Upgrade your vision+ camera to 4K setup

Reaction score
If you think Phantom 3 cost too much to upgrade and you own a gopro hero 4/3, you could consider to mod your current vision plus camera to H4/3-3D + Gopro 4/3 4K setup.

Tested it yesterday and worked fine with Vision or SDK app. Here is video made by this setup:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Mako79
Sorry but you tube can't play 4k video that I am aware of. Most PC's won't and unless you buy a 4k capable TV it won't play them either. I don't do professional videography so then1080p is high enough resolution with High Enought Defination for most users. Most video uploaded to you tube are converted during upload to either 720 p or 1080p. With variable bit rates. I did watch a 4 k video on a 4k TV on Father's Day. Awesome, but the 4k is still a newbie. Not a you tuber yet.

Sorry but you tube can't play 4k video that I am aware of. Most PC's won't and unless you buy a 4k capable TV it won't play them either.

Youtube will play 4k video but the video needs to be in 4k. In this case the OP posted a video in 1080.

For me, the consideration is also what a video is going to look like in 2,3,5 years. I'm not going to go back and retake all of that video again. Take a look at video's posted 2 years ago on Youtube. They are really low rez. But what if they would have been shot in 1080 back then?

Reactions: BlackHawk388
Youtube will play 4k video but the video needs to be in 4k. In this case the OP posted a video in 1080.

For me, the consideration is also what a video is going to look like in 2,3,5 years. I'm not going to go back and retake all of that video again. Take a look at video's posted 2 years ago on Youtube. They are really low rez. But what if they would have been shot in 1080 back then?

That's the best reasoning right there. Not only that, but when you edit and zoom to get the blades out of the scene, you won't lose the clarity like you can in lower resolutions.

Sorry but you tube can't play 4k video that I am aware of. Most PC's won't and unless you buy a 4k capable TV it won't play them either. I don't do professional videography so then1080p is high enough resolution with High Enought Defination for most users. Most video uploaded to you tube are converted during upload to either 720 p or 1080p. With variable bit rates. I did watch a 4 k video on a 4k TV on Father's Day. Awesome, but the 4k is still a newbie. Not a you tuber yet.
YouTube has been supporting 4K since January 2014. All MacBooks featuring Retina-screens have a higher resolution than 1080p. 1080p looks grainy as hell both on my MacBook Pro and 2K external monitor. IMO, the time to take the step further than 1080p depends very much on the end user; for the average joe it doesn't matter much, but for the ones with particular interest in the subject, it sure does.

That's the best reasoning right there. Not only that, but when you edit and zoom to get the blades out of the scene, you won't lose the clarity like you can in lower resolutions.
Agreed, having the possibility to crop out (or "digitally zoom" if you prefer) subjects of the video is very useful. Not to mention the fact that you can actually print stills in a useable size with a 4K still.

One have to remember though that resolution is not everything. If you film a shot with the Panasonic GH4 (for example) in 1080p side by side the Vision+ camera, you'll see a massive difference. In 5 years the GH4 shot is probably still pretty good in terms of contrast, sharpness, clarity, colour and dynamic range, although it will be a slightly low-resolution clip. The clip from the Vision+ on the other hand is going to look obsolete in comparison.

Or take 1080p video from the Phantom 3 and compare it to Vision+. Huge difference. A good sensor with good dynamic range, paired with good optics is what we need.

If you think Phantom 3 cost too much to upgrade and you own a gopro hero 4/3, you could consider to mod your current vision plus camera to H4/3-3D + Gopro 4/3 4K setup.

Tested it yesterday and worked fine with Vision or SDK app. Here is video made by this setup:
How did you achieve this? A tutorial or something you can link to?

Or take 1080p video from the Phantom 3 and compare it to Vision+. Huge difference. A good sensor with good dynamic range, paired with good optics is what we need.
Totally agree! Thats the main reason we upgraded our phantom camera to Gopro.

Totally agree! Thats the main reason we upgraded our phantom camera to Gopro.
The problem is that you loose the possibility to control the camera from the application and to shot stills. This is a big issue for me to evaluate a gopro configuration.

The problem is that you loose the possibility to control the camera from the application and to shot stills. This is a big issue for me to evaluate a gopro configuration.

Yes you are right. but we actually have 2 vision+ for development and we seldom use it to take photo so it is fine for us. also, you could control the pitch rotation using the remote channel 7.

Yes you are right. but we actually have 2 vision+ for development and we seldom use it to take photo so it is fine for us. also, you could control the pitch rotation using the remote channel 7.
Yes if you don't take pictures is ok, i know how to because in the past i evaluated also the quick release option.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Its about time you came to the dark side. Winning!!!
Vision plus camera - nice photos but sucked balls at 1080p. And WTF @ 11mbs dismal video rates.
I got sick of the DNG FPV black outs when taking photos. Had to land the phantom and restart to get the FPV back. And the fact that I did 95% aerial footage, the H33D and GoPro 3+BE was the way to go. Smooth 1080p @ 60fps (30mbs).
What's best is the 2 way coms you still have - radar/dynamic RTH/Waypoint etc. And if you sold the gimbal and camera, it worked out cheaper than the P2/mini IOSD/Black Pearl/AVL58 combo.

And the freedom - you don't feel like you at DJI's mercy when that $600-$800 gimbal does the funky dance.

0M2Q1345.jpg
Vision plus camera - nice photos but sucked balls at 1080p. And WTF @ 11mbs dismal video rates.
I got sick of the DNG FPV black outs when taking photos. Had to land the phantom and restart to get the FPV back. And the fact that I did 95% aerial footage, the H33D and GoPro 3+BE was the way to go. Smooth 1080p @ 60fps (30mbs).
What's best is the 2 way coms you still have - radar/dynamic RTH/Waypoint etc. And if you sold the gimbal and camera, it worked out cheaper than the P2/mini IOSD/Black Pearl/AVL58 combo.

And the freedom - you don't feel like you at DJI's mercy when that $600-$800 gimbal does the funky dance.
Sold my Vision Plus Playschool camera for $450 :)

I modded my P2V+ to replace the cam with a GoPro 4 a few months ago, the video improvement is totally worth it but eventually I reinstalled the V+ camera because apps aren't able to automatically adjust the gimbal then which is useful for Follow me for example.
Now with the P3 I don't really regret reinstalling the V+ camera.

Agree!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.