Upgrade to I pad

Reaction score
I am flying a P3s with my I phone 6. Having to much trouble seeing the screen and would like to start using an I pad. Any recommendations?

Pro or mini (depending on how much screen real estate you want). Phantomhelp has a good resource for letting you know which models work with the go app. I have no issues with Air2 or last model Pro models.

You can find a list of compatible Apple devices here. The newest iPad models have the brightest screens.

Just curious, what tablet has the brightest screen? I can afford to upgrade but why bother if it's not that much better. I have a P3S so the DJI thingy is not an option, I have a
Asus Zenpad S 8 Z580C-B1-BK 8 inches and NVIDIA Shield. Both are OK but still wonder if I can do better. I would enjoy this hobby more if I could see better!

Just curious, what tablet has the brightest screen? I can afford to upgrade but why bother if it's not that much better. I have a P3S so the DJI thingy is not an option, I have a
Asus Zenpad S 8 Z580C-B1-BK 8 inches and NVIDIA Shield. Both are OK but still wonder if I can do better. I would enjoy this hobby more if I could see better!
I use an ipad mini 2 and the glare is a pita. My buddy uses an ipad air 2 and the glare is much better. Please no immature arguments about apple versus android, but from what I have seen ipad mini 4 and later are the best for glare reduction which is the big problem for seeing the screen outside.

I use an ipad mini 2 and the glare is a pita. My buddy uses an ipad air 2 and the glare is much better. Please no immature arguments about apple versus android, but from what I have seen ipad mini 4 and later are the best for glare reduction which is the big problem for seeing the screen outside.
Thank you! I'm open to either platform and actually suspect Apple is more stable, though no real issues with Android just yet. I just need to see better. I may drop by a Apple and compare my tablet to the mini 4.

Reactions: JoBe
Thank you! I'm open to either platform and actually suspect Apple is more stable, though no real issues with Android just yet. I just need to see better. I may drop by a Apple and compare my tablet to the mini 4.
The anti reflective coating they used sarting with the Air 2 is excellent and it got even better in later models. My buddy doesnt even use a sun shield. He just wears a dark shirt and it works for him. Sometimes he wears a dark colored wider brimmed hat.

How coincidental this thread has become. Just yesterday during a routine pre-flight check my NVIDIA Shield displayed "Disconnected" on both Litchi and GO. I turned it off and pulled out my ASUS ZeenPad 8. No problem.

The Shield is on Android 7 while the ZenPad is on 6. I may try the roll-back I found on another thread for the NVIDIA but it looks daunting.

Reactions: Bayouwatch
I use a Samsung tablet (android, but with a VERY reflective screen surface). Got tired of not being able to see a thing while operating in sunlight so I built my own sunscreen.

Bought a sheet of black posterboard - the kind with two pieces of posterboard with a piece of foam sandwiched between them - from Wal-Mart (about a dollar, if I recall), and a couple of rolls of glue-on Velcro. I scrounged a flat piece 1/8" plastic from my "don't-throw-this-away-because-I-might-find-a-good-use-for-it-someday" bin, and cut it down to size so that it could fit in my tablet holder.

Using scissors I cut two sides, a bottom, and a "front" out of the poster-board, then applied Velcro strips along the adjoining edges piece-to-piece. I also used Velco on the underside of the bottom, and mating pieces on the plastic piece, which makes those two pieces stick together, then I mounted those to the tablet holder. I then put a couple of pieces of Velcro on the upper side of the bottom piece, and mating pieces on the back of my Samsung tablet, then stuck the tablet to the bottom piece of the sunshield.

My home-made sunshield works like a charm - no more bright sky glare at all - and it breaks down into four pieces of flat poster-board which snuggle nicely into the pockets of the custom-fit P3 Standard drone backpack that I paid $5 for on an e-Bay auction.

I ain't sayin' that I'm a "penny-pincher" - but ol' Abe Lincoln winces mightily when he see's me reachin' for the penny he is on when I head out to go shopping!

I know this will probably sound ridiculous to some but being as I’m not computer savvy - does the I pad need to be WiFi and cellular capable or will just WiFi be okay to operate P3S?

You do not need a cellular connection to fly a Phantom. Without it though, you will not be able to do anything in DJI GO that requires connecting to the Internet (like logging into DJI GO or downloading the maps).

I first built a sunscreen from a foam core post board from arts and crafts store and packing tape. It worked better but was difficult to attach and remove so I bought one from Best Buy that was much easier. It lacked a narrow viewing face fitting part would have been about perfect. I then constructed a more narrow hood to reduce the opening that my face could block any sunlight remaining. Now I can see the smallest details on my older iPad full size screen. Much better.
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT