Upgrading p4 no more bin files just plug and download

The drawback to this upgrade path is, as with the Vision+, once you update there is no going back since you never really have control of the file. Also with the old Assistant DJI made a habit of forcing updates without permission. I prefer the BIN file method.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Not only that, with the bin file method I could update in the field when on trips. All I needed to carry was my Nexus 7 and a sd to micro usb stick to get it done. No need to lug around a laptop for the job. A year ago DJI was touting the bin file method as an improvement.

Last edited:
We need people hacking the SW and FW. That is where the real fun begins. Imagine opening up the full potential of these things. Yes there will be an increased risk of failure, kind of like reprogramming the ECU chip in your sports car back in the day.

They should allow more flexibility. Hell, I ordered the thing, and while it's not a deal breaker, it's about the only thing I would need a computer for instead of a laptop. Lately I've been running businesses out of a tablet.

They should allow more flexibility. Hell, I ordered the thing, and while it's not a deal breaker, it's about the only thing I would need a computer for instead of a laptop. Lately I've been running businesses out of a tablet.

I agree, but Apple products define the word "inflexible" so this makes sense. DJI is already known as the "Apple" of the remote control hobby world. They sell great products that are totally proprietary and they won't really interchange with anything DJI doesn't directly sell. BUT, I love my P3. I will also be getting racing drone that I can cobble anything together I want onto.

P.S. I am an Android/PC guy, can you tell?

Reactions: bighi
I'm the same. Never cared much about living in the Apple matrix. Hell, I live in three different countries after all. I'm extremely patriotic to my immediate family and it's sovereign interests. A guy like me just does not coincide with Apple's version of flat earth ideals where folks pay (and happily) for things others have enjoyed for longer and for free. I still remember the first i pod fan boys walking around paying for music and listening to them in mp3 format (after paying no less) while I had been doing the same for years and for free. Then again, gullibility of the human mind never ceases to amaze me. Some people truly need a master to be happy.

As for my DJI interests, yeah, I ordered a phantom 4 even though I own two 3's. But these little Apple like moves by DJI could really be a primer to more "here altar boy, hold my hand while I keep you safe here in church" NFZ stuff they introduce and even get praise from the disciples. You better believe I keep an immersion RC vortex 250 pro as well.

I tell you... I still want an inspire. Here is what I'll do. I'll fly the piss out of my phantom 4. Like always. No crashes since I'm not into the fly low and film trees thing but keep doing the high and very far thing. At full speed. See if the new top and bottom shell motor mount holds up to sustained high speeds. If not, I'm going inspire.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonEQuest
98 SE LOL! o_O

Latest news I've gotten from DJI regarding firmware updates on the phantom 4 is that there will be two methods. Assistant software or directly from the DJI go app. Sounds good if it's true.

Not only that, with the bin file method I could update in the field when on trips. All I needed to carry was my Nexus 7 and a sd to micro usb stick to get it done. No need to lug around a laptop for the job. A year ago DJI was touting the bin file method as an improvement.

My understanding is the bin method will still work. DJI wanted to create a more user friendly way to upgrade the aircraft. The current way to update P3P create a support nightmare for them, because people weren't sure what sound/flashing lights they were supposed to wait for and would abandon update before it finished. This way the average guy just follows the onscreen instructions.

I don't edit videos. I have zero interest. I'm long range flyer first, long range flyer second, picture taker third. There are plenty of photo editing tools that work on tablets. While I could take photo editing more seriously, I have way too many hobbies as it is. For my needs, what I have suits me fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie