Unexpected Flight Problems

Reaction score
I tried to fly my Phantom 2 the other morning and two of my three batteries drained within 5 minutes. After swapping my last battery in, the drone refused to fly above 4 feet off the ground, even though the battery was fully charged.

Any ideas on why my drone is acting this way?

-Brian-

The batteries were all charged the day before.

The lowest lifespan reading on any of the three batteries is 95% so I suspect the batteries are in good condition.

It was a little colder that morning 37 degree F but that should not have caused such a rapid drain.

The drone and the batteries were stored inside over night, so they were out in the weather less than an hour before flying.

I flew the P2 the week before and had no problems with either of the two batteries I used that day.

The batteries are usually stored fully changed.

The batteries were all charged the day before.

The lowest lifespan reading on any of the three batteries is 95% so I suspect the batteries are in good condition.

It was a little colder that morning 37 degree F but that should not have caused such a rapid drain.

The drone and the batteries were stored inside over night, so they were out in the weather less than an hour before flying.

I flew the P2 the week before and had no problems with either of the two batteries I used that day.

The batteries are usually stored fully changed.

Storing LIPOs fully charged will kill them sooner or later - that is definitely not recommended and is why the more recent designs have self-discharge circuitry to bring them down to around 50%. You could try charging them again and repeating the experiment, but if the result is the same then the batteries are probably toast. Any sign of swelling of the battery cells?

There is no sign of swelling in any of the batteries.

I discharged all three batteries down to 6% and then recharged them.

Then I tried flying the P2 again. The batteries are holding out just fine, but the drone flies to 15-20 feet and then all lights go red and it returns home.

I checked the battery and it was still 80% charged.

Its almost like I'm loosing my GPS connection.

This happened 3 times in a row, and on the third attempt, I had to manually land the P2 as the wind was blowing it all over the place.

When I landed it, the battery was at 75%.

Not sure why it is doing this now, when a week before I had no problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl