UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Distance, Speed, etc) v11

Re: UNOFFICIAL Vision App for Android (Unlimited GS Distance

^ I'm sure it's possible but that's getting a little complex for me! You can "loop" the groundstation flights with the built in code though, it's just permanently set to false. I guess if you kept the app running and paused and resumed it, could work but would be a PITA.

Any interest in making the wifi signal boost just an option in the settings? It seems the app already talks with the Phantom via SSH for some things, so it may just be a matter of adding in a few lines of code. Then you wouldn't have to bother with opening up multiple apps. Personally this of no use to me since I've permanently changed this setting in the phantom's configuration.

srandall25 said:
Yawing simply means left stick right or left which rotates the phantom on a center axis. The camera can pitch up and down via the app, while the phantom can yaw left or right thereby turning the camera left or right. It would be nice if we could YAW the phantom with the left stick while it continues on a locked course during a mission. In other words, the phantom would only respond to the yaw command during the mission and not a mistaken throttle up or down command with the left stick...

I can only enable all or none of the controls during a flight, currently when it starts it disables "joystick" controls, which could technically be removed. I have no idea how this will affect the flight though with 2 competing requests though. I'd actually be afraid to test that...

ilovecoffee said:
srandall25 said:
Yawing simply means left stick right or left which rotates the phantom on a center axis. The camera can pitch up and down via the app, while the phantom can yaw left or right thereby turning the camera left or right. It would be nice if we could YAW the phantom with the left stick while it continues on a locked course during a mission. In other words, the phantom would only respond to the yaw command during the mission and not a mistaken throttle up or down command with the left stick...

I can only enable all or none of the controls during a flight, currently when it starts it disables "joystick" controls, which could technically be removed. I have no idea how this will affect the flight though with 2 competing requests though. I'd actually be afraid to test that...

Maybe take advantage of IOC? In IOC Home Lock, if you are flying away from you, you can spin the Phantom and it will still fly in a straight line.

-Scott

Just finished some tests.

Trying to figure out max distance there and back. Just did a circle around the neighbourhood 5100 feet, which is about 1 mile, used 24% battery. This was with 10 waypoints which i know slow down the max distance, running at 20m/s setting

24% meaning i should be able to do about 3 times that 72% usage from full or bring it down to 2.5 times that to be safe. that puts me around 12,500 feet travel distance, or 2.4 miles or 3.8 km

how does that compare to everyones numbers ? I know wind is def a factor and will vary the results.

This is what I would like to accomplish, but it's 7.7km or 25,000 feet, am I dreaming ?

I'm going to do a few more tests when the batteries are charged. Going to check straight line 1km and then straight back 1km, and see how much battery that uses.

map1.png

nice views here

map2.png

cadsii said:
Just finished some tests.

Trying to figure out max distance there and back. Just did a circle around the neighbourhood 5100 feet, which is about 1 mile, used 24% battery. This was with 10 waypoints which i know slow down the max distance, running at 20m/s setting

24% meaning i should be able to do about 3 times that 72% usage from full or bring it down to 2.5 times that to be safe. that puts me around 12,500 feet travel distance, or 2.4 miles or 3.8 km

how does that compare to everyones numbers ? I know wind is def a factor and will vary the results.

This is what I would like to accomplish, but it's 7.7km or 25,000 feet, am I dreaming ?

I'm going to do a few more tests when the batteries are charged. Going to check straight line 1km and then straight back 1km, and see how much battery that uses.

map1.png

nice views here

map2.png

I have to laugh because this is maybe 10 minutes away from me at the moment!

You should be able to do much more I think. I've easily done a straight line 3.5km there and 3.5km back and came back with about 50% battery. So 7km is easily attainable. Take it in increments though. My batteries are fairly new.

are you kidding me ? Where are you located ? We should have a beer :)

I did 22,000 feet a few days ago, just around 4 miles and came home with 51% battery remaining. Only 3 waypoints.

here is another suggestion, don't know if it's possible but here is the idea.

I do a ton of roll/yaw shots together, they look incredible.

The problem is the yaw control is way too sensitive.

Anyway to program this in. Such as start circle left, start circle right ?

The phantom would then focus on a center point and go around it while maintaining the camera on the center at all times. I know it's much, but I have to throw it out there.

Ability to lower or limit the yaw controls would also work, I am thinking of putting in a potentiometer on my yaw controls to adjust this from 120% to 0 while up in the air, this might also be a solution to this problem.

cadsii said:
here is another suggestion, don't know if it's possible but here is the idea.

I do a ton of roll/yaw shots together, they look incredible.

The problem is the yaw control is way too sensitive.

Anyway to program this in. Such as start circle left, start circle right ?

The phantom would then focus on a center point and go around it while maintaining the camera on the center at all times. I know it's much, but I have to throw it out there.

Ability to lower or limit the yaw controls would also work, I am thinking of putting in a potentiometer on my yaw controls to adjust this from 120% to 0 while up in the air, this might also be a solution to this problem.

Unfortunately circles just aren't in the existing code and I think it would be impossible for me to inject that code into the app....if I even knew how to begin with. I'm not a programmer. MAYBE DJI might roll that out into a future update, but there is no function to travel along a curve.

Also there is no way to alter yaw via the app as that is all controlled via the Tx. But someone mentioned an older version of the app you could yaw left and right with your phone's gyroscope. I've never heard of this before....I'm waiting for someone else to confirm that for me with additional details before I spend time and effort investigating that further.

Cadsii, here is a flight I did last night (I needed a break away from computers and code).. http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... nes-77147/, over 3.1 miles away with a total trip of over 6 miles with only 1 waypoint.. and I'm pretty sure I could have done another 2 miles. The waypoints are killer.. slow down, stop, speed up.. etc.. as well as headwinds (visible in the graph on my flight on the way back).. I left with about 91% battery and returned with just shy under 30% in 11 minutes.

Coffee, sorry I've not been able to contribute anything yet, I'm about to leave work and head home.. it has been a busy week.. I'll poke around more tonight!

ilovecoffee said:
Also there is no way to alter yaw via the app as that is all controlled via the Tx. But someone mentioned an older version of the app you could yaw left and right with your phone's gyroscope. I've never heard of this before....I'm waiting for someone else to confirm that for me with additional details before I spend time and effort investigating that further.

Here is a link to the old app which lets you yaw the aircraft with the accelerometer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9wtcgoyrrbp4 ... 2.apk?dl=0
And here is the link to the user manual from that time, see page 37
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3zk1fxre5eaj ... n.pdf?dl=0

That way you can keep the joysticks disabled and pitch and yaw the camera during ground station flight.
All you need to do is find the code in the old app and add it to the new one...Could it be that easy ? :)

Hope it works.

mauizoom said:
ilovecoffee said:

Here is a link to the old app which lets you yaw the aircraft with the accelerometer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9wtcgoyrrbp4 ... 2.apk?dl=0
And here is the link to the user manual from that time, see page 37
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3zk1fxre5eaj ... n.pdf?dl=0

That way you can keep the joysticks disabled and pitch and yaw the camera during ground station flight.
All you need to do is find the code in the old app and add it to the new one...Could it be that easy ? :)

Hope it works.

Awesome. It may be that easy. I'll have to take a look at where the code is different and then perhaps try to patch in the old version. I'm guessing they took it out because it could lead to noobs crashing by changing orientation?

Have you tried this personally? Does it work well? Does it completely turn around or just slightly side to side?

Jayson Hanes said:
IIRC that kind of control was "Taken out" due to a patent war over the ability to use the accelerometer as a joystick.. but .. not like we're worried about such things here, n'est pas? lol

:lol:

This mod is exactly what I've been looking for to conduct a 3 mile round trip flight. All my gear is Mac based, but I'll pick up an android device tomorrow just to get this mod. Any recommendations for an android tablet to be used exclusively for extended distance ground station flights?

Coffee - thank you for this mod!

shadow, I would say the cheapest sub $100 android tablet that runs Android jellybean should work fine -- it will only be used under these circumstances to connect to the phantom, load the maps, plot the course, and click "GO!".. the app and the android device have nothing to do with executing the mission, and you will lose FPV and telemetry anyway (unless it's in an open area that you want to fly in). Once it's on a mission, you can even shut the device off. The remote controller is not needed for any part of it, unless you want to take control back near the end of a mission (or abort a mission while in controller range, etc).. and/or you have to "reconnect" wifi so that is a bit stressful if you haven't done it before.

ilovecoffee said:
Awesome. It may be that easy. I'll have to take a look at where the code is different and then perhaps try to patch in the old version. I'm guessing they took it out because it could lead to noobs crashing by changing orientation?

Have you tried this personally? Does it work well? Does it completely turn around or just slightly side to side?

Yes, I have tried it, I used it with my Vision, it worked well. As long as you tilt the phone left or right, the aircraft yaws, you can do 360 degrees or more, no limitations, and variable yaw speed, depending on how much you tilt your phone.

shadowband said:
This mod is exactly what I've been looking for to conduct a 3 mile round trip flight. All my gear is Mac based, but I'll pick up an android device tomorrow just to get this mod. Any recommendations for an android tablet to be used exclusively for extended distance ground station flights?

thanks to this mod I am now a proud owner of the Android Acer 810, this thing is pretty slick, picked it up for 119 this morning just for this app :) my wife says thanks coffee :p

By84fRiCUAAViZa.jpg

also the app on the Android Tablet vs iOS app is 10 times better. Stupid iOS should have a native app for the **** iPad, i shouldnt have to use the iPhone app in double resolution, cause that sucks....

check out how much more i see on the android device

By_HB-XIYAALTue.jpg:large

^ LOL. Enjoy! I'll release the updated app with the moving waypoint bug eliminated shortly. Just wanted to at least get something else cool in there so people don't have to keep downloading APKs.

On a side note, it appears the Left/Right Yaw control was left in there but it's a bit verbose...I'll figure it out!

cadsii said:
shadowband said:

thanks to this mod I am now a proud owner of the Android Acer 810, this thing is pretty slick, picked it up for 119 this morning just for this app :) my wife says thanks coffee :p

By84fRiCUAAViZa.jpg

also the app on the Android Tablet vs iOS app is 10 times better. Stupid iOS should have a native app for the **** iPad, i shouldnt have to use the iPhone app in double resolution, cause that sucks....

check out how much more i see on the android device

By_HB-XIYAALTue.jpg:large

I cannot agree more with you. I tried using my wife's ipad mini and it was just horrible resolution. I'm an android guy myself but did not have a tablet now have a Nexus 7 and love it

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel