UpSonder.com and Dronebase.com

Reaction score
I've been looking for "reputable" companies to fly my drone for and I am very concerned about some of the companies that are putting their websites out to do this for.

These are my concerns about them:

#1 Do you trust them?
#2 Are you going to get paid by them?
#3 Is it ethical?
#4 Are you "creeping" on someone?
#5 Are you staying within the standards that that FAA gave you a license for?
#6 Is this in the bounds of what you got your drone for (personally)?
#7 What is your mission for having a drone?
#8 Is this making someone's life better by flying your mission?

These are questions I ask myself and I most definitely will tell you that these are the most important things that come to mind. I am quite concerned about companies like www.dronebase.com and www.upsonder.com.

I question their regards to practice and motives of what they are trying to achieve, short of monetary gains. I really don't trust any company I can't call. Which neither has a phone # on their website.

Keep this in mind... If you are going to work for a company (1099 or not) you should be able to contact them over the phone.

My suggestion to all is "be careful" when dealing with these people. In my short time I've seen quite a few sharks and they are only there to take advantage of FAA certified drone pilots at our expense for their purposes. Be very careful.

Happy and safe flying to all

I've been looking for "reputable" companies to fly my drone for and I am very concerned about some of the companies that are putting their websites out to do this for.

#1 Do you trust them?
#3 Is it ethical?

These are questions I ask myself and I most definitely will tell you that these are the most important things that come to mind. I am quite concerned about companies like www.dronebase.com and www.upsonder.com.

I question their regards to practice and motives of what they are trying to achieve, short of monetary gains. I really don't trust any company I can't call. Which neither has a phone # on their website.

Keep this in mind... If you are going to work for a company (1099 or not) you should be able to contact them over the phone.

My suggestion to all is "be careful" when dealing with these people. In my short time I've seen quite a few sharks and they are only there to take advantage of FAA certified drone pilots at our expense for their purposes. Be very careful.

Is this a warning?

I'm not sure I understand this post.

I fly for Drone Base. I've made almost 2k on the side since last November. I have 2 different contact numbers for this company, and the email response from this company is all most instantaneous.

Thanks for the heads up on upsonder. Never heard of them them. I'll check them out.

Edit: Here's a few links on discussions concerning DB.

Is drone base a scam?!

Has anyone used Drone Base?

Last edited:
I've used DroneBase a LOT and have had good results with them. I even have a contact # and their emails are returned incredibly fast during business hours.

UpSonder ~ I've applied with but have not done any work yet. I've asked their Head Honcho to stop in and put his 2 cents into this conversation.

Lyons063 in this day and time of "Virtual" everything we are seeing less and less phone #'s published on websites etc. Usually once you start dealing with a company you have much more "access" to the company than a casual web surfer.

I've made over 10k+ with DroneBase and can vouch for them....I've been flying for them for almost 2 years and haven't had a issue

I finally got my cert numbers and have dronebase loaded and ready to go whenever I get a chance. But I have to say I e gotten quick responses to questions I've had for the and I haven't even started a mission yet

#1 Do you trust them?
#3 Is it ethical?

Thanks @BigAl07 for notifying US. @Lyons063 - Up Sonder launched March 1st 2017. We are a marketplace that is built for drone pilots. We aim to take a different approach than our competitors in this space. Not only is it a source of drone jobs, but we are a way for drone pilots to hire each other’s services and rent equipment from each other when traveling on location for larger jobs. (It's not always cost-effective to support airfare and lodging for the whole crew.)

Regarding trust and ethics (#1, #3), Up Sonder is a transparent company and we only allow FAA certified drone pilots and FAA registered drones onto the site (no exceptions). Clients know what you see is what you get. Up Sonder doesn't believe in bidding wars and both sides of the marketplace know how much Up Sonder is paid (5% from Providers and 10% from the clients on each transaction). Understanding what the client is charged and what is paid out to the drone pilot is a mystery with some of our competitors.

The Up Sonder marketplace gives complete control to each pilot with regard to price points, accepting/rejecting bookings, setting a cancellations policy, scheduling, discounts, etc. and clients and pilots are always in direct communication from start to finish. We are still in Beta so work is ongoing to build out this marketplace with both registered Part 107 pilots and clients looking to hire a drone pilot or service.

Also, Up Sonder went a step further and gave a platform for its members to also rent out their equipment if so desired and backs it up by a million dollar liability insurance policy and protects their drones against damage with a company guarantee of up to $2,500 - all at no cost to its members (no other company offers this). (#2) Payments are directly deposited into our member's accounts two business days after the job is completed (clients pay in full before booking). I'll let other pilots speak on points #4-8.

I think you have two great companies here trying to link those in the drone industry, each doing it in their own way. Up Sonder is expanding into other areas having to do with the energy sector - I'll be posting a four-part blog series explaining this on May 4th and I'll be speaking more about this in person at the Ascend conference July 19th in Portland.

Regarding not having a number to call, email directly at [email protected] and I'll give you my personal cell number. As a company, we choose to keep everything online as it keeps things organized and allows for efficient follow-ups.

Living in Portland, I got all excited about the Ascend Conference, and then I read the ticket prices......

I'm signed up with Up Sonder now....

Thank you all for your responses. Please don't take my statements as being too harsh. I will contact [email protected] you directly. I think there are great things in the upcoming future for drone piloting. I look forward to speaking tomorrow...

Best Regards,

I've used DroneBase a LOT and have had good results with them. I even have a contact # and their emails are returned incredibly fast during business hours.

UpSonder ~ I've applied with but have not done any work yet. I've asked their Head Honcho to stop in and put his 2 cents into this conversation.

Lyons063 in this day and time of "Virtual" everything we are seeing less and less phone #'s published on websites etc. Usually once you start dealing with a company you have much more "access" to the company than a casual web surfer.

Gothca, I've reached out to UpSonder. I look forward to speaking with Derek tomorrow. Please UNDERSTAND this was NOT a slam against them. I look forward to speaking with them. I'll keep you all updated.

Is this a warning?

I'm not sure I understand this post.

I fly for Drone Base. I've made almost 2k on the side since last November. I have 2 different contact numbers for this company, and the email response from this company is all most instantaneous.

Thanks for the heads up on upsonder. Never heard of them them. I'll check them out.

Edit: Here's a few links on discussions concerning DB.

Is drone base a scam?!

Has anyone used Drone Base?

I hope all will do your due diligence on every flight you are proposed to fly. Simply said...

Yep, thats part of my job.

Thanks for the comments on my YT!
So I spoke with Derek from UpSonder and I really like their platform. I highly recommend communicating with these guys if you are not yet. They've got some great things lined up.

Reactions: Up Sonder

#1 Do you trust them?
#3 Is it ethical?

Ok, so let me clarify because I kinda feel like I stirred up a hornets nest with this. I just spoke with Derek (CEO) of UpSonder and I can't tell you how much I like the business plan and direction moving forward. He was very genuine and believes in his business. I will most definitely work with these guys. They have quite a different business model in this new and developing industry. It is Pilot focused and I hope the way things will work moving forward in the commercial drone industry.

If you are a certified drone pilot I highly recommend connecting with this group.

Ok, so let me clarify because I kinda feel like I stirred up a hornets nest with this. I just spoke with Derek (CEO) of UpSonder and I can't tell you how much I like the business plan and direction moving forward. He was very genuine and believes in his business. I will most definitely work with these guys. They have quite a different business model in this new and developing industry. It is Pilot focused and I hope the way things will work moving forward in the commercial drone industry.

If you are a certified drone pilot I highly recommend connecting with this group.

Let me also say "customer" oriented as well...

Good to hear. Signed up this weekend and hoping for good things

Flown one contract flight with dronebase, hope to fly many more. Attempting to sign up with UpSounder, but I'm not putting my bird in anybodies else hand.

Reactions: JJErrico

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj