Upgraded Compass causes flyaway?

Reaction score
So I am a new pilot. Bought a P2V from a friend for $200. Thought it was great deal and perfect to get experience before jumping into a better model.

After a few weeks of research and reading as much as possible, I flew several times with no issues. Except for rough landings. Suffice it to say I learned how to "hand catch" pretty quickly.

Anyways, time for upgrading and tweaking. I'm an engineer type, so I can't help myself. Changed out some beat wiring, 9450 props, new landing gear and an upgraded anti-septic compass. Nothing major, just minor tweaks right?

The anti-static compass proved to be the most challenging as the length of the cable was considerably shorter than the original. So the only way for me to mount it and allow the cable to reach the GPS puck was to re-locate the compass to the left front leg. The original was mounted on the right rear. (As viewed with the battery compartment facing me). I honesltly didn't think that it mattered where it was mounted, especially since it would be calibrated after install.

Pre flight checks, IMU cal, compass cal, wait for GPS and home lock. After takeoff, I come to about 8 feet altitude to do routine controller checks. I usually do this. Yaw left, then right. Roll and pitch etc... But before I get a chance to do anything the thing just takes off, full throttle straight west into some trees. Good thing I didn't go any higher in altitude, there would not have been any trees to stop the flyaway. Minor damage. Two busted props and some dirt and grass stains.

After replacing the props, I tried again. Re-calibrated everything, including the IMU. This time I tethered the Phantom using a nylon line tied to my wrist. Again it veers off and tries to roll to a new location. When the tether ran out it started increasing throttle to escape my restraint! It was actually kind of funny. Like a dog on a leash trying to chase a rabbit or something.

Anyway, I decided to go back to the original compass and problem solved.

Lesson learned: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Totally against my tinkering nature.

Question is, has anyone experienced this or know if compass relocation can cause such behavior? Or did I get a bad compass?

You dont need to relocate the compass. Just take the cover off where the anti-static compass is, unplug the cable and plug the old cable in.

I, and others, have done this with no problems at all.

Im a bit confused as well where you say you relocated the anti-static compass. Its built into the landing leg :confused:

Last edited:
You dont need to relocate the compass. Just take the cover off where the anti-static compass is, unplug the cable and plug the old cable in.

Im a bit confused as well where you say you relocated the anti-static compass. Its built into the landing leg :confused:

Yes it is built in. But depending on which side you mount the assembley to it can be on the rear or front of the aircraft.

I did see the posts about modifying the anti static compass with the old style cable. And that may be the next mod I make. Sounds like you have had success with it.

I am curious though if anyone has experienced what I did. I saw some post where the compass was mounted on sort of an outrigger arrangement. Apparently there was no issue there. I'm wondering if I got a bad compass, but not sure how to prove it except to try your suggestion.

Yes it is built in. But depending on which side you mount the assembley to it can be on the rear or front of the aircraft.
Still confused.
Are you confusing the compass with the GPS?
If you are talking about the compass it has a specific X-Y-Z orientation and if you don't install it correctly you may not be able to calibrate it. The compass is installed on the leg to keep it away from the metal and wiring inside the Phantom.

You cannot move the compass from one side to the other in the way you did.

You cannot move the compass from one side to the other in the way you did.

Yep. I know that now.
Too bad DJI doesn't state that on their packaging for the anti-static compass.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic