Unplugging battery before charging is complete

Reaction score
Folks, a quick question for those who are knowledgeable about batteries.

Background - I have a P3A with two batteries. A friend wanted something filmed and I agreed, but only had one battery charged, and we estimated that to get everything done comfortably would take more than one battery. I put the second battery on to charge and was tempted to unplug it before it had completed and the lights had gone out - we were getting into falling light / weather pressure (it's Ireland, we get used to that).

Anyway, if I had unplugged the battery when it was, say, 80% charged, would that affect it? I'm thinking of the balance here - easy to see in the app. Would there be any long term or short term problems if the balancing had not completed?

On my old PV+ I used to do a quick top up all the time and often wondered was this harming the batteries?

I've unplugged them early before and flown them without any ill-effect aside, of course, from the slightly shorter flight time. The balancing of the cells happens all the way through the charging (at least that's how it works on balance chargers of other lipos I have) so it will be pretty close to balanced when you stop charging.

Reactions: happydays
I've unplugged them early before and flown them without any ill-effect aside, of course, from the slightly shorter flight time. The balancing of the cells happens all the way through the charging (at least that's how it works on balance chargers of other lipos I have) so it will be pretty close to balanced when you stop charging.

I agree. Undercharge the battery is not a problem. Check the single cell voltage in the app to be sure they are almost balanced.

With a lipo battery it does not effect it as far as any problems just a 80% charge and shortened flight time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20