Understanding FAA Flying Rules Here

Reaction score
I'm still trying to understand the current FAA rules while flying as a hobbyist, so any help with the following FAA map would be greatly appreciated.
  1. In order to fly in the Green boxed areas, I need to use LAANC to request authorization under the altitude listed, correct?
  2. Am I able to freely fly in the Extended Pink areas with the Pink Dashes, since there is a Green Dashed Line that separates the Green from the Pink area (if there wasn't that dashed line, I don't believe that I could fly in the pink without authorization)?
  3. Outside of the Green and Pink areas, I can freely fly, even if there is a small airport, as there are no other dashed lines, correct?

1565123214099.png

and here's an aeronautical chart of the same area...

1565123786277.png

1. Yes
2. I have never seen the pink areas before. I do see in the nautical chart that Class C changes to E at specific hours, but I doubt that is what it means. Give me some time to get home and I'll chech more into this.

1. Yes
2. I have never seen the pink areas before. I do see in the nautical chart that Class C changes to E at specific hours, but I doubt that is what it means. Give me some time to get home and I'll chech more into this.

Thanks Ansia, that would be much appreciated!
Stach

Verified the maps and is in fact the NOTAM mentioned above in the charts. You will be required authorization from LAANC in that area. The ceiling should be 400' as well.
Screenshot_20190806-233313_Chrome.jpg

I really appreciate you confirming that for me. The only question I have left is #3 and it's also where I'll spend most of my time flying. So outside of the Green and Pink areas, which are covered by LAANC, will I be able to freely fly in the non-LAANC areas?

I really appreciate you confirming that for me. The only question I have left is #3 and it's also where I'll spend most of my time flying. So outside of the Green and Pink areas, which are covered by LAANC, will I be able to freely fly in the non-LAANC areas?
Correct. If you want to fly in Class G airspace, you do not require LAANC authorization to fly.

Reactions: BigAl07
Verified the maps and is in fact the NOTAM mentioned above in the charts. You will be required authorization from LAANC in that area. The ceiling should be 400' as well.
View attachment 113589
Interestingly enough the FAA seems conflicted on this. If you watch this video from 31:20 onward, they say, twice, that you use the grid squares to determine the need for authorization.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yet they also say you need authorization in class E2 airspace which in this area extends outside the grid squares.

Reactions: Ansia

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic