Upgraded Video for 4k editing.

Reaction score
I bought Cyberpower PowerDirector 15 Ultimate Suite to do my video processing. It runs well, but the 4k preview, in the player was, well, framing a lot. I have a 2011 Dell XPS with a 3.4ghz I-7 Quad Core, with 16 gigs of ram, all that seems good enough.

But the video card is responsible for the preview and my on NVidia Geforce GTX 560 ti was showing its age. So I looked into upgrading, got a deal on a 960ti, which should have worked but did not, seems my bios wont support it. So I look into a new machine, $1600-$2100 for something that would work. Well that sucks, a lot of money for video.

So I did some more research and found that the EVGA GForce 1050ti, would work with my system. Not the latest, but a heck of a lot faster than the old card. So I order one from Amazon, it arrives 2 days later.

I open the box, take out the card and compare it to the old one. o_O It is half the size or less, has no external plugs for power, the old one took extra power from the power supply. and It has copper pipes and tubes and all kinds of stuff that looks impressive. The new one is a fairly simple looking card, with one fan and not power plugs. It says it only requires 75 watts, so no need for extra power. So I plug it in.

Sure enough, it works, boots up, updates the driver and it is ready to go. I take a raw 4k video from the P4P, one that would previously be broken up and impossible to view. It pops up, full screen and plays it perfectly! Yahoo! :D

So for $170, the thing now does all that I wanted. I am sure that I could render a bit faster with a new computer, but this is not bad now!

So, if you are seeing this same sort of thing, maybe a new card is all you need?:)

Good info, thanks!
Can PowerDirector use proxies?
Yeah, it can. It is a pretty extensive program with a lot of extra programs for specialized work, audio and stuff. I like it, pretty easy to learn to use and has more than I will probably ever need.

Yeah, it says so, it is pretty good, you can download a free trial of the PowerDirector 15 and see what you think. It is a little crippled of course, but you can get a chance to check it out.

I bought Cyberpower PowerDirector 15 Ultimate Suite to do my video processing. It runs well, but the 4k preview, in the player was, well, framing a lot. I have a 2011 Dell XPS with a 3.4ghz I-7 Quad Core, with 16 gigs of ram, all that seems good enough.

But the video card is responsible for the preview and my on NVidia Geforce GTX 560 ti was showing its age. So I looked into upgrading, got a deal on a 960ti, which should have worked but did not, seems my bios wont support it. So I look into a new machine, $1600-$2100 for something that would work. Well that sucks, a lot of money for video.

So I did some more research and found that the EVGA GForce 1050ti, would work with my system. Not the latest, but a heck of a lot faster than the old card. So I order one from Amazon, it arrives 2 days later.

I open the box, take out the card and compare it to the old one. o_O It is half the size or less, has no external plugs for power, the old one took extra power from the power supply. and It has copper pipes and tubes and all kinds of stuff that looks impressive. The new one is a fairly simple looking card, with one fan and not power plugs. It says it only requires 75 watts, so no need for extra power. So I plug it in.

Sure enough, it works, boots up, updates the driver and it is ready to go. I take a raw 4k video from the P4P, one that would previously be broken up and impossible to view. It pops up, full screen and plays it perfectly! Yahoo! :D

So for $170, the thing now does all that I wanted. I am sure that I could render a bit faster with a new computer, but this is not bad now!

So, if you are seeing this same sort of thing, maybe a new card is all you need?:)

With your new card I wonder if you can test the playback of a 4K video (UHD) using the H.265 compression. I can play 4K H.265 within Adobe PP CC but when I try to play it with Windows Media Player or there other video player it chokes on 4K H.265 video. It plays but only about 40% frame rate with frequent pauses. I understand that newer GPU's and CPU's are H.265 friendly -- my current editing rig, built 19 months ago, has an Intel i7-5820K CPU that's a bit over clocked as well as an nVidia GTX 980 Ti GPU. Both are way above average in performance, but neither are H.265 friendly.

Brian

With your new card I wonder if you can test the playback of a 4K video (UHD) using the H.265 compression. I can play 4K H.265 within Adobe PP CC but when I try to play it with Windows Media Player or there other video player it chokes on 4K H.265 video. It plays but only about 40% frame rate with frequent pauses. I understand that newer GPU's and CPU's are H.265 friendly -- my current editing rig, built 19 months ago, has an Intel i7-5820K CPU that's a bit over clocked as well as an nVidia GTX 980 Ti GPU. Both are way above average in performance, but neither are H.265 friendly.

Brian
Windows Media Player will not play H.264, so I had to download a free player (not so good) before I got PowerDirector 15.
I haven't tried H.265, so I don't have any to play, I use H.264.

Windows Media Player will not play H.264, so I had to download a free player (not so good) before I got PowerDirector 15.
I haven't tried H.265, so I don't have any to play, I use H.264.

I'm not sure that I've done anything to make Windows Media Player play H.264 but it does so without a problem on every Win10 PC I have -- 6 of them. OTH, H.265 will play using Media Player but it stutters and is slow. As I understand it the latest GPU's from nVidia with the Pascal architecture are able to play H.265 smoothly. Also the newest Intel CPU's -- newer than my 5820K.

Brian

Ah, I have Win 7, Win 10 plays the H.264, as does my ANDROID Galaxy Tab S3.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl