UPDATE: Still have shaky video after new shell!

Reaction score
IMG_2370.JPG
My videos all looked good until I ran my drone into the side of the sailboat we chartered. The drone bounced off and was able to right itself before falling into the water. I was eventually able to bring it back on board. Lucky me!

However, since that time, my videos have been shaky. I have calibrated the gimble and the IMU with no success. At rest, the video has no shake. I even turned on the video and walked it around the house and all was good. I also put on new props but this also had no impact.

I just happened to turn the drone over and noticed that one of the new props had a slight black mark on the underside of the tip. So, it appears that one side of one blade is hitting the shell slightly. I looked at all the props and this one side of this one prop seems to be much closer to the shell than the others. The only explanation I can think of is a bent motor shaft?

What do you guys think?

UPDATE: I looked at the motor shaft and it does not look bent. However, the motor does not seem to be centered in the shell hole as well as the other motors. I removed and reinstalled the motor and that did not fix the centering issue.

Last edited:
The motors are off centre on purpose.

I would suggest you check all the rubber gimbal damper mounts and do a balance of the blades.

I understand that the motors are leaning, but 3 of the 4 are NOT off center. Also, if it was normal, why would the tip on one new blade be hitting the housing as it must have to have a dark mark on it? I have checked all the damper mounts and they are fine. This is not due to blade balance.

I understand that the motors are leaning, but 3 of the 4 are NOT off center. Also, if it was normal, why would the tip on one new blade be hitting the housing as it must have to have a dark mark on it? I have checked all the damper mounts and they are fine. This is not due to blade balance.
What you have described is not normal as you suspect.

Is the shell okay? Possibly a crack in the motor mount screw holes for that motor?

I wondered the same thing but the housing looks just fine....no buckling, no cracks! Everything looks normal. I can't understand why one tip of one blade looks like it hit the housing (these are brand new blades). When I spin the prop, I can see that one side is closer to the housing than the other side and the other props. Still scratching my head here!

Surely if the blade is marked you should be able to see a mark on the shell as well?

I know that it's probably stating the obvious and that the blade is new, but is there any chance the blade is deformed? I've seen them come warped when new out of the packet - possibly due to bad storage or who-knows-what.

If you haven't already, try one of the other blades on that shaft and see what it looks like as regards proximity to the shell.

SOLVED

I found a crack that is very hard to see at the base of that arm. Looks like I have a new shell in my future!

Reactions: Oso
SOLVED

I found a crack that is very hard to see at the base of that arm. Looks like I have a new shell in my future!
Not happy you have a cracked shell, just that you found it. Good luck with the repair however you decide to proceed.

UPDATE: I ordered and replace the shell. There were a couple of small crack in the arms next to the main hub. I also found a torn damper during disassembly. I got everything back together and calibrated the gimbal and the IMU. The drone flies just fine now. However, I am still getting a shaky video!! To recap, I have brand new props on the drone (DJI), new shell, and 1 new damper. The video before takeoff is clean even with the props running. When it is in the air, the video is shaky (maybe jello effect? Not sure how to tell the difference). Wind this morning almost non-existent.

HELP!!

UPDATE: I ordered and replace the shell. There were a couple of small crack in the arms next to the main hub. I also found a torn damper during disassembly. I got everything back together and calibrated the gimbal and the IMU. The drone flies just fine now. However, I am still getting a shaky video!! To recap, I have brand new props on the drone (DJI), new shell, and 1 new damper. The video before takeoff is clean even with the props running. When it is in the air, the video is shaky (maybe jello effect? Not sure how to tell the difference). Wind this morning almost non-existent.

HELP!!

Another update: I spent some time looking at the dampers again and noticed that one of the clear plastic washers had fallen off the pin that goes through 1 of the 2 dampers with pins. I believe I read that these pins are only for insurance so that the camera does not fall off and otherwise do nothing. Any chance that missing washer is causing the vibration?

Okay, so I went out again with a higher density neutral filter and that had no impact. What I did do was hover the aircraft just above my head and I can visibly see the camera vibrating. This is obviously my problem but I don't know how to fix it. I've calibrated the gimbal and the IMU and neither seems to help. The props I put on are brand new so I doubt they are the problem since I had this issue with the previous props.

HELP!!
Have you tried balancing the props? Have a look on you tube for how to do it

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Okay....after careful inspection I noticed the camera does not move completely smoothly from left to right. I looked at the bottom of the damper plate and noticed that an arc had been scratched into the plate (see pic). I'm assuming this is not right.

I don't notice that the gimbal arm is bent. However, there is a small dent on the outside of the gimbal arm (see pic)
IMG_2401.JPG
IMG_2402.JPG
. Is there suppose to be some gap between the gimbal arm and the plate? Do I need a new gimbal arm?

Okay, I loosened the gimbal arm screw and moved the arm up so that there was a gap between the arm and the plate. The arm moved much more freely. I went into the backyard for a flight optimistic that this was the problem. I took off and had it hover at about 8 feet. I could still see the camera vibrating!!! NO!!! I went on a flight with the video on and then brought it back in. I calibrated the gimbal and went for another flight. I could still see the camera vibrating.

I put the memory card into my computer and guess what??? NO MORE VIBRATION IN MY VIDEO!!!! That was the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl