UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Distance, Speed, etc) v11

Re: FAA and flying our models safely 101

Gents,
It is not possible to make a blanket statement as the Federal Aviation Administration does indeed control USA airspace. There are mapped areas of controlled, regulated and non-regulated airspace that you need to be aware of in the areas that you fly. If you are planning to fly over 400ft without checking the FARs and NOTAMs then you are already in violation of FAA rules. If you are flying near a populated area, you will be in controlled airspace. The FAA will make no distinction of your "private citizen status" if you cause an accident or a safety violation. They do have published rules for us UAVers: https://www.faa.gov/uas/ as does the AMA: http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

"Model Aircraft
Recreational use of airspace by model aircraft is covered by FAA Advisory Circular 91-57 (PDF), which generally limits operations for hobby and recreation to below 400 feet, away from airports and air traffic, and within sight of the operator. In June 2014, the FAA published a Federal Register notice (PDF) on its interpretation of the statutory special rules for model aircraft in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. The law is clear that the FAA may take enforcement action against model aircraft operators who operate their aircraft in a manner that endangers the safety of the national airspace system. In the notice, the FAA explains that this enforcement authority is designed to protect users of the airspace as well as people and property on the ground. Read the full press release. Read more about Model Aircraft Operations."

Fly safe! ...and please don't be the one who ruins this hobby for the rest of us!!
Cheers,
Jim

Sketch6995 said:
ilovecoffee said:
MRSpyder2U said:
Mr. Coffee -
Among all of the other miracles you've worked with this app, might I impose on you to increase the altitude for the way-points? I have a specific mission in mind that requires the plus to climb 900 feet over a 1.5 mile distance and return.

I can, but I haven't. I am afraid people will possibly abuse it.

Also keep in mind that's going to be one long trip, as on the way back it will travel at a speed which allows it to descend 900 feet over 1.5 miles, which will likely be quite slow. You would likely run out of batteries before its return. That and I believe it is illegal to go above 400' in the US.

no its not a law, its an advisory, there are really no laws pertaining to a private citizen, the federal courts have rules the FAA only has jurisdiction over commercial aviation.

Re: UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Unlimited GS Distance

hey jim
its our hobby too, we might not use ours like you use yours, im not going to keep it under 10 feet because of the FAA or anyone else, all of us in here are more than careful and are well aware of the laws rules and ADVISORIES.
I am going to fly mine exactly how I want too.

if you want to fly yours like an old woman be my guest.

theres always going to be asshats that fly in ways they shouldnt. but this isnt the thread for it, this is a thread for ilovecoffee's modified app.

No go coffee, I set the waypoints and when I hit "go", it boots me out of the GS screen and back to the camera screen, and all telemetry data is grayed out. Interesting that DJI has this coded in but disabled, my guess is they couldn't get it to work reliably in time for the GS release and are probably working on it. I would think another firmware upgrade is due any time.

In the meantime your efforts are more than we could have hoped for. Donation sent.

S,.
Wow that was quite rude...
The subject was brought up here and as a licensed full scale professional aviator, I can see the need for the uniformed modelers to be properly educated and not mislead.
The OP is aware to these rules as he has previously stated.
Don't be the one that ruins this hobby for the rest of us please!
Cheers,
Jim

Sketch6995 said:
hey jim
its our hobby too, we might not use ours like you use yours, im not going to keep it under 10 feet because of the FAA or anyone else, all of us in here are more than careful and are well aware of the laws rules and ADVISORIES.
I am going to fly mine exactly how I want too.

if you want to fly yours like an old woman be my guest.

theres always going to be asshats that fly in ways they shouldnt. but this isnt the thread for it, this is a thread for ilovecoffee's modified app.

Too bad we aren't using a radar altimeter. That's the only reason the GS height restriction bothers me. I don't need to fly higher than 400ft, but if it's flying up the side of a mountain, the mountain eats up your height AGL. There's a 700' high hill right next to my house. I'd love to send it up to the top to take a shot of the valley on the other side, but I can't with the current app from the base of the hill. If I could set it to 800' and send it up, it would never actually fly that high but rather end up only 100' AGL at the top (if that makes sense.)

cadsii said:
are you kidding me ? Where are you located ? We should have a beer :)

You guys should fly together. Set identical waypoints but launch 5 seconds apart. Then you'd get footage of the drone from directly behind it!!

Installed V6 on Samsung Tab 4 @ Android lvl 4.4.2. See mod message during activation of Ground station in settings but can not access ground station function from camera screen with usual swipe. Must be missing something obvious.

Hey. It would be possible to add storage or create a mission to save the mission without connecting the Phantom?

UgashikBob said:
Installed V6 on Samsung Tab 4 @ Android lvl 4.4.2. See mod message during activation of Ground station in settings but can not access ground station function from camera screen with usual swipe. Must be missing something obvious.

Make sure that Groundstation is active in the settings

UgashikBob said:

No clue. I do know on my device the swipe is pretty finicky...

abstacek said:
Hey. It would be possible to add storage or create a mission to save the mission without connecting the Phantom?

I think saving a mission is a little bit too complex for me. But it may be possible to create one before connecting. I'll put that on my to-do list to give it a shot, because it would be something that would be beneficial...maybe the home point can be assigned the location of the phone temporarily when plotting a mission and then updated once connected.
jwegener said:
cadsii said:
are you kidding me ? Where are you located ? We should have a beer :)

You guys should fly together. Set identical waypoints but launch 5 seconds apart. Then you'd get footage of the drone from directly behind it!!

Thought of that :p maybe next time. Maybe cadsii will upload a video of some of the close calls we had :p

sbarton said:
The swipe must be from far right in the new versions of the app. Its pretty finicky. You used to be able to swipe anywhere. I liked the old way.

Oh, then I think I can fix that by looking at what it was set to in an earlier version.

On a side note, I think I may have sorted out the whole direction facing thing but it's a shot in the dark. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

Re: UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android multiview feature requ

Hi Gents,
It would be great if anyone produces a way for the wifi video connection to allow more than one connection to view the video. Those who are looking at the code might find a way to remove the limit. That would be a handy feature. As much as I can determine, the wifi for the camera and the extenders do not care how many clients are connected, but the Vision application only responds to the first connection that is allocated. I have had success in viewing the video on a laptop that was connected to the Vision app and Phantom using Bluestack software. The control icons were only active on the tablet. I would not want more than one control app be allowed to connect, only video. Although it might be useful for handoff in a mission planned long flight circuit. Hmmmmm...
Cheers,
Jim

Yes, this would be cool. The latest Chromecast app allows you to cast your entire screen. I was able to cast the DJI app when both connected to my home network. If I could connect my Chromecast to the Phantom router at the same time as my phone, I could cast my screen to the Chromecast!
Only concern is the Phantom router would have to be sending a lot of data to 2 devices. This might result in poor video quality on both devices and reduced FPV range. Thoughts?

-Scott

Is it possible please to mod the gallery so when you watch a video it asks you what player you want to use. Like what android does when you select a file...recognises its a video and asks which player you want.

The default gallery player doesnt seem to want to play the videos on sdcard/phone...but they work in other players such as vlc or mx.

My inability to access ground station was the finicky swipe issue. If I swipe from the far right the ground station is accessed and the maps load. Life is better. Thank you for the suggestions/fix.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164