get paid by the entities that hire you, if isn't on a flat day rate per pilot, which you then outsource at a much lower rate, to make a profit. If the job only pays $500 per day per pilot, and you pay out $500 per day per pilot, how do you stay in business as a project contractor? What am I missing? How do you arrive at the day rate that you will pay the pilots?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj